• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Trouble accessing Forums from AOL?

Lud

Legendary Member
PrimeAdmin
I got the following question recently. I have never experienced the problems described. I believe he accesses the site exclusively through AOL, which I never use. Can anyone suggest how to resolve it?

...whenever I select "forums" from the Prime homepage, I get the gray colored error message (gray square, about half page size) that says, "having trouble xxxxx scripts from this page. error number=xxxx line number=xxxxx. Continue running scipt anyway?" I always select yes and it *almost* always continues with no probs. Any ideas??

The AOL browser stinks which is what causes the problems. You have to code separately for different browsers which isn't worth the time anymore. There are inconsistencies between explorer and netscape, but almost everyone uses explorer now.
Older version will bring this up as well sometimes. It's harmless so as long as the page loads and functions he shouldn't worry about it. If he spends some time surfing the net with AOL he'll notice that error on quite a few pages. Of course he can always upgrade and see if it goers away, but upgrading AOL is like playing Russian Roulette with your computer.
smile.gif

Doesn't AOL provide a TCP/IP connection letting you run your own software (such as regular IE or Netscape) if you prefer? I seem to remember reading they went to standard TCP/IP a few years ago so people could run third party mail clients, etc.

I haven't used AOL in a while so I'm not sure. If that is the case, then just switching to the new Explorer will fix his problem.
There is a place in AOL to turn of Java scritps etc, but I don't use it so I don't know. It shouldn't effect his ability to view the site.

unfortunately, I use AOL. However, I have never had any problems ringing up the Forums. I suggest once the person does get through to the Forums, they then choose it as one of their Favorite Places by clicking on the heart icon. They can then get here directly without having to go through the Prime Home Page. I just tried getting back here from the Home Page and I did not have any trouble, must be something on his end?
Keith

It IS possible that they are using an older version of AOL. Unless I am mistaken, the AOL 5.0 and 6.0's browser is actually Internet Explorer (5.0 I think). Older versions of AOL had their own wacky browser with a ton of issues...I remember one of my web pages could hardly be accessed from within their earlier browsers due to the way it responded to some of my formatting codes.

And many versions of AOL do provide a TCP/IP connection (back when I was using AOL as my ISP, I only used Netscape with it).

------------------
--akira3D
'00 Acura NSX-T (red/black), '97 Honda Civic HX (black), '01 Lexus IS300 (black/black)
"Reality is better than the dream..."

akira3d.com/nsx

Back