• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Un-frickin'-believable...

What if that was your kid? :mad:

My 11 year old nephew is about that size, and skateboards as well. I couldn't imagine my reaction if I saw a cop choking him.

If you think that was bad:

http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/2007-06-28/news/death-by-electrocutioner

http://knoxnews.com/kns/state/article/0,1406,kns_348_5565844,00.html

http://www.cleveland.com/crime/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/cuyahoga/1180514389194890.xml&coll=2

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=d8pcr70o0&show_article=1&catnum=0

http://abcnews.go.com/us/story?id=3196477&page=1

Don't be surprised. There are plenty of bad cops out there. Many people seem to not believe it when I talk about how bad it is.

I use these methods to avoid incidents with police officers http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USlwdCtzljY

That's hillarious, my wife and I just saw this movie last night! We couldn't stop laughing, haha.
"You boy's like Mexico!! Yeeha"
<Sweedish voice> "Please officer, I can't afford another ticket, can I .. do something for you, or my wife, or you do something to her..? mhhmm..."
I laughed so hard the whole movie, it was great.

OK guys.... I am not defending anything here seen on the video as it is..... BUT.... NOBODY except the guy on the ground and the cop knows what happened to get to that point BEFORE THE CAMERA STARTED TO ROLL !!!!!!!!!
we dont know if the guy on the ground assaulted the officer, is a wanted dangerous felon, had just committed some other crime besides skateboarding or any number of things. nobody here knows how old the guy on the ground is.... AGAIN... i am not defending what we see the officer doing on the vidoe as it is, neither am i condoning it !!!!!! what i am doing is trying to shed some light on the irresponsible posts of those who make assinine statements on a subject like this who have NO IDEA what took place, but are simply judgeing the situation on the LIMITED video. for all we know these three could have all just committed a crime and were using the skateboards as their getaway transportation:cool:

Stop saying you are not defending it when it sure as heck sounds like you are. You just offered up multiple outs (excuses) for why the officer did what he did, and never once really conceded the possibility that this a$$clown may just be the abusive power monger that he surely appears to be. I understand benefit of the doubt...but I also watched the same video and watched him choke out teenagers that were offering very little physical resistance. The camera kid was standing there trying to talk to the officer and HE got thrown down and arrested. Sorry....but I highly doubt those skateboarding teenagers are the hardened felons you suggest....and even if they are, the physical abuse being used by the officer HARDLY seems to be needed for the non-existent resistance of the teens. :mad:

video does not show all the events that took place. I respect the danger police go through, so some of the stuff i see i could deal with.

For some reason children think they can talk back to police officers, principals, school teachers and others that have some authority in certain situations.

When i get pulled over i treat the officer with the utmost respect. If i got arrested for doing something illegal and my dad found out i backed talked an adult with authority, i'd get a choking. Sometimes i believe some of these kids can be insenstive, disrespectful bastards that an adult raised to be that way. I don't agree with brutality but, all that other stuff was fluff when the officer seemed to be doing his job. BUT again i still don't know what ticked the officer off either. I think the officer felt these kids had no respect

If your Dad wants to beat respect into you, that is your business. It is not the responsibility of the police to beat respect into someone....especially if they have not EARNED IT!!

I agree with you. I have seen many of these partial clips that their only purpose is to misrepresent facts to mislead. Viewers do not know what happened before the start of the clip. Could the kids be disturbing the peace or harrassing pedestrians? Perhaps, they were running away from the arresting officer and one finally got chased down and pinned down while the buddy decided to clip out that segment. I can also clearly see that the kid who ran across the street was told to stay but he chose to cause a scene by start running like mad. If you were the officer, wouldn't you get all pissed off and start chasing too? I am not a big fan of some cops' attitudes. But I have to say that out of my experiences with them with my flawed behaviors such as speeding, I was treated with professional manners and respect more times than the contrary. I am not happy about the tickets and fines I got, but I am not mad at the officer's for doing their jobs either. Of course, there are bad apples in any trade. There are bad cops, bad doctors, bad lawyers, bad people, period. This clip does not prove one way or the other.
Steve

I understand your point about the running away...but to tell you the truth, if I just saw some 250lb cop choke out and beat up my 130lb friend, I would be scared and would fear for my life enough to consider running too!! I mean, seriously, look at the size of those kids and the officer. He is more that twice their size....the last thing I would want is to be on the receiving end of a police officers beating! You have no recourse for it. It become the whole, 'Well who do you think they are going to believe,' thing.

....the last thing I would want is to be on the receiving end of a police officers beating! You have no recourse for it. It become the whole, 'Well who do you think they are going to believe,' thing.

