• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Traveling the USA in an NSX!

I should point out for clairity and legal disclosure reasons that Ken is the exclusive West Coast distributor of the Bumper Dumper.

Correction, Ken is the exclusive West Coast distributor of the 5 gallon liner Bumper Dumper only.:wink::eek: Not the 3 gallon or the 10 gallon.:biggrin:

Man Miner, what a great trip! That trip up thru the Rockies and 4 corners area is some of the best and coolest areas in the country. I have a great friend out there in Denver and I've gotten with him 3 times for cool trips around Colorado and we went to the 4 corners area on one part of our excursions there and it was really cool. Have you ever heard of the Far View Inn??? Great place to hang and visit the cliff dwellings and I am really anxious to go to Moab and Choco. Great places. My friend just got back from Moab - really neat!

I would love to take the Pacific Coastal Hwy all the way up thru Ca, Oregon (Bandon Dunes) and into Washington to Seatle to see Olympic Park. What a trip and catch Humbolt and the Redwood National Forrest along the way! A real dream - so would you say that would be a great one after as much as you've been out there?

To the rest of you - what were some of the highlights of your trips in the NSX? Was it driving a particular section of road - where were they - where are the best twisties in your areas???

Chime in guys don't be bashful to post. Anyone driven the "dragon's tail" in their NSX??? Is it worth the drive to get there?

Thanks guys,

Correction, Ken is the exclusive West Coast distributor of the 5 gallon liner Bumper Dumper only.:wink::eek: Not the 3 gallon or the 10 gallon.:biggrin:

Thanks for the insight and update Alan. Always good to know facts.:wink:

Man Miner, what a great trip! That trip up thru the Rockies and 4 corners area is some of the best and coolest areas in the country. I have a great friend out there in Denver and I've gotten with him 3 times for cool trips around Colorado and we went to the 4 corners area on one part of our excursions there and it was really cool. Have you ever heard of the Far View Inn??? Great place to hang and visit the cliff dwellings and I am really anxious to go to Moab and Choco. Great places. My friend just got back from Moab - really neat!

I would love to take the Pacific Coastal Hwy all the way up thru Ca, Oregon (Bandon Dunes) and into Washington to Seatle to see Olympic Park. What a trip and catch Humbolt and the Redwood National Forrest along the way! A real dream - so would you say that would be a great one after as much as you've been out there?

To the rest of you - what were some of the highlights of your trips in the NSX? Was it driving a particular section of road - where were they - where are the best twisties in your areas???

Chime in guys don't be bashful to post. Anyone driven the "dragon's tail" in their NSX??? Is it worth the drive to get there?

Thanks guys,

Contact the guys in the Raleigh area. They often arrange meetings to drive the "Dragon's Tail." They post some great photos.

Don't ever drive through New Mexico.:eek: It's like a moonscape.:eek: NOTHING there for miles.

PCH from San Francisco to San Luis Obispo is a great drive. Also Highway 1 from Oxnard to Malibu is nice. See it a lot on commercials.

I've only taken my NSX on one long trip since I bought it in March with only 11,800 miles on it. In July 2009 I drove it from Orange County in southern California to the Colorado Springs area, in Colorado to show it off to my sister, her husband and their adopted teenagers from the Ukraine. I've taken my '01 and '05 S2000s from So Cal to Ohio, to Virginia and many times to Colorado, but I really don't want to run my '05 NSX into the ground with miles.

I only had seven days for the trip and four of them were spent traveling, so I stayed on the major highways for the most part, except when I jumped off of the stop-and-go I-70 coming into Denver on Sunday night. That was the most fun time, driving up to Echo Lake and taking some twisties, even though it was raining. That's when I finally discovered how fun it was. It was so great to have power and feel like it was glued to the road. My S is fun but it really lacks the torque of the NSX. Here are a few photos from that trip...

IMG_4105NSXUtah.jpg

^In Utah, on the way to Colorado.

IMG_4086NSX_Utah.jpg

^In Utah, at another rest stop.

