• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

"Unofficial" RARE NSX Thread

I own a 2000 Monaco Blue/Black
Purchased new May 2001
Number 264
Mileage: 12,256
Still looks, runs and smells new :biggrin:
Refused a credible $65K offer about 2 months ago

NSX_50_Cropped.jpg

WOW!65,000 and you refused the offer. Looks like I will never be able to afford your car ever lol. Did you refuse the offer cause you want more money for the car or you just straight dont want to sell it at this point and time? I remember it was up for sale at one point. I cant remember what you wanted for it but I do remember I couldnt afford it thats for sure.

WOW!65,000 and you refused the offer. Looks like I will never be able to afford your car ever lol. Did you refuse the offer cause you want more money for the car or you just straight dont want to sell it at this point and time? I remember it was up for sale at one point. I cant remember what you wanted for it but I do remember I couldnt afford it thats for sure.

It was a combination of not wanting to see it leave and knowing that its value would climb. This is a work of art--way ahead of its time. I know lots of cars are more powerful, but I have never been in one that is so perfectly balanced.

As I said in another thread, I hope to ship it to Maui where it will retire in paradise. Thanks

Hey Guys,

I have been following this thread and every time I read it, I ponder... does the color of the car "really" make it a collectable or rare piece?! I mean a 2000 NSX is still an 2000 NSX, 20 years from now, would a blue NSX be that more valuable than say a white or silver one? I can understand a Zanardi, the 97-01 coupe, low miles 91 NSX, or low miles 2005. But does the mere color of the car make it the most rare, hence more of a collectable?! Has there ever been a car, that has its value significantly increase or decrease b/c it was a certain color. For example, could a color of a 65 shelby cobra significantly increase or decrease its value?!

I was quite shock when the owner of the 2000 blue nsx turned down the offer of $65K for his car. I would have taken the offer and upgrade to a Zanardi... But that is just me....

Please shed some lights on this for me...

Thanks..

Hey Guys,

I have been following this thread and every time I read it, I ponder... does the color of the car "really" make it a collectable or rare piece?! I mean a 2000 NSX is still an 2000 NSX, 20 years from now, would a blue NSX be that more valuable than say a white or silver one? I can understand a Zanardi, the 97-01 coupe, low miles 91 NSX, or low miles 2005. But does the mere color of the car make it the most rare, hence more of a collectable?! Has there ever been a car, that has its value significantly increase or decrease b/c it was a certain color. For example, could a color of a 65 shelby cobra significantly increase or decrease its value?!

I was quite shock when the owner of the 2000 blue nsx turned down the offer of $65K for his car. I would have taken the offer and upgrade to a Zanardi... But that is just me....

Thanks..

It helps out only a little bit I feel. You might get an extra thousand more dollars with NSXs. Other cars Im not to sure about. What really brings in the big bucks is special edition cars like the Zanardi. I didnt buy my one off color car because its a little more collectible. I mostly bought it cause out of all the silver NSXs sebring is my favorite and plus I wanted a targa top very badly. Sooo this was my only choice lol. I wanted a blue one but everytime I found one the person would want over $50,000 for it. So what I figure about this whole color thing if you want a certain color bad enough and there wasnt to many produced the seller probably knows this information and can charge much more money. I always liked this quote " Its worth whatever somebody wants to pay for it". If I had the money at the time I probably would have bought one of those $50,000 + blue cars cause I just wanted it that badly.

Last edited:
Hey Guys,

Thanks..

Well to answer...yes. Color does play a crucial role here because some colors weren't produced every year or in the large numbers that you'd find with Berlina Black or Formula Red. For a NSX its the color, quantities made, body style, and low quantities.

That is why I created the following categories:
1. Rarity by Exterior Color
2. Rarity by Body Style (Coupes, Zanardi's etc.)
3. Rarity of Exterior and Interior Combination
4. Rarity by Quantity Produced

I see your point regarding whether or not a black is more collectible than white for the same year but the colors with low numbers will play a role in collectivity as they will be harder to find. As years move on Black or Red NSX's will still be in abundance however, Imola's, LBBP's, Monaco Blue's, will become harder to find.

...I was quite shock when the owner of the 2000 blue nsx turned down the offer of $65K for his car. I would have taken the offer and upgrade to a Zanardi... But that is just me....

Thanks..

It is all subjective. I had a guy willing to spend $65K for reasons he could only explain, and I was unwilling to let it go. If I had any need for the cash, it would probably be different. IMHO I think these cars will continually increase in value as the Japanese car crazies grow older and have more disposable cash, like baby boomers now are paying big for 60's muscle cars. The desire, the rareness and the condition will determine the final value. I also think as time goes on, the stock cars will demand more.