Unless of course you happen to get the whole thing on tape. But even then it will be denied. I was very surprised from the cops actions that he didn't smash the camera. If this incident weren't on camera these kids would have nothing but their word and we all know how much the police value their word, or value anything for that matter.

It's due time that some new laws are passed to prevent cops from having so much power to abuse. I also feel that any situation between the police and citizens can and should be recorded by the citizen and that any officer who tries to take the camera or damage the camera is immediately guilty of a crime.

video does not show all the events that took place. I respect the danger police go through, so some of the stuff i see i could deal with.

For some reason children think they can talk back to police officers, principals, school teachers and others that have some authority in certain situations.

When i get pulled over i treat the officer with the utmost respect. If i got arrested for doing something illegal and my dad found out i backed talked an adult with authority, i'd get a choking. Sometimes i believe some of these kids can be insenstive, disrespectful bastards that an adult raised to be that way. I don't agree with brutality but, all that other stuff was fluff when the officer seemed to be doing his job. BUT again i still don't know what ticked the officer off either. I think the officer felt these kids had no respect

Respect is earned... not implied. We've seen too many videos like this to just give respect to anyone with a badge. I'm not saying to back talk no matter the situation, I'm saying that engaging in conversation about an infraction should not cause another infraction. The holier-than-thou attitude many cops have put out a bad image for police in general and the good cops out there.

This cop deserves to be fired permanently. I could give a shit how he makes a living after seeing that. What a tool.

Here's what they did in Tampa this year for "skateboarding day".

http://www.baynews9.com/content/36/2007/6/21/263087.html

"There's no skateboarding allowed in the downtown central business district on the streets, sidewalk or private property," Captain Marc Hamlin said. "That's a city ordinance."

Hamlin said the show of force was to prevent a repeat of what occurred last year. After being denied a permit to skateboard in the downtown area last June, skateboarders did so anyway, leading to 15 arrests and creating havoc in the city.

"We were surprised downtown," Hamlin said. "About 150 skateboarders who were skateboarding in the downtown area, running people off of sidewalks, darting in and out of traffic, blocking traffic, running red lights, almost causing accidents."

Sorry, but the little punks got what they deserved IMO.

NSX-Stalker

NSX-Stalker

So this incident was really just a "show of force" in response to what happened last year, in a different city and state.

Back in college, I was walking home to my apartment only to spot a homeless guy climbing into my second story bedroom window. My roommate was taking an afternoon nap, but heard what was happening. He came out of his room wearing only whitey tighties and a .357 in hand. The homeless guy was so scared/grossed out, he jumped off our second story balcony and got away. The cops that showed for the report half joked that he should have shot him and put a weapon in his hand.

I know this was years ago and I now live in another county, but the next time I see a bum I'm going to run up to him and kick him in the nuts. Just as a warning to all the others.

...It's due time that some new laws are passed to prevent cops from having so much power to abuse. I also feel that any situation between the police and citizens can and should be recorded by the citizen and that any officer who tries to take the camera or damage the camera is immediately guilty of a crime.

Exactly!! I have never figured out why cops are allowed to destroy or seize peoples cameras. If Mr. Officer is not doing anything wrong, then Mr. Officer should not have anything to worry about with the film. You only destroy EVIDENCE if it HURTS you or your case. If it helps, you keep it. :mad:

NSX-Stalker

They deserve to have their a$$ kicked by someone our tax dollars pay to KEEP the peace, and PROTECT us? Sorry...but your logic does not compute there. Just because you are irritating does not mean it is open season for an officer to kick your butt. If that logic worked, every major city in the country would be a free for all fight. If that was YOUR kid getting beaten by the police for a non-violent violation of a city ordinance your opinion would change pretty damn fast.

They deserve to have their a$$ kicked by someone our tax dollars pay to KEEP the peace, and PROTECT us?

Uh, they were protecting us. I have a right to walk my kid down the street and not have to worry about a bunch of punks who feel in large numbers they can do what they want, including plowing into my kid at 10-15 mph on a skateboard. You know that a 160 lb dork on a skateboard can kill my kid at that speed?

In addition, I should not have to cough up my tax dollars to pay for extra police presence on the street because once a year a bunch of selfish teens feel that in numbers they can do what they please.

If that was YOUR kid getting beaten by the police for a non-violent violation of a city ordinance your opinion would change pretty damn fast.

Hopefully my kid will be smart enough to realize that you don't join up with a crowd dead set on violating the law, no matter how insignificant you think that law may be.

I posted a link to what happened in Tampa last year. This year it didn't happen because the idiots were put in their place before their attempt at the exact same thing happened again.

We live in a society where people, including young people, are expected to abide by the law. Skateboarding day is used by many to go out and skate wherever they please and in the process disrupt whatever area they choose.

