• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Unusual exhaust noise

I have had a Taitec GT parallel exhaust on my car for about 5 months now and it continues to make an unusual noise. Almost makes my NSX sound like a antique ford car :( Has anyone heard this sound before? What can it be? I’ve checked all the welds on the exhaust and they are good. The sound seems to be coming from out the exhaust tips. Please listen to the exhaust clip and let me know what you guys think.

exhaust sound clip

gt002.jpg

Sounds like it's just a vibration. I would first check the exhaust hangers and make sure they are in good shape. A trick I've found for chasing down vibrations is to take a pry bar, climb under the car with it supported and gently put pressure on the area you think is vibrating. As you apply pressure the vibration should stop... then go from there accordingly.

good luck

Hey 1TITENSX

I had Taitec JGTC parallel couple weeks ago, when I put mine on, the exhaust itself was touching the heat sink, could that be the reason for you too? It didn't make any weird noise on mine (maybe the exhaust is too loud to hear the noise)

HTH

are you talking about this "ring" noise? If so have you tired shifting the exhaust when it is at idle to see if the noise goes away or the note changes? Sounds like it is rubbing against something...

Update 1

Ok, I went out there and pushed and pulled but the vibration didn't go away. All hangars are good and the exhaust is not touching the heat shield. However, I did notice that the sound is coming out the right exhaust. I took a rubber mallet and stuck it partially in the opening of the exhaust tip and it made the majority of the sound go away. So far, I might be looking at an exhaust silencer :(

ohhhhh u have the silencer in! Mine does that too when i put the silencer on once, rattled like a bitch. Try swapping sides w/ the silencer it might just solve ur problem.

THonda said:
ohhhhh u have the silencer in! Mine does that too when i put the silencer on once, rattled like a bitch. Try swapping sides w/ the silencer it might just solve ur problem.

Oops, I meant I might be looking at getting an exhaust silencer to get rid of my problem.

Check the weld points where the pipes are attached. It's tough to see, but if you look close enough you might find a hairline crack (push the pipes apart and see if they separate). I had this problem on my JGTC and it sounded just like your clip. If you find a crack, just get it re-welded.

Do you have any kind of warranty on the exhaust from either the vendor or company?
I'd hate to spend over 1k for an exhaust only to have to "modify" it to sound normal, that's just not right!

I heard one this past weekend and it sounds nothing like yours. It almost sounds like you have a problem inside the muffler JMO.

Thanks for all the help thus far. I'll look around one more time for any cracks or worn areas. I had a RSR exhaust on my NSX before and it never made this sound. It wasn't until I replaced this exhaust with the Taitec one did this peculiar sound develop.

I think I am going to take it to an exhaust shop and let them look at it :(

Update 2

I went out and looked at all of the welds and I couldn't find one hair line crack. From the beginning of engine start up the noise doesn't exist. I also noticed that both of the inlet sides of the exhaust were it meets my Comptech straight pipes, wasn't flush with each other. And yours truly put the exhaust on the car :p Once the car seemed to get close to idle, I saw fluid start to drip out were flanges were between the inlet side of the exhaust and outlet side of the Comptech straight pipes. It wasn't until I saw this did the noise come about. Seems like I need to make the flanges fit more flush. I don't think it is the flanges banging against other but something to do with them not flush together. Am I right :confused:

Update 3

I went and bought new o-rings for the inlet side of the exhaust and have put everything back together. The flanges are flush but I am still getting fluid leak by on both inlet sides of the exhaust and I can't figure out why :confused: I didn't have this problem when I had my RSR exhaust on there. But now I have it with the Taitec exhaust. It's like the o-rings aren't doing there job :( I feel confident that this is contributing to the noise because once I start to see it, the noise appears. I attached pics of both sides of the inlet side of the exhaust. Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations? Are there any other flange gaskets out there that I can use?

4319Exhaust_flange_004-med.jpg

4319Exhaust_flange_003-med.jpg

Some people use copper spray on the gasket then seal it on. May help..

-x-

There is a high temp gasket maker that you can use. If I'm not mistaken it's orange in color, and is made by Loctite. If you need accurate info let me know and I'll get it. I'm assuming this will "seal" your leak just as it would with any other exhaust leak. JMO

Final Update

I went a bought two gaskets from a local automotive parts store. Gaskets are made by Mr Gasket Co. and are part # 5980. Gaskets installed and noise has gone away :cool: However, through the somewhat easy install, I managed to let the exhaust fall on my head :mad: I hope these bumps go down before I go to work on Mon :(

Back