Is this list of NSX colors only available to the US? There are other colors you haven't listed that are rarer than Imola orange and Rio Yellow Pearl.

Thanks..

Ella you were very fortunate to be able to pick up a Zanardi so your post is a little misleading. You make it sound as though Zanardi's are sold often to which they simply are not.

I waited 2-3 months just to hear whether one was either coming up for sale or not...it didn't so buyers who want one will need to be willing to wait a long time. I can't even remember when the last time any Zanardi was for sale on Prime!

Tabasco denying an offer of $65k seems reasonable to me...

Ella you were very fortunate to be able to pick up a Zanardi so your post is a little misleading. You make it sound as though Zanardi's are sold often to which they simply are not.

I waited 2-3 months just to hear whether one was either coming up for sale or not...it didn't so buyers who want one will need to be willing to wait a long time. I can't even remember when the last time any Zanardi was for sale on Prime!

Tabasco denying an offer of $65k seems reasonable to me...

Hey Jetpilot,

My apologies. I don't mean to mislead you or anyone for that matter on Prime. I was just wanting to hear/understand more on the thoughts about the value of a car significantly being higher b/c of its color.

As Tabasco said, it's really personal reasons, so it doesnt have to make sense to anyone but to the buyer/owner him/herself!

I am sure Tabasco is as happy about his NSX as I am with my Zanardi.

Warm regards,
Dat

What about 95-96 Midnight Pearls?

Hey Jetpilot,

My apologies. I don't mean to mislead you or anyone for that matter on Prime. I was just wanting to hear/understand more on the thoughts about the value of a car significantly being higher b/c of its color.

As Tabasco said, it's really personal reasons, so it doesnt have to make sense to anyone but to the buyer/owner him/herself!

I am sure Tabasco is as happy about his NSX as I am with my Zanardi.

Warm regards,
Dat

Ella no worries buddy! You are very very lucky to have nabbed one. I believe you and The Kid are the only two in the past 3-4 years that have recently nabbed a Zanardi (the ones not checkered in accident history). Like I said I came close but...no cigar.

Color does matter for most. For example, I didn't get a Zanardi because it only came in red. I'm considering another car now (non-NSX) but am limiting to silver or white and not settling for anything else.

Rarity really is also a matter of supply and demand... There may be 100 cars of a certain color/style combination but if 1 million people are trying to get that combo, it's going to be rare to find/buy.

That said, my 2000 Silverstone/Onyx coupe is still in my garage with about 26k miles. It has a full Zanardi/Type-S suspension and wheels, Zanardi floor mats, Zanardi/Type-S shift knob, OEM Zanardi side intake mesh grill, OEM NSX-S engine cover, OEM NSX-S reservoir rubber sleeve. Have some aftermarket 2002+ front and side valences, rear wing and HID lamps that I haven't gotten to installing.

Going through the list I didn't see my car listed. I's a 2001 red/black 6 speed coupe. I was told when I bought it that there were only 2 coupes sold in 2001, a white automatic and this one with the six speed. I've had the car for three years and added a Comptech super charger to the car. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Going through the list I didn't see my car listed. I's a 2001 red/black 6 speed coupe. I was told when I bought it that there were only 2 coupes sold in 2001, a white automatic and this one with the six speed. I've had the car for three years and added a Comptech super charger to the car. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

interesting....can you PM me the VIN?

lots of the mega rares are autos for obvious reasons. Im the original owner of the auto LBBP/tan 03. Will be interesting to see how these hold up over time value wise.

Personally, I think the auto will override rarity/rare color. I think my current Monte Carlo Blue/black 1999, while more common, will hold value better even given that the 03 was a facelift car. Time will tell of course and once cars enter into this phase of their life, it becomes more about timing anyway. The buyer for a car like this is a very different buyer now, then 5 years ago and will be a very different type of buyer again in 5-10 years.

The cars have moved out of "current" and are moving into "classic/collectible" much like with older 911s and Ferraris.

For *pure* collectors, I think the *big* test will be how stock the car is (a test my current car most certainly fails :D)

So purely for resale value, my ctsc blue with a few k more miles is worth more than a black, silver or red of the same year. Intresting to know. What about repaints for normal wear and tear. I know a lot of ppls dont want a repainted nsx but isnt a clean repainted one better than rock chips everywhere? I cant speak for imola but lbbp is impossible to color match with touch up paint. Its also cool to see your list. A few blues are crashed which further lowers the numbers, thought white would have been my idel color.

The 2001 white hardtop coupe is a 6 speed manual, not an automatic.
Steve

Back