• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Turbo Recommendations---Angus Kit Setup...

I am going to purchase the Angus kit soon. I may purchase a turbo separately. What are your thoughts on which turbo to go with? I am going with meth injection, 3.2 motor, 550cc inhectors, and my goal is 420-430 WHP. I am going to go with a Journal Bearing turbo to keep cost down. PM'd Angus and he recommended the PTE 6765, I was also considering the 6262 turbo. Here are the specs on a new one that I found on the turbo.

PTE 6765 Billet HP Journal Bearing
"S" Compressor cover 4" INLET/2.5" OUTLET
65mm, 76 trim
T4 V Band/ .81 AR
EXTERNAL WASTEGATE

This will be a street driven car ans would like to keep it similar to the N/A curve. My question is what are you thoughts? Or, what are you recommendations?

Last edited:
If you are buying the kit from Angus, he has as much or more knowledge than 95% of us here on prime, just take his recommendation and go with it. I would say the same with STMPO,SOS, and Lovefab. They all know their kit better than anyone else. The only thing I might add is a journal bearing turbo will be just fine, I have a friend that builds and tunes race cars (He has a 7.05 et.@205 mph. so called street car) and he states that ball bearing turbo is only for the guys with too much money. With todays electronics, ie. two step launch control and anti-lag , you will be able to program the car to be almost as good as ball bearing turbo. He states you will not be able to tell by seat of the pants testing. A dyno will show you some slightly different numbers , but he states the driver will not likely be able to tell the difference.

You don't need a 6765 turbo for 400-500 whp. That turbo is capable of 850-900 whp. Unless you want more lag the 6262 will be just fine for your HP goal.

6262 or 6265 hands down for your goals(and above). I'm surprised Wil didn't suggest the same honestly.

I have the standard 67mm journal bearing turbo from Angus. I'm an old school guy that likes a little bit of lag because when the boost hits it's really out of control. :eek: That being said, I don't hit full boost until about 4000-4200 rpm's. If you get a 67mm BB turbo the full boost may come on about 200rpm's lower. Some other guys run the 58mm BB turbo and are hitting full boost by 3500+-. Since most of the time my car spends its life at least at 3800rpm's I'm nearly at full boost. Shift points at 7000 rpm's bring the next gear at 5500 or better so your are at full boost.

I don't know what my AR is but I know one member who bought the same exact kit as mine went with a smaller AR .82 perhaps and brought his spool rpm's down by a few hundred rpm's.

I will say one other thing, spool time can be improved with a good tune. There is no reason that AFR's need to be under 12 when you are only at 1-4 psi which means you can lean out the motor a "little" when boost is building and that really fattens up your torque curve. I made over 330 ft lb of Torque on my second tune on a Mustang dyno and that is more than any other 400rwhp car except for BOBK which Mase installed his turbo and he's making an insane 350+ RW Torque and at a low rpm.

I would say stoplight to stoplight a smaller turbo would help you hang with that pesky ZR1 or AMG55. There is nothing wrong with the standard "old clunky" 67mm Journal bearing unit. I am one of those people that tend to find a happy medium and stick with it. If you are someone who is always tweaking and fiddling with things to eek out the most HP etc etc, I may think you will be happy with the 6262 because you will get fast spool and big hp. I think the smaller turbo's may build boost to 8psi and then taper off to 6psi at red line because they just don't flow enough................Maybe an electronic boost controller can make up for that but I have a simple Turbo XS and that works for me. I am also happy with the smaller 440CC injectors. The larger the injector, the less precise the fuel delivery if you use an AEM FIC. I state that even though the difference may be imperceptible. With my Walbro 255 and 440's I maintain 11.6-11.8AFR's at redline all day long.

If you go with the Angus kit, you will have a $hit eating grin on your face no matter what turbo you choose. :wink::wink::wink: FI is the best thing that ever happened to our beloved cars.

I have the standard 67mm journal bearing turbo from Angus. I'm an old school guy that likes a little bit of lag because when the boost hits it's really out of control. :eek: That being said, I don't hit full boost until about 4000-4200 rpm's. If you get a 67mm BB turbo the full boost may come on about 200rpm's lower. Some other guys run the 58mm BB turbo and are hitting full boost by 3500+-. Since most of the time my car spends its life at least at 3800rpm's I'm nearly at full boost. Shift points at 7000 rpm's bring the next gear at 5500 or better so your are at full boost.

