• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Type R in current issue of EVO magazine

Just arrived in mail, may not be in stores yet.

Attachments

• evo_cover.jpg
    evo_cover.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 825
Good find naaman

here is something I found there

The glassy cockpit has a very cab-forward feel, especially after peering over the endless acreage of the Corvette's bonnet. Sat low and laid back, you immediately feel how different the mid-engined NSX is to any of the other cars here. The pedals and gearshift are light and deliciously precise, while the exquisitely vocal VTEC V6's parched, prickly yowl proves the engine is still a gem. There have been some chassis changes too, with stiffer front springs and thicker rear anti-roll bar, together with 17in wheels all-round (the old car had 16s at the front), in an effort to increase body control and reduce the old car's tendency to roll into oversteer. Some magic has obviously been worked, for even self-confessed Porsche addict Hayman is utterly smitten.

'I adore 911s, but I'd forgotten how very close the NSX is to perfection. That fantastic wail between 6000 and 7000rpm stands the hairs on the back of my neck to attention, and the gearchange is undoubtedly one of the finest ever. Look at the power figures and you could be tricked into thinking the NSX is old, dated and slow. Until you drive it...

'It covers ground at an astonishing speed that defies the horsepower figures. The more I pressed on, the more I was impressed. In fact it's only let down by the slight vagueness of the steering. I'd love to own an NSX, but would I choose one over a 911? If I had my sensible 'badge means nothing' head on, and just focussed on how much I enjoyed driving it, I probably would.' Blimey.

It's odd, but the first time any of us drives the NSX we all hate the steering, but once into the groove it annoys less and less. Okay, so it is too slow and heavy in outright terms, but you soon accept that the steering accurately dictates the optimum pace at which the NSX can be driven. Push too hard on the way into a corner, provoke a bit of understeer, and you need to reach for an uncomfortable extra quarter-turn of lock to get the nose turned in. Likewise if you're brutal on the exit and need to contain oversteer, the weight and slowness of the steering discourages you from beasting it again. Stay neat and work all four tyres to their optimum, and the NSX flows with addictive ease and precision. A dozen years down the line, it's still a class act.

It came n second behind the Porsche C4S and ahead of the Corvette Z06

serialNSXer said:
Just arrived in mail, may not be in stores yet.

Can you post it here?

And overall, how is the magazine. Would you recommend subscribing to it?

Evo is the best car magazine I have ever read (YMMV). I find that the US magazine "never met a car they didn't like," and that's disingenuous to the readers. The UK pubs routinely thrash cars that don't make their grade. And Evo lays it out as best as it gets, though they lean towards most anything Porsche. But the fact that they rated the Type-R as their car of the year last year, tells me that this is the publication for me. Great writing, great analysis of "driving feel," and not limited to just car stats. After reading an article, I can often describe how it feels to have driven the car, without actually having been their. Subscribe...yes.

EVO Magazine

Living in the UK and being a subscriber, I'm lucky enough to get the first copy of EVO as soon as its available. It really is truly excellent, some of the features they've pulled together are stunning, for example they managed to get a Ferrari 288GTO, F40, F50 & Enzo together for a comparison test a couple of months ago; you'd bre surprised by the winner! The Evo Car of the Year is always superb, and again some of the cars they get together are awsome. The standard of writing & photography is the best I've ever seen, I'd probably pay double the price (but don't tell the distributors that (!))

EVO is my preferred choice also. I don't always agree with their opinions, but I never get the feeling they're out to please everyone. I've been a regular reader from when they were still called Performance CAR.

Re: EVO Magazine

trackdemon said:
Living in the UK and being a subscriber, I'm lucky enough to get the first copy of EVO as soon as its available. It really is truly excellent, some of the features they've pulled together are stunning, for example they managed to get a Ferrari 288GTO, F40, F50 & Enzo together for a comparison test a couple of months ago; you'd bre surprised by the winner! The Evo Car of the Year is always superb, and again some of the cars they get together are awsome. The standard of writing & photography is the best I've ever seen, I'd probably pay double the price (but don't tell the distributors that (!))

Come on man, you have to tell us which one of the Ferraris won.

And one more thing, since you are in Britain. If you had to make a choice, like me, between EVO magazine, or the British AUTOCAR magazine, which would you think is the better choice?

Thanks

I give a thumbs up to EVO as well. Its an excellent magazine and tons better than any of the major US car mags.

From the issues Ive seen, I'd prefer EVO over Autocar. (although I used to pickup copies of both...)

Re: Re: EVO Magazine

cmhs75 said:
Come on man, you have to tell us which one of the Ferraris won.

And one more thing, since you are in Britain. If you had to make a choice, like me, between EVO magazine, or the British AUTOCAR magazine, which would you think is the better choice?

Thanks

OK, the (surprising!) result was:

4th F40
3rd Enzo
2nd 288GTO
1st F50

And no, I haven't got that the wrong way round ;-) If I get a chance I'll scan and mail the article to you.

AFAIK the NSX-R will be available in limited numbers in the UK this year.

btw, NSX was mentioned in CAR mag- 3/04 issue. Its in the Top 10 supercars for less than 25k pounds article.

NSX-R

Scratch earlier comment, I spoke to a UK NSX dealer and I'm told the car will not be officially available in the UK until early next year. Any imports made now would be covered by Honda warranty though.

I was browsing at a bookstore and saw the Ferrari SuperCar issue! Great article and magazine. I've always liked the F50 and am glad it won...although I do like the Enzo!!

Gotta subscribe to EVO!

trackdemon said:
I've got a scanned copy of the doc if anyone wants. Its 15MB though

read my PM to you

trackdemon said:
I've got a scanned copy of the doc if anyone wants. Its 15MB though

Can you break it up and post it in the new pictures forum? I want to see!

Procar Specials said:
Does these guys from Evo magazine write something if the NSX-R is available in UK this year?
Someone knows or heard something ?

The current EVO issue discussed in this thread describes the UK version of the Type-R. EVO says that the UK version has softer tires (which they like better for street use), a regular steering wheel with airbag (they like the JDM wheel better), and seats with added padding (they like the JDM seat padding better).

serialNSXer said:
EVO says that the UK version has softer tires (which they like better for street use)
What brand/model/size tires does the UK version use, and what does the JDM use?

From the English version Type-R site :

JDM version is: High-grip tires: Potenza RE070 (front: 215/40R17 83Y; rear: 255/40R17 94Y) (see photo). The EVO article simply states that the UK tires are ordinary looking Dunlops.

Attachments

• t4_03.jpg
    t4_03.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 156
Back