• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Traveling the USA in an NSX!

Hey Guys,

With all the bozo postings we've seen here lately I thought I'd post a dream thread! Why do I call it a "dream thread" - cause it's probably a dream to think that anyone would actually strike out across the country in an NSX to see the sights for an extended period of time. Not that we all wouldn't want to but there is a practical side to travel that perhaps the NSX just might not provide.

So what made me think of this thread topic is the Ken Burns Special on all the National Parks here in the USA. I know we'd all love to take our cars thru Yosimeti National or up the Pacific Coastal Hwy into the giant redwood forests, or many other great parks and national monuments too. Many of you guys may actually do this and may have driven your cars on other great, cool drives on the great roads of the USA. We do have the best roads in the world. Some local and some not so local.

Here's your chance to tell your story of great drives you've taken in your NSX. Here's our chance to be the audience and cast in this "play" of driving the NSX around the roads and great spots in this great land of ours. So let's hear your stories and perhaps see your pictures of great spots you've visited in your NSXs! Where are the best twisties in your neck of the woods?

Maybe this will inspire us all to drive out more or further from the home front or visit one another in places across the country where the driving is particularly good - right? This could be a fun thread - let's make it so.

I'll start - with a drive that is particularly cool and close to Atlanta. Hwy. 60 right out of Dahlonega is one great drive that branches off at one point onto Hwy. 180 and is full of tight twisties and is loads of fun if you have clear sailing. My trip started out by driving into the mountains of North Georgia into Dahlonega from Atlanta, a trip that takes about an hour to get to Dahlonega. Then out of Dahlonega on Hwy 60 the fun starts - in my case no sooner did my friend and copilot turn onto 60 than we realized we were in a string of 6 or 7 cars and a LOG TRUCK!!!!! Oh sh_ _t! What were the chances, thinking that the whole excursion was about to be ruined, I settled in behind the mess and then there was a straight away just before the twisties came and the incline into the mountains - well as fortune would have it - it was winter and I could see way around the left hand sweepr thru the trees up the road and said to my bud - it's now or never. I dropped it down into second floored it and blasted around all 6 or 7 cars and the log truck in the nick of time to a PERFECTLY clear road for the remainder of the day. Not one other car in front the whole day!!!!! Twisties all to ourselves and just a super great drive for hours. Check out this site for a detail of the area on a map - http://www.unicoistatepark.org/driving.html You'll see when enlarged how twistie the roads are! It was a blast and if you know tight twisties that are banked in the mountains when you ride thru the corners it's actually more like going up and down a series of short little hills. It was just great and the view up there is really wonderful. Lot of nice creeks and streams - great places to stop for lunch etc. Just in case some of you may not know the first gold was found in Dahlonega and there are still working mines there and that's where the gold came from that adorns the capitol in Atlanta. Full of history and a great down home restaraunt - The Smith House - great food. Stop in, you won't be dissappointed.

There you have it, my little blast - short but sweet. Let's hear from the rest of you on your favorite jaunts and trips. Hope this turns out to be a great thread. Cause guys after all isn't it about the driving experience and seeing the land and meeting the folks that enjoy our passion - driving sports cars! Please include pictures if you have em! :wink:

Last edited:
Sounds great. We just got back from a long weekend in Panama City...but we didn't take the NSX and too bad, because the weather was perfect. I was thinking the whole time that it would be a gas to drive the NSX on a lenghty trip but the issue of taking a wife, set of golf clubs, and her "Overnight Trunk" is a bit overwhelming for the car and I think pulling a small U-Haul behind the NSX is a bit tacky, at best! I need an NSX-W (W=Wagon!)

tbromley, sounds like you had a great trip!!

Living in SoCal, I have access to a good combination of lots of cool local drives and nearly year-round driving weather, so I do burn a lot of road miles locally :cool:

However, this summer I took the NSX on her first road trip! I needed to head over to CO for some family business, so I figured might as well make the drive out as enjoyable as possible.

I was worried about two things mainly... comfort and gas mileage. Well, consider me pleasantly shocked on both accounts! I was averaging over 30mpg, and the car was perfectly comfortable for my size (5'10"). Storage space wasn't really an issue... I'm a single guy and I pack light so I knew I'd have no problem fitting everything in the trunk... just had to make sure to leave room in case I needed to pick up a stranded damsel in distress! :biggrin: (yeah right.)

