• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Type R shocks installation

I plan on doing the Type R shocks install on my 91 NSX...anybody recently do this by themselves...any recommendations...pics...things to look out for?

Ajay Sharma

If you want a few DIY tips:
1. Pay attention to the orientation of the struts before you take them out. You'll want to install the new ones the same way. If my recollection is correct, no 2 are the same so take digital pictures prior to dissassembly.
2. Use the service manual & a torque wrench
3. Get your car re-aligned after you are done, b/c the alignment will change with the lowering of the new NSX-R setup.

I am sure that there are things I am missing, but hopefully that is a start and someone else can chime in with the rest.

Well, I have started my installation...I will try to get pictures...

Very interesting ...I just put the car on jack stands...it seems that with equal height jack stands...the NSX only needs THREE of them...a testament to the stiff chasis?

AJay

I just did it recently. The only difficult part for my situation was getting the old front shocks off. They were OEM shocks, and they had to be compressed to get them out of the lower knuckle mounting point. That was a pain. I ended up using a floor jack with a piece of wood placed under the brake line mounting tab, and forcing it up like that. The new R types are shorter, and so are easy to get in once you get the old ones out.

The other important thing is to make sure you have the new shock fully loaded before you torque the nuts on it. Use the floor jack under the knuckle, and lift it until the car is lifted off the jack stand that is closest to that wheel. Then torque the nuts. Torque settings are in the manual, which is available here online if you don't have a hardcopy.

Yes, it's normal for only 3 of the 4 jack stands to be in contact with the car once it's up.

Jeff

I just started with the left rear shock....what a pain the #$& to get off...had to get a cheater bar to "spread" the lower arms in order to pry the shock loose...I thought the bolt would be hard to get off...those came off easy

AJay

Go to your nearest Autopart store and rent a spring compressor, this make the job of taking the OEM shock/spring a cinch. I took off all 4 oem and installed teins Ra by myself in less than 3hrs.

Paul

Yep, good suggestion, that will work. I tried both a McPherson Strut spring compressor, and the hack with the floor jack and piece of wood, and the hack was way faster for me - although it bent the brake line mounting tab, which was OK since I was disposing of them anyhow. It was tough working with the spring compressors there inside the wheel well.

Jeff

Attachments

• SpringCompressor.JPG
    SpringCompressor.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 332
  • JackHack.JPG
    JackHack.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 317
I got mine at Science of Speed. The NSX-R suspension is combined shocks and springs. It's a non-adjustable racing suspension, so you need to like a very stiff ride all the time. But if you do, it's awesome on the track.

Jeff A,

Nice picture...I started laughing when I saw it, b/c the right one is what I ended doing for all of the OEM shocks. Basically, I think the OEM shocks are too long for the travel of the lower arms...I guess that is good by Honda due to redundancy...but what a pain in the %$% to remove...

I ended up using an open box-end wrench and "hooked" the "brake line/shock" clamp to it and then slowly cranked on the lift in order to compress the whole shock assembly WITHOUT moving the lower arm assembly...and it worked fairly well...I wish I had your picture earlier...

Again, the Type R shocks (thanks to SOS) fit in very nicely without much difficulty...

Finish torquing everything down tomorrow...

Thanks guys for your help...it is good to know that you are not alone...

AJay Sharma

Yes I like a firmer ride but not teeth jarring. Is the Type-S a better ride? Is the Type-S worth it from the Type-R version? Also anyone have any experience with the Type-R brake kit? Is it better to go with the Type-R pads or with the Science of Speed pads that they recommend? If anyone has any advice please let me know. Also how much more does the Type-R suspension lower the car vs. Type-S kit? Thanks in advance.

Andrie Hartanto said:
The quick way is to use a long pry bar place it between bottom shock mount and lower arm. Pry the bottom mount and compress it up, use the other hand to slide it out of the way.

Maybe you can do this, but I didn't have any pry bars that would fit without disassembling the brake and knuckle, and you also have to watch out for damaging the wheel rotation sensor wire which runs thru there. Can you try it, mistican?

Jeff

ixlr8 said:
Yes I like a firmer ride but not teeth jarring. Is the Type-S a better ride? Is the Type-S worth it from the Type-R version? Also anyone have any experience with the Type-R brake kit? Is it better to go with the Type-R pads or with the Science of Speed pads that they recommend? If anyone has any advice please let me know. Also how much more does the Type-R suspension lower the car vs. Type-S kit? Thanks in advance.

The S suspension is the sport suspension which is firmer than stock but not as extreme as the R. I suggest you contact Chris at SOS and ask him for the details. He can give you lowering amounts and spring rates and such.

Jeff

ixlr8 said:

Are you asking for track driving, a sportier street drive or for looks?

Jeff A

Yes I did use a pry bar from Sears...it worked nicely with some muscle and yes you do have to be very careful with all the lines snaking around the arm, knuckle, etc...

I am going to get car aligned locally in Chicago area...

AJay Sharma

White94 said:
Are you asking for track driving, a sportier street drive or for looks?

I guess what I really want is more for sportier street driving and looks. I think the S-Type is the way to go, what do you think?

ixlr8 said:
I guess what I really want is more for sportier street driving and looks. I think the S-Type is the way to go, what do you think?

I think I would skip the Type R for sure.

I'd be picking between:

Bilstein + stock shocks = lowered, about the same ride as stock
Bilstein + Eibach = a little stiffer, still road compliant
Dali + Koni = pretty stiff, but at least springs are progressive
Type S = stiff enough to be a lot more fun on curvy roads, and a lot less fun on bumpy roads.

I have S springs + Konis and am very happy with it. It is significantly more stiff than stock though, be warned if the roads are no so good in your area.

Back