• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Ufc 102

IMO, not one of the better fight cards out there, but man oh man were there some great fights. (2) fights went to decision, but were extremely exciting. Man, congrats to the winners.

Card wasn't anything to write home about but it was fun to watch. I gave Randy 0 percent chance against Nog. He actually looked a lot better than I thought. That guy is a hero win or lose. He did some thing guys half his age are incapable of doing.

Did you see those two sweeps Nog pulled off on Randy? Can't believe Couture defended that head-arm choke early on too. Great fight. Looked like the Nogueira from Pride.

Nog/Couture should have gone 5 rounds. I miss the old UFC days of no time limits and no weight classes. And no rules. Groin shots... LOL...

Did you see those two sweeps Nog pulled off on Randy? Can't believe Couture defended that head-arm choke early on too. Great fight. Looked like the Nogueira from Pride.

How about that recovery in the 3rd round when I thought the fight would have normally been stopped? He was out, his legs gave out from under him. Nog got overzealous and didn't try hard enough to land some meaningful shots otherwise it would have been over. But Randy regained his senses and made a fight out of it.

*spoiler* well, i guess i didn't need to post that since it's all ready been discussed, but here are some *.gif's from the fights last night.

Marquardt vs Maia
ws0ojc.gif

Leben vs Rosholt
t80wnk.gif

2ui85sj.gif

Silva (Thialgo) vs Jardine
v78iz5.gif

Nog vs Couture
qragzm.gif

How about that recovery in the 3rd round when I thought the fight would have normally been stopped? He was out, his legs gave out from under him. Nog got overzealous and didn't try hard enough to land some meaningful shots otherwise it would have been over. But Randy regained his senses and made a fight out of it.

I thought the same, unbelievable recovery combined with a slight failure to capitalize :rolleyes:. Great fight.

I think Mino wanted to make Randy tap since it has not been done before. He could have finished Randy with punches, but went for the choke after Randy went down. It made for a very exciting fight imo. The undercards were a blast. Good night of fighting all around.:biggrin:

I think Mino wanted to make Randy tap since it has not been done before. He could have finished Randy with punches, but went for the choke after Randy went down. It made for a very exciting fight imo. The undercards were a blast. Good night of fighting all around.:biggrin:

I remember Randy tapped out via armbar by Enson Inoue (sp?) in Japan. Randy was a rubber snake last night, I didn't know how good his submission defense was. Nog has a good chin, it seemed Randy's punches weren't enough to hurt him. I think Nog was going for the kill but he just got too caught up in the moment. Those short chopping hammer fists wouldn't have hurt him even if they hit. I think he was hoping the ref would step in.

Marquadt fight was another surprising one to me. I thought he was going to get subbed but this dude knows how to throw a punch and time it right. It was almost textbook, just a perfect punch, nothing lucky about it, went exactly where he wanted it to go. Still a stupid move by Maia, reminiscent of Arlovski vs Fedor.

Marquadt fight was another surprising one to me. I thought he was going to get subbed but this dude knows how to throw a punch and time it right. It was almost textbook, just a perfect punch, nothing lucky about it, went exactly where he wanted it to go. Still a stupid move by Maia, reminiscent of Arlovski vs Fedor.

I thought the exact same thing and in fact told a co-worker the similarity of the Fedor vs Arlovski fight. He disagreed when I said that Maia was either going for a flying knee or a high kick, but that's what I saw. It was a high risk move out of desperation or fear...the same thing that Andre did, and the same that James Irvin did against Terry Martin. In no discipline that I've witnessed does a fighter throw such a move during practice, therefore leads me to believe it is from being desperate or fearful of the opponent!

Last edited:
I remember Randy tapped out via armbar by Enson Inoue (sp?) in Japan. Randy was a rubber snake last night, I didn't know how good his submission defense was. Nog has a good chin, it seemed Randy's punches weren't enough to hurt him. I think Nog was going for the kill but he just got too caught up in the moment. Those short chopping hammer fists wouldn't have hurt him even if they hit. I think he was hoping the ref would step in.

Yes, he's been submitted, but never in the UFC cage. And Marquardt learned his timing during the days he was fighting at the Pancrase tournaments.

I thought the exact same thing and in fact told a co-worker the similarity of the Fedor vs Arlovski fight. He disagreed when I said that Maia was either going for a flying knee or a high kick, but that's what I saw. It was a high risk move out of desperation or fear...the same thing that Andre did, and the same that James Irvin did against Terry Martin. In no discipline that I've witnessed does a fighter throw such a move during practice, therefore leads me to believe it is from being desperate or fearful of the opponent!

The only difference I saw was that I think Arlovski built confidence up before trying that move. He was pushing Fedor around the ring, I think he got arrogant with his move. Andre was arguably winning the fight before blowing it. Fedor gave him a perfect punch like Marquardt. Maia I think had the same overconfidence as he's been dominating for years, probably the best in BJJ UFC has seen in a very long time. I'll still pick Maia 9 times out of 10 over Marquardt.

Pretty sure Maia was setting up for a head kick.

I LOVE watching Maia fight, he has the best ground game I have seen. That was a bad move on his part. His jiujitsu is very entertaining to watch. As much as I like Anderson Silva rule with his standup, I love waching Maia rule on the ground. A fighter with both these guys' talents would be unreal. Just not sure that is possible, you'd need 40 years of training before you are 25. :biggrin: It was cool of Marquardt not to take another punch.

Last edited:
Yeah and what happened to the flying tooth across the cage? Savat style baby!

Gerard Gordeau vs Telia Tuli. Did you know that one of Telia's teeth got embedded in Gordeau's foot?

Gerard Gordeau vs Telia Tuli. Did you know that one of Telia's teeth got embedded in Gordeau's foot?

Man you have good memory. Did it really? that is too funny. I loved those old UFC's... smelly high school auditorium, 40 watt light bulb, and the closest judge was at the county courthouse.

These youngin's like Malibu were like 3 years old then.

Back