IMG_4126NSXCOreststop.jpg

^At a rest stop in Glenwood Canyon, next to the Colorado River. The guy who owned the white mini pickup with the motorcycle in the back asked me if I'd marry him in his next life. :biggrin:

IMG_4140NSXEchoLake.jpg

^Next to Echo Lake, Colorado.

IMG_4137NSXCOwet.jpg

^Next to Echo Lake in Colorado.

IMG_4162NSXdirtyCO.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, beautiful photos Kyras! The first photo looks like a painting in the background! Love driving through that part of the country.

Wow, beautiful photos Kyras! The first photo looks like a painting in the background! Love driving through that part of the country.

:smile: Thank you, derelict. You live in Los Angeles? I love the drive to Colorado too, once you get past either Needles or Las Vegas, depending on which route you take. The so cal desert isn't too pretty. I'm thinking once a year I'll take the NSX on that trip. Around town it's just not as fun as a longer trip. But then, I worry about the hotel parking lots. I size up all the available parking spots for human hazards and possible sprinklers. On that trip in July, I spent one night each way, in Richfield, Utah. The town cop followed me around town into the Hampton Inn parking lot one night. Had the usual gas station experience too, of being asked if it was a Vet or a Ferrari. :rolleyes:

When i purchased my NSX in Virginia I drove it cross country back to California. I drove straight through with my brother, each taking turns to drive. I have to say it wasn't that pleasant of an experience and made me appreciate driving in California. I was pulled over in Virginia for doing 80 and received a two point ticket for reckless driving. Funny thing is simply going 80 or above is considered reckless. There was nothing reckless about my driving except for the speed. Never the less I felt somewhat ligitimized that I had received my first ticket in the NSX. This feeling was soon quashed when I found out that I would have to hire an attorney in Virginia to appear in court for me and get the ticket reduced. Traveling throught Amarillo Texas I found that 83 Octane was all I could fill in my car so that was fun. Also the taco bell there sucks. Traveling though Arkansas at two in the morning prompted the police to pull over my brother during his shift of driving. Apparently these backward hick ass cops had nothing to do but pull both of us out of the car and ask us if we had drugs. Searched my car without a warrant and without my permission because you know all drug dealers purchase a red sports car to transfer 10 kilos of coke. Very inconspicious I know. So after saying goodbye to Billy Bob cop and his band of three teethed deputies we proceeded without incident untill we hit New f'ing Mexico. Had a trooper tail me for 5 miles and throw on his lights and suddenly pass me then slow down to harrass me some more. He never pulled me over but thought "hey why don't I harrass this guy becasue I have nothing better to do." Same damn thing happened in Arizona. FINALLY, I arrived in California, tired, pissed, wondering if i was actually a drug dealer but didn't know it, and wishing for slumber. It all turned around when I finally got on the 10W around Palm Springs and saw a 911 twin turbo at a pretty good clip and thought "I'm home." Drove 80 miles an hour and two cops passed me without incident. Wonderful:) I can't say how much I appreciate the leniency for speed that the CHP allows. So for all those out there who live in other states I don't know how you do it or what roads you drive on but I can't stand driving in any other state and won't be traveling cross country unless it's in a truck with a fiver on the back or on a plane. Total time it took to drive across country was around 52 hours without stopping.

^Wow, that sucks. I got a ticket in Louisiana in my '05 S2000 but figured I had deserved it many times before I got that far from Cali. It always makes me agitated when people drive under the speed limit in other states. I think what happened to you may be why they do.

I'd recommend glacier in montana and jasper in Canada. If you are adventurous enough to go farther north than that, let me know.

^Wow, that sucks. I got a ticket in Louisiana in my '05 S2000 but figured I had deserved it many times before I got that far from Cali. It always makes me agitated when people drive under the speed limit in other states. I think what happened to you may be why they do.

I was so paranoid after the ticket in Virginia we did the speed limit all the way to CA. The second stop the police didn't even mention anything about our speed. Just commented that we were "running the car hard" and claiming we were "overheating." Really, overheating? Didn't know cops were suddenly experts on the NSX. You are definetly correct that people in other states adhere to the speed limit as if their life depended on it. I'm not critizing the speed law but rather why would anyone own an NSX in another state? I guess the occassional drive thorugh the twisties would suffice but I couldn't stand driving on the highway with the fear that I'm always a target. Hence the love I have for other Californian sports car owners. When there are more of them I don't stick out as much. In other states people were looking at me like a was driving the most exotic car in the world. I could have told half the people at the gas stations I stoppd at that my car was a jet plane and they would have believed me.