Were the cops heavy handed in how they handled the situation? The video shows no conclusive proof of that IMO and the first scene shows no clear evidence of "choking". Again, don't believe everything you see on YouTube. You've seen only a selective edit of the actual events.

NSX-Stalker

They deserve to have their a$$ kicked by someone our tax dollars pay to KEEP the peace, and PROTECT us? Sorry...but your logic does not compute there. Just because you are irritating does not mean it is open season for an officer to kick your butt. If that logic worked, every major city in the country would be a free for all fight. If that was YOUR kid getting beaten by the police for a non-violent violation of a city ordinance your opinion would change pretty damn fast.

If my kid was breaking the law, with the potential to hurt other's, i would say he got a lesson learned(ESPECIALLY WHEN I GOT ALL THE EVIDENCE).

Meeyatch i've seen school fights between girls that were far more worse than what that cop did.

My point is not about the police brutality, it's about some children not having respect for the laws, this was clear after nsx-stalker posted little more proof or info about the situation. Again i am not in support of police brutality, but i do feel like when a officer ask me to do so shut off my vehicle or something, i give him the feeling that i will comply without all the backtalk.

So this incident was really just a "show of force" in response to what happened last year, in a different city and state.

Actually it happens in cities all over the US every June 21st since "skateboarding day" began. It is an example of one city and how it is a much more serious problem than just a hand full of innocent little teens skating down the sidewalk not bothering a soul.

NSX-Stalker

My point is not about the police brutality, it's about some children not having respect for the laws, this was clear after nsx-stalker posted little more proof or info about the situation. Again i am not in support of police brutality, but i do feel like when a officer ask me to do so shut off my vehicle or something, i give him the feeling that i will comply without all the backtalk.

I agree... I'm not saying I don't think the kids deserved it, because they were being little punks. But, it could have been handled in a much more proffesional manner. Police brutality is a huge problem around the world, and this is just one more prime example. Instead of running around like a jack-ass trying to catch each and every kid, why not just call for more back up, andarrest them as you catch them! How far are they going to get on a skateboard in a few minutes?

Exactly!! I have never figured out why cops are allowed to destroy or seize peoples cameras.

They can't... It's called freedom of the press! And, no, you don't have to have press credentials to be a member of the press, AND freedom of press applies to ANYONE who is a citzen of the united states. But, cops don't care , and they will just deal with it later because it's easier to just stomp all over your First Amendment Rights, then deal with the repercussions later. Case law has proven this, time and time again... They CANNOT seize your camera, or destroy it, but you CANNOT inhibit their police duties by filming your own arrest...

Last edited:
I find it interesting and not surprising that so many videos are available and shown where cops "appear" to be doing something they should not be doing or doing things a bit severely. There is no black and white in this line of work sadly, and often when you are doing something within your duty as an officer, it may appear to others that you are taking things to the extreme.

In this original video, it is my opinion that this cop overreacted. If I see some kids skateboarding on the sidewalk and I tell them to stop, I'm not about to chase them down. In my mind, there are better things for me to be doing. HOWEVER, having said that, there are times when your superior will give you a direct order to place someone under arrest, or stop an unlawful action (despite how trivial it may seem to myself or others), and you have a job to do. You could tell your "boss" NO, but then you'll have to find another means of putting food on your table.

Now, I don't approve of the overt physical need for this officer to choke this kid. However, some officers are pretty damned goofy and I would personally not want them as my backup because A: They are weak, B: They tend to go overboard, and C: They are just an embarressment :rolleyes:

It's ironic I came across this thread because a few days ago (and I was NOT in a good mood to begin with), while on my way to a minor call, some stupid kids were skateboarding IN THE ROAD. Let me clarify this, there were about 9 or 10 kids ranging between the ages of 9 to 17 skateboarding the entire length of the road in and out of traffic. Cars were swerving off the road onto the grass and into oncoming traffic to avoid these kids.

One would think that as they see a police vehicle approaching they would make an effort to move off to the side of the road. If they had done that, I would have kept going, I mean I was a kid once on a skateboard. I would have been happier if they got on the sidewalk, but I know the sidewalk is no fun for a skateboard.

They made ZERO effort to move out of the way for anyone INCLUDING me. Oooh no. I'm not having this kind of behavior go by without saying something.

I turned my patrol car down a side street, went back up the block for the other direction towards these punks again. I blocked the entire roadway with my patrol vehicle and put on my lights. Other cars can easily reroute themselves down the same road I took to go around me. Assuming they had enough common sense. I am in Miami, where common sense with drivers are a scarce recourse.

I told the kids to do one of two things, Pile into the back of my patrol car so I can have a SUV police vehilce tow them all to jail (though that was just an empty threat), or take a seat on the grass for a moment. They clearly weren't THAT stupid, so they took the latter option.