I traveled through Nevada and Utah into Denver. The weather was perfect, the desert and the mountains were beautiful, and I can definitely say I would not hesitate to take the NSX on another road trip. One of the things I enjoy about this car is you can tell it loves to be driven... you can feel it. Sure it adds up the miles... but what better kind of car would there be to explore this nation's excellent highways? Some family sedan that was designed for the sole purpose of hauling kids and groceries around? No thanks, I'll take the NSX any day!

I live in MI and bought my NSX in El Paso, TX. A friend and I flew down to El Paso to pick it up. Then hopped in it and drive from El Paso up to Denver..which was a long day but a really nice scenic drive. Next day drove from Denver to Des Moines, where my family lives. Next day home to Michigan. over 2000 miles....just to get the car home. But it was a comfortable fun trip and a great way to get the feel of the car.

Hey Ya'll,

Rob, sounds like you missed a great op but with the wife's travel trunk ....lol....you didn't have much choice and us golfers do have a problem. So there have to be some really good roads up there around Chatt...gotta come up with somethin here - the guantlet has been thrown down dude!

Moses, great story and great pics - now that's what I'm talkin bout! And you did it all in your awesome X man, good for you. So what kind of mileage were you getting? How was the trunk for the trip?

Derek, I'd love to drive California and start there and go up the Pacific Hwy all the way to Humbolt and then on up into Washington and the parks there. You live in one of the best states in the country. I'd love to tour CA one day.

Tosugrad; what a great trip. I was just up in the Adirondaks in NY with leaves at full color and I would have loved to have had my NSX up there cruising thru the forest with absolutely no one on the road and they were really nice sweepers! Great trip- so were the roads great for blasting?

Great stuff so far. Thanks guys....hope this is one of the longest threads on Prime and it just keeps going forever. Gotta be more fun than - "I just bought a 95 NSX sight unseen" thread or some other thing like drag racing Cadillacs.....don't you think. So many awesome parts of this country and now we'll be able to figure out where we all live. Good stuff.

Last edited:
A few years back I took my car over to AL a few times to see friends and play a few rounds of golf. Also gone up to ATL a few times for NOPI back when it was worth going to.
Now I'm spoiled and only want to take our Odyssey van.

I drove from Santa Barbara to Raleigh and then from Raleigh to San Francisco. Both were great trips.:smile:

Be sure and bring a Bumper Dumper on the trip. Ask Doug how convenient they are! :wink:

If you make it to the Bay Area try to make it to one of our lunches.

Be sure and bring a Bumper Dumper on the trip. Ask Doug how convenient they are! :wink:

If you make it to the Bay Area try to make it to one of our lunches.

Good point Ken. I wouldn't consider a trip without a Bumper Dumper.:biggrin: It's always served me well.:wink:

From my home in Florida I've made round trips to Maine, Indiana, and Kansas (3 times) - all of them over 3000 miles. I love long road trips in my NSX, but it only works when I'm alone. The car isn't big enough for both of us to drive more than 1 day.

When I bought my NSX 2 years ago, I flew from Denver to Orlando and drove the NSX back home. 1800 miles in 3 days and it was one of the most enjoyable trips in my life. The NSX is a great road car, very comfortable. Each day, I couldn't wait to get up in the morning and hit the road again.

I remember on my last trip from Raleigh to San Francisco. I stopped in a gas station in Alabama to fuel up. This guy came out of the station and said in this huge Southern drawl, "What the hell is that? Bobby come over here and look at this thing." They still had that quizzical look on their faces as I pulled out of the station.

At another gas station a guy walked up to me and asked if he could take a photo of his son standing by my car. I looked over and saw this kid that was around 11 or 12 years old. He had that expression on his face that was like, yes please let me do it...

I said, "Why don't you take a photo of him sitting in the driver's seat?" Didn't see the actual photo, but that kid had a HUGE grin on his face.

I remember on my last trip from Raleigh to San Francisco. I stopped in a gas station in Alabama to fuel up. This guy came out of the station and said in this huge Southern drawl, "What the hell is that? Bobby come over here and look at this thing." They still had that quizzical look on their faces as I pulled out of the station.

Doug, was your fly open again?

I've driven from coast to coast and back. This was back during the dot com bust after I got laid off. I was planning to go back to school at the time to get my degree so I had no time schedule. Took about 4 weeks total. Told myself next time I have some time off, I may have to try the trip in the NSX. :smile:

Ok, you got me Chops - what the heck is a bumper dumper?

