• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Updated my rear end!

I just swapped my original center lens for a new 2002 lens. Wasn't sure whether I'd like it but after seeing it on the car I'm happy with the new look. What do you guys think?

BTW got a great deal on the lens from Eric Milam at Niello.

2002tail2.jpg

2002tail1.jpg

------------------
Russ
'91 black/black

[This message has been edited by Russ (edited 16 March 2002).]

In addition to the rear lens update, please update the link to the picture.

Would like to see what you have done.

And you are correct, Eric is a great guy!!

97-T #009 @23K

Can you change the turn signal lens as well to the round ones of the 02? just wondering...

------------------
93RX7TT-(4sale for NSX!)
95 Legend LS Coupe
89 Mazda MPV-Daily Beater

What should expect to pay fo the new lense? thanks

Anywhere from roughly $125-$175, depending on how much of a discount the dealer is offering.

Can you change the turn signal lens as well to the round ones of the 02? just wondering...

The center lens bolted right in, I don't know what's involved in swapping the sides. I suspect it's not that big a deal.

------------------
Russ
'91 black/black

You could also do what I did and clear out the center lense and simply attach an emblem to the exterior portion of the lense. Cost me a total of $30. Have the parts guy bring out a couple of different size emblems. They are self-adhesive so all you have to do is stick it on. It was really funny to see them change the rear lense to the "A" symbol for 2002 since I had already done it a year ago.
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Chris W (edited 18 February 2002).]

Poloman,
The best way is to use a heat gun to help separate the lense piece from the assembly. A heat gun works a lot better than boiling water (as others have used) and will soften the glue with ease. Only heat up about 6-7 inches at a time and pry the lense apart slowly. I also used a razor blade to cut away the glue as I pried the lense away.(the glue stretches like gum and you need to cut it away as you pry so it doesn't harden back together). The "ACURA" logo is just a vinyl sticker inside and just peals off with your fingernail. I also removed all the excess glue on both the lense and in the groove that the lense fits into to ensure that it would snap back together correctly. I then used silicone sealant to re-bond the two pieces together.

One further note; when re-installing the tail lenses I only hand tightened the nuts inside the trunk with a deep 8mm socket. I put a little crack in one lense by trying to snug the nut with a ratchet.

Hope this helps.

I swapped mine out a few weeks ago, as well. I don't like chrome, but there still isn't anything better for the emblem/logo/badge/mameplate. I'll never understand why Honda doesn't put the word NSX on the back. The Acura decal behind the lens just looks too cheap on a $90K car. Seems like the back of the car gets looked at the most on the road in traffic, so it might as well look good.

I tried to order the metalic radio and climate knobs from the '02, but they only come with the units.

I am trying to decide if I am completing missing something here, seeing an optical illusion, or what ...

It looks to me like the center piece (with emblem) is not as wide on the new piece... is it just my mind playing tricks on me?

That's because the photos are taken at different distances from the piece.

Nice work, it looks very good.

I have a DIY on my site to do the center emblem, but inside the lens. It could easily be adapted to do this, although, the idea of using the heat gun may be a better approach (no water to dry after):
http://www.scienceofspeed.com/sos_resource/

-- C

Originally posted by Jonathan:
I am trying to decide if I am completing missing something here, seeing an optical illusion, or what ...

It looks to me like the center piece (with emblem) is not as wide on the new piece... is it just my mind playing tricks on me?

------------------
SoS_logo.gif

http://www.NSXClassifieds.com - free NSX classifieds site!

P.S.-

A few weeks ago, I was following an NSX from some distance. What stuck me was the way the black rear diffuser disapeared, and the car looked thin with a black void in the middle. I took my car to get the thing spritzed body color. No biggie, no removal required, just a matter of doing 5 minutes of taping and a quick spray. Car looks beefier in back, lower, and more finished and modern. Nowadays it's all about flash and there isn't any sense in being conservative with a supercar.

No, I'm talking about the funny shaped black body part in between the exhaust pipes. It is invisible from a few yards away, which is why, I assume, there is a small body colored lip on the bottom edge of the '02 NSX.

Originally posted by Ag NSX:
What did you use to glue the emblem to the lense?

The 2002 center lens comes with the emblem affixed. I decided against hacking up my original lens just in case I ever wanted to go back to stock.

------------------
Russ
'91 black/black

Back