Hi guys,

I want everyone here that is checking in on this thread and contributing that Kyras has captured the spirit of things here! She's just gotten her car a few months ago and already she's taken a great trip and has photos to show us. That's what I'm talkin bout! Thank you very much Kyras for really being in the spirit of this thread. I need to take some pics of my last trek that happened just yesterday and I didn't even have my camera.

It was a beautiful cold and windy day here in Atlanta yesterday with the highs in the mid 50s - not golfing weather but surely was good driving weather so my wife and I took off for the north GA mountains up 575 up thru Blue Ridge and on to Blairesville and the car did just grand! What a solid cruiser it is. I hadn't been in it that long since I drove it from Nashville home from Barney;s, the barn man. Anyway, a side bar, had a set of Eibach springs in a box in the trunk; we stopped and did grocery shopping and got all the bags to the car and said oh heck- the springs in the trunk I don't know if we'll get everything in - we did - all of it in the trunk - amazing trunk! Amazing car! My wife loved that!

Great drive though - leaves had just started to show a little color. This is the best time of year in many ways in Atlanta. Great drive but I have no pics - I gotta do better than that.

I've thought that this thread should just become like a drivers diary. A thread that is it's own topic - all about trips we take, jaunts up the twisty back roads in America and other parts of the world. Anywhere there are NSXs this should just become an ongoing drivers thread that never ends - a pictoral forever of everyone's trips and pictures if you care to share! What do ya'll think?

I picked up my NSX in June from Bob Stone a member here from California. My girlfriend and I flew out to LA and picked up the car. We went to Disneyland and then started out trek back to Oklahoma.

I apologize for the picture quality in advance.

First night of ownership at Disneyland.
100_2162.JPG

The Hoover Dam.
100_2511.JPG

The Grand Canyon.
100_2572.jpg

Somewhere in New Mexico.
100_2636.jpg

And the first autox a week after getting her home.
IMG_0994.jpg

While not as new or perfect as a lot of the NSXs I see here I've still loved every minute of ownership so far. We're planning on real trip next summer.

I remember this Slebidia, and the pics from June - great pics - good to see em again. Glad to hear the car is running well and your having a lot of fun with it. Do you have to put it up for the winter?

Anyway, hope this thread is still going next season when you go off on NSX Trek part II and you can post then!

Now to comment on nubuch's paranoia - hey we're all paranoid when we're not at home. When you have an out of state tag on your car and you are in "podunk" USA - beware! Common sense - do I feel that way in Atlanta - ummmmm - NO. I know the roads here, I know the areas and I know patterns - and I "choose wisely" - remember that part in Indiana Jones - when the old crusader knights Templar said "he chose poorely" - you get the drift. Around Atlanta we have some really neat roads and twisties and we "ain't skeirt" or paranoid - we just know a little about "timing". You gotta know that in CA too I bet! :biggrin:

I remember this Slebidia, and the pics from June - great pics - good to see em again. Glad to hear the car is running well and your having a lot of fun with it. Do you have to put it up for the winter?

Anyway, hope this thread is still going next season when you go off on NSX Trek part II and you can post then!

I don't really have to put it up for winter. We usually get 2-4 icy days in the winter and that's about it. I should have the CRX put back together by then or I'll be driving the Miata.

I picked up my NSX in June from Bob Stone a member here from California. My girlfriend and I flew out to LA and picked up the car. We went to Disneyland and then started out trek back to Oklahoma.

I apologize for the picture quality in advance.

^Thanks for posting the photos. They were fine. I'm sometimes a little bit embarrassed when I'm out in public taking photos of my car. But not enough to really care if people think I'm nuts. :rolleyes:

Well my story. I was looking for an NSX for awhile, found one on craigslist, in South Carolina, Im in Tampa FL, called the guy asked if he still had it, yes he did,, told him I would be there tomorrow morning,, got my bags packed, told the girlfriend to pack,, typed in the address in the navi,, drove the 2005 TL to SC. purchased the car, drove it thru Atlanta Georgia, all the way home,, the only thing I have to say about the drive was my A_S was sore those seats are not made to drive long distances,,but would do it again!!