I don't know what my AR is but I know one member who bought the same exact kit as mine went with a smaller AR .82 perhaps and brought his spool rpm's down by a few hundred rpm's.

I will say one other thing, spool time can be improved with a good tune. There is no reason that AFR's need to be under 12 when you are only at 1-4 psi which means you can lean out the motor a "little" when boost is building and that really fattens up your torque curve. I made over 330 ft lb of Torque on my second tune on a Mustang dyno and that is more than any other 400rwhp car except for BOBK which Mase installed his turbo and he's making an insane 350+ RW Torque and at a low rpm.

I would say stoplight to stoplight a smaller turbo would help you hang with that pesky ZR1 or AMG55. There is nothing wrong with the standard "old clunky" 67mm Journal bearing unit. I am one of those people that tend to find a happy medium and stick with it. If you are someone who is always tweaking and fiddling with things to eek out the most HP etc etc, I may think you will be happy with the 6262 because you will get fast spool and big hp. I think the smaller turbo's may build boost to 8psi and then taper off to 6psi at red line because they just don't flow enough................Maybe an electronic boost controller can make up for that but I have a simple Turbo XS and that works for me. I am also happy with the smaller 440CC injectors. The larger the injector, the less precise the fuel delivery if you use an AEM FIC. I state that even though the difference may be imperceptible. With my Walbro 255 and 440's I maintain 11.6-11.8AFR's at redline all day long.

If you go with the Angus kit, you will have a $hit eating grin on your face no matter what turbo you choose. :wink::wink::wink: FI is the best thing that ever happened to our beloved cars.

Thank you! Great response..... I am leaning towards the 6262 billet, journal bearing turbo. I would want a quicker spool and I drive in the higher rpm range. I am trying to decide which AR to go with. .58, .63, .68, Or .82. Is there a big difference between the 4 AR's?

I have no ided about AR sizing. There is a point when too small is BAD. Just buy what Wil tells you to. If you're not happy, AR's are easy to change and cheep.

6765 for 420-450whp goals............LOL. This was his serious recommendation?

This turbo is for 800+whp setups. ONLY. Nothing else. For anything else there are far better recommendations such as a 58mm billet wheel'd unit for under 550whp or even a 62mm unit capable of 700-800whp.

Thank you! Great response..... I am leaning towards the 6262 billet, journal bearing turbo. I would want a quicker spool and I drive in the higher rpm range. I am trying to decide which AR to go with. .58, .63, .68, Or .82. Is there a big difference between the 4 AR's?

.82ar is fine for the 6262. You should have very little lag with a 3L.

6765 for 420-450whp goals............LOL. This was his serious recommendation?

This turbo is for 800+whp setups. ONLY. Nothing else. For anything else there are far better recommendations such as a 58mm billet wheel'd unit for under 550whp or even a 62mm unit capable of 700-800whp.

Thats what I thought too. Most nsx guys go supercharge because they hear people complain about turbo lag. If they got the right size turbo for their setup in the first place there would be minimal lag.

There will be a noticeable difference in lag between the two turbos.

I am going to purchase the Angus kit soon. I may purchase a turbo separately. What are your thoughts on which turbo to go with? I am going with meth injection, 3.2 motor, 550cc inhectors, and my goal is 420-430 WHP. I am going to go with a Journal Bearing turbo to keep cost down. PM'd Angus and he recommended the PTE 6765, I was also considering the 6262 turbo. Here are the specs on a new one that I found on the turbo.

PTE 6765 Billet HP Journal Bearing
"S" Compressor cover 4" INLET/2.5" OUTLET
65mm, 76 trim
T4 V Band/ .81 AR
EXTERNAL WASTEGATE

This will be a street driven car ans would like to keep it similar to the N/A curve. My question is what are you thoughts? Or, what are you recommendations?

if you want the right set up.. get your credit card out and pm hybridtheory911

buy what he says = you win

if you want.. mention things like flow charts and efficentcy rates... then say.. I dont understand that stuff but wow.. you really do...

get an education from the man with the most knowledge = you win

dawk for the win

You guys are correct, forgot the 58 came out(I haven't used one personally yet), but it's performing very well, and would be better suited for his goals.

Back