Now, you can't tell me after owning your car as long as you have you haven't made any trips and you're just on this thread to talk about bumper dumpers! What is up with that?

This thread is about sharing real experiences of travel and great roads - make a contribution - that goes for you and dtrigg! Yep I'm being a "keep it on topic nazi"! That's right so the gauntlet's been thrown down for both you two goobers.

I know you surely didn't buy an NSX to drive downtown just to impress the women - you must have another idea about driving sports cars OR do ya????:biggrin: You boys have been called out! Dig.....:smile:

First road trip: San Francisco to Las Vegas. Not far, but fun, although too much time was spent on I5.

Second road trip: San Francisco to Denver. Lots of high speed open-road diving with literally no one on the road but me and my soon-to-be ex-wife.

There, I did it. :cool:

(now, back to some fun. Bumper Dumper) :wink:

One trip from Corpus Christi to Seattle, the shortest route through NM and UT. 2300 miles or so.

3 trips from Corpus Christi to SoCal. 1500 miles across TX and AZ, including trips right after the war started in 01, and this last May w/out air conditioning. Despite the temp, the drives have always been comfortable.

Miner

Chops & Cosmo - thanks for the bumper dumper - you're killing me with this stuff. Does it fit on our bumpers??? Just kidding. No really....lol. That is so funny I'm saving it and sending it out to some of my other buddies that don't have NSXs. Great laugh!!!

Great trips guys and it sounds like it's not bad in the NSX.

Miner has to take the prize so far with his round trip from Corpus to Seatle. Man that was a real road trip. Did you take the Coastal Hwy. all the way up thru from Cal? That's a real dream trip of mine. Hope I get to do it soon. I just don't know how I'm gonna do it from Atlanta all the way out there with the wife - and no I do not want her to become my ex......Chops...:biggrin: Tell me that wasn't the reason you guys got divorced - a lot of travel in the NSX? Hope not anyway.

So does everyone that goes across country in their NSX buy a bumper dumper??? :wink:

I should point out for clairity and legal disclosure reasons that Ken is the exclusive West Coast distributor of the Bumper Dumper. He has a wonderful rental program if you're only interested in short time usage. Plus, he has an entire yard full of used Bumper Dumpers.

OK. Back on topic...

And you know this how Dtrigg?????:biggrin:

Don't tell me someone you know is the inventor of the "bumper dumper". BTW I sent this to my other buddies and they are weighing in as we speak - let's see ...weighing in.... no pun intended.

Ok, so how do you guys feel about the trunk size of the NSX - can it support say an 8 week trip? Has anyone ever seen a rack that might work for an NSX that won't hurt the paint that is. I'm just trying to figure out how to take the NSX across country with my golf clubs and my wife's too.

I can't think of another car I'd rather take up the Pacific Hwy. !!!! I really want to figure this out. Thanks guys - as always a big help and that "bumper dumper" - a must but I'd rather have a NEW ONE! Not a rentable item in my book.

How'd I do blending topic and bumper dumper:biggrin:

Chops & Cosmo - thanks for the bumper dumper - you're killing me with this stuff. Does it fit on our bumpers??? Just kidding. No really....lol. That is so funny I'm saving it and sending it out to some of my other buddies that don't have NSXs. Great laugh!!!

Great trips guys and it sounds like it's not bad in the NSX.

Miner has to take the prize so far with his round trip from Corpus to Seatle. Man that was a real road trip. Did you take the Coastal Hwy. all the way up thru from Cal? That's a real dream trip of mine. Hope I get to do it soon. I just don't know how I'm gonna do it from Atlanta all the way out there with the wife - and no I do not want her to become my ex......Chops...:biggrin: Tell me that wasn't the reason you guys got divorced - a lot of travel in the NSX? Hope not anyway.

So does everyone that goes across country in their NSX buy a bumper dumper??? :wink:

Only 1 way from Corpus to Seattle, via the middle part of America. Up through the 4 corners area (Chaco Canyon, Moab) to Salt Lake City, then through Boise, and into Oregon and then WA at the Tri Cities and finally to western Wa. I have driven up and down the I-5 from SD to Seattle too many times to remember, but never the full 1200 miles in my NSX.

Miner

Back