Thanks guys,

Word. Utah and NM were awesome as is almost all of the western US, even in the desert.

I remember driving in Montana back in 97 just after the repeal of 55 MPH and MT had no posted speed limits. Some absolutely great driving, and at 100+ MPH, one doesn't appreciate it (the scenery).

The PCH from SF to SLO is 1 of the best day's driving one can ever make.

Miner

Last edited:
... purchased the car, drove it thru Atlanta Georgia, all the way home,, the only thing I have to say about the drive was my A_S was sore those seats are not made to drive long distances,,but would do it again!!

Do you have a bony ass? :wink:

My seat padding and my '05s seat padding are a good match. No soreness here. :smile:

There's another thread going here right now - just started entitled - what's the longest time you've been in the seat...something like that. Let me tell you - the trip from SC to Tampa wouldn't even come close to the serious seat time some were talking. I just drove from Houston to Nashville when I picked up my car in one day - now that was a long one but my rear was fine till about the last hour but I was tired anyway. That was a long day.

The seats in the NSX are great for cruising anywhere IMHO! I'm trying to figure out how I can find some really cool rack for use on long trips I can put golf clubs in and strap this stuff on so I could take the NSX all over the country when I retire.

I am currently on day 29 and mile 5800 on the great american road trip in my black 93 NSX.

Most of the trip has been with my wife and we stopped at three different conferences across the country: Jackson Hole, WY, Yellow Springs, OH (Antioch College) and Williamsburg VA. We also spent Columbus (3) day weekend in Washington, DC.

Other than that is has been on the road. I took the northern route very near the Canadian Border to get from Jackson Hole to Yellow Springs. I would have gone through South Dakota but the forest fires in Yellowstone prohibited that route. I went through Montana instead.

After Ohio we dropped south to Mamouth Cave, KY (highly recommended, if you like caves.) We were sort of on a Frank Wright architecture tour, so we turned north to Mill Run, Pennsylvania for Falling Water and Kentuck Nob. Further east we stopped at the Hans Herr House in Lancaster County, PA, my wife's 10 generation ancestor. Before family we stopped at friends in Deleware.

After visiting very old friends in Raligh, we spent 4 days at Williamsburg, VA and the last conference. My wife flew home and I continued on. I swear, my wife on her death bed will be the first person to ever say, "Damn, I wish I spent more time at the office!"

Since I am a bit of an aviation nut, I stopped at Kitty Hawk and Kill Devil Hills in NC -- site of the first glider flights and first powered flight by the Wright brothers (a different Wright than the architect -- and VERY different personalities!)

Next I headed across NC to the Great Smoky Mountain NP and then south to the Gulf of Mexico, where the rain is just stopping.

I have 10 minutes to check out of this motel, so I have to wrap this up without proof reading it. In short, but the time the trip is over I'll have had the NSX in 40 of the lower 48 states, missing only AZ, SD and the 6 New England states. Perhaps next summer a visit to friends in Vermont (and going through SD) I'll get 47 of the 48. And it is not THAT far from Denver to AZ.

I can post pictures if anyone is interested at a later date. Let me know

Mark

I am currently on day 29 and mile 5800 on the great american road trip in my black 93 NSX.

I can post pictures if anyone is interested at a later date. Let me know

Mark

What an awesome trip! Wish I had the time to do it!!

Post some pictures when you can!

Wow mskrotzki, you are the man with the travelin plan - dude you gotta be winning the prize with this one - that is if there was a prize :biggrin:- but what a great road trip and you bet we want to see pics. Sounds like you have no trouble at all traveling in your NSX and I guess that all your packing fit in the car! Again WOW! Just goes to show you how versitile this car is. I bet you don't have any golf clubs with you though! I need a travelin rack for clubs!

Sure am glad to see all these posts guys - we are up to 48 posts so far. Thanks to everyone that is contributing. Keep it up. :smile:

Back