I asked any of them who had a cell phone to pull it out, so I can speak with their parents. Only one of them had a cell phone. I told him to call his parents. Of course, they werent available. I asked all of them to give me their home phone numbers, and as I had my dispatcher call the first couple of numbers, one of the kids started laughing. I asked him what was so funny. He replied, "gee sir, we're just skateboarding". I said that I could clearly see that, however I cited that the behavior of skateboarding in a manner that blocks the entire road and in front of traffic, while an officer was driving down the road illustrated one of two things, supreme stupidity, or a complete lack of respect. I asked them to tell me which one applies with them.

For some reason, though I assumed my calling the parents would work, these kids realized that they should have just moved over when the patrol car came by. They realized this and said they would happily walk home if I would let them. I asked some questions about their boards and who got the highest score on Tony Hawk. They laughed and as they we leaving. I told them to skateboard but don't get run over doing something stupid causing me work. I was just joking of course, no flames from overprotective parents please.

Now, if one of these kids had cursed me off and went running, I'm not gonna chase them like I said. However, I know if a few officers that are overtly Gung HO and are well........just plain goofy. They are too severe sometimes with people, and I can't for the life of me understand why THEY don't get complaints, but sometimes I do from people who clearly are deep in the wrong. Yes in those cases the complaints are investigated and dropped (we have cameras and recorders in our agency) when it's evident I wasn't rude or abusive.

There are times of course when I have to use physical force, and I have to do this in front of citizens. I am FULLY aware that the mindset of citizens, like a couple of the posters above who say F*** The Police (very mature btw) who witness me trying to take down a guy twice my size would rather see me get beaten up before I am able to subdue a guy.

It's kind of the same logic when I go into a restaurant or food service establishment in uniform and someone says some sly remark about how the day is slow in an almost vindictive manner. It is as though I have to be dodging bullets every hour, saving lives, or beating off five criminals all by myself to earn enough respect to have my food order taken without some sarcastic remark.

So, when taking down a suspect, I have to actually weight my own safety (does this guy have a gun, am I strong enough to take him down, is it possible this guy has a transmittable disease, does he seem like he will go for my gun) with my knowledge of the public view of (is that pig beating up that poor guy, why did they even bother him in the first place, it's not fair the cop has a gun, I hope that pig gets his but beat, F*** the police, let's pull out the camera and get this on tape, maybe the pig will get his butt wooped or he will be too aggressive on the guy and we can show everyone what A**holes cops are).

So, I am almost about to risk letting this guy get a slight edge over me so as not to add to the negative stereotype of the public.

Again, I don't condone what the officer above did, I'm not even sure why he felt it was necessary for him to go after these kids. From guessing how goofy and overzealous he appeared, he is not unlike a few officers I work with. I have no doubt though, that this officer will be punished in some manner. If he isn't then the department will be punished.

as for the last video shown. I don't know what the old woman was reaching for, but if it was a gun or some other weapon I would want to knock her back also. A gun is a dangerous weapon, regardless of the age of the hand it's in. I wouldn't have kicked the lady back though.

There are two sides to many stories, consider that when you post all these cop abuse vids in some sort of ridiculous crusade to prove that cops are all bad.:rolleyes:

Oh No, Look at this Horrible Cops actions....quick everyone, look at another horrible cop!! F*** Da PoWLeese Yall!!:rolleyes:

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kPDOtEtu6Mw"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kPDOtEtu6Mw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

NSX-Stalker

Being arrested for "no reason" is a pretty subjective phrase, and is entirely based upon point of view. There are protestors who feel they were arrested at the G8 conference for "no reason". But in reality their activities were detrimental to public welfare, and they were inflicting harm upon society with their actions.

The protestors often treat the arrests as a form of martyrdom, as is the case here with the post on YouTube about the evils of police.

For frame of reference-

This same kind of thing occurs on "Critical Mass" (bike) rides in cities around the world.
I cycle regularly to get around the city when the weather is nice, and I used to think the once a month mass bike ride would be fun to participate in. When I arrived at the designated meeting place I found out that the true intention of the rides was to disrupt traffic, and assert "control" of the roadway (since riders get hit all the time, and cars often drive away). In effect, the ride is a protest, and sometimes people get arrested for "no reason".

I opted out of the ride. I didn't feel I wanted to be part of the method to prove their point.

So.... People get arrested for protesting all the time, and "Skateboarding Day" seems like an idea to protest enmasse restrictions on that activity in public centers. Looks like they got arrested for their cause.

Welcome to martyrdom kids.

If the consequences are so horrible, then these kids should probably pick their battles more carefully.

Philip

Back