• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Anyone running SOS Turbo kit with just AEM FIC?

I am considering SOS Turbo kit since CTSC no longer is available. Are there anyone running the SOS kit with just AEM FIC on NA2?

To best of my understanding, SOS kit will allow running existing exhaust set up. I am not after big power. I just want healthy reliable power bump while keeping my current exhaust set up (Pride V2+Pride high flow cats).

I am considering SOS Turbo kit since CTSC no longer is available. Are there anyone running the SOS kit with just AEM FIC on NA2?

To best of my understanding, SOS kit will allow running existing exhaust set up. I am not after big power. I just want healthy reliable power bump while keeping my current exhaust set up (Pride V2+Pride high flow cats).
I don't want to be that guy but since we've been chatting offline i'll throw in my $0.02. I think an F/IC is a really bad idea. I wouldn't want an Atari to run my car when I could get an XBox. I know it's tough with the OBD2 so F/IC seems to be the default but there are more advanced units from Haltech now that would do the job. Here in SoCal there seems to be only Bisi (whom i'd trust) to tune on AEM units. Maybe worthwhile to ask him what he thinks.

Personally, if i'm going to risk my motor with a high HP power adder + F/IC i'd much rather just keep it stock and go with 4.4 gears or go with a stock CTSC and deal with the heatsoak issues.

Just my personal opinion. Take it FWIW :)

I don't want to be that guy but since we've been chatting offline i'll throw in my $0.02. I think an F/IC is a really bad idea. I wouldn't want an Atari to run my car when I could get an XBox. I know it's tough with the OBD2 so F/IC seems to be the default but there are more advanced units from Haltech now that would do the job. Here in SoCal there seems to be only Bisi (whom i'd trust) to tune on AEM units. Maybe worthwhile to ask him what he thinks.

Personally, if i'm going to risk my motor with a high HP power adder + F/IC i'd much rather just keep it stock and go with 4.4 gears or go with a stock CTSC and deal with the heatsoak issues.

Just my personal opinion. Take it FWIW :)

Thank you Ryu, I prefer CTSC as well. Issue is finding one. If anyone want to sell CTSC, please hit me up. I pay price one can not refuse.

How is there any advantage to the RRFPR over an F/IC? The latter will still heat soak and pull timing.

I'm not sure when cutover happens in an OBD2 ECU when closed loop switches to open loop (like under what load conditions) but you're effectively manipulating short and long term fuel trims with the F/IC. I'm sure with lots of tuning time you can make consistent adjustments to the F/IC maps to where the inputs are smaller and smaller but in tuning my other OBD2 with a piggyback I was chasing the tune as the OEM ECU made changes to accommodate your last tune.

If you can shed some light on how you're tuning yours, please share.

I feel your pain. Ironically, I’ve got the last iteration of an autorotor CTSC in my car now and have been toying with the idea of selling my CTSC setup and going back to stock + 4.4 gearing or going full send with an SOS or ASM turbo. I’m not particularly enthusiastic about the emissions conundrum but as is, I’m concerned about the long term impact of heatsoak and solving that would require changes that reduce the simplicity and attractiveness of the CTSC. The only reason I haven’t pulled it off already is in part because there’s been no pressing need, but also fear that I’d regret it.

I’m still researching my options and figuring out what makes sense financially, but if you’re set on an SC, PM me and we can chat further.

And they both will still heat soak but i'm certain one will pull timing.. but the other (F/IC) I can't be certain when it'll pull timing because effectively the F/IC is controlling the spark. Too much uncertainty for my blood pressure and wallet :)

This also seems off to me, as the F/IC cannot advance timing. The stock ECU pulls timing based on temperature. Nothing about that changes when adding the F/IC. All it can do it pull more timing based on the programmed tables.

As far as closed-loop operation, I agree that the fuel trims will seek time undo any changes made by a piggyback. But that’s also true of a fuel-pressure based tuning approach. If you want an AFR different from the factory ECU under closed-loop operation, you should use a stand-alone controller.

This also seems off to me, as the F/IC cannot advance timing. The stock ECU pulls timing based on temperature. Nothing about that changes when adding the F/IC. All it can do it pull more timing based on the programmed tables.
The F/IC cannot advance timing (one of the inadequacies of the unit). It can pull timing. The OEM ECU can still advance timing or rather not pull timing which the F/IC takes signals from the ECU. So who will win....?

Anyway, not a subject i'm interested in going into further. I'm happy to be wrong. It's not a platform i'd put in my car.

I feel your pain. Ironically, I’ve got the last iteration of an autorotor CTSC in my car now and have been toying with the idea of selling my CTSC setup and going back to stock + 4.4 gearing or going full send with an SOS or ASM turbo. I’m not particularly enthusiastic about the emissions conundrum but as is, I’m concerned about the long term impact of heatsoak and solving that would require changes that reduce the simplicity and attractiveness of the CTSC. The only reason I haven’t pulled it off already is in part because there’s been no pressing need, but also fear that I’d regret it.

I’m still researching my options and figuring out what makes sense financially, but if you’re set on an SC, PM me and we can chat further.
I sent you a pm, but your mail box is full

Ended up going with Science of Speed Supercharger. I tried so hard to find basically any supercharger ( used or new Comptech whipple, autorotor, SOS), no luck what so ever, finally found and purchased a brand new SOS SC unit. I be running low boost set up with injectors, fuel pump, AEM FIC, and dyno tuned. Hopefully it will be ok.

The cost is same as SOS Turbo kit. Almost makes no sense not to go turbo. I was so emotionally attached to my previous NSX, I am trying to built it to be like my last one to relive the journey. Then start another project nsx after with SOS turbo.

If money isn't issue, just get Motec ECU such as M84, M800, etc. It offers engine protection with adjustable traction control system like those race cars.

Last edited:
If money isn't issue, just get Motec ECU such as M84, M800, etc. It offers engine protection with adjustable traction control system like those race cars.
Unfortunately, in California the smog is bigger issue :frown: My SOS SC install is currently underway.

Had a ride in 2.3L SC with AEM Infinity with short gears and 4.44 R&P. It was quite impressive.

Back