• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

US Dollar - Japan Yen

As all of you are probably aware, the US Dollar is at historic low value against the Yen.

My question to frequent Japan travelers is that I have heard that credit cards are not accepted in as many places as in the US. I have heard that we should be ready to pay for many services with cash.

Where do you get the best currency exchange rate? Narita Airport? Kenedy Airport in US? My CitiBank location?

I never had an issue with using my citi bank Master Card in Japan.
The key: Most cards in Japan have a picture on it. My Citiband card does. As well Chip cards are widely accepted due to no signature required. (the same throughout Europe) Without one or both of these I have heard you may have issue, but myself or my wife never have.
Exchange rate will not be in your favor, but cards are easier to use.
Bank cards can be used at instant tellers. Again, not a great exchange rate plus fees.
Get your Yen in the US before you leave for the best exchange rate.

Just FYI, if you have citibank, in Japan, you can only get cash from Citibank locations. YOu can no longer get cash from ATM at 7-11(like in US). I also had problem withdrawing money at ATM at other Japanese banks using my citibank atm card. I suggest getting at least some cash at the airport as it has citibank ATM. Also, you should look into the currency exchange fee that is incorporated in your ATM or Credit card. Some banks like Capital One offers 0% fee. Most charges 3%.

I was robbed at the airport in houston. TravelX: $1400-¥104,000. i ought to have shot my self. ATM at a post office near my place: I withdrew ¥8000 and about $99 was pulled from my acct. Thats my experience so far.(−_−#)

Pick up a SUICA card and a N'EX card combined deal at the airport using your credit card. The combined deal is only available to foreign passport holders and can save you some money. The Nex will give you a one-way or round trip on Narita Express and is valid for 2 weeks, which is all we need. The SUICA smart card can be used on JR East and many subway lines and buses. Many 7/11's and small station shops as well as vending machines accept SUICA.

The vending machines are "awesome". You can purchase a hot Latte in a can by just holding the card up to the machine. Locals just hold up their cell phones. How cool is that! :eek:
Just look for the SUICA signs around the city. The letters IC in SUICA means integrated circuit.

When will we use the Narita express?
And how much do we need to charge on the SUICA at first?

The vending machines are "awesome".

You can buy anything from a vending machine in Japan... even underwear (well, maybe not underwear). :biggrin:

When will we use the Narita express?
And how much do we need to charge on the SUICA at first?

You can take the Narita Express from the airport into Tokyo and back when you leave for home. Round trip is the best savings as shown in this link. You may also take limo bus directly to your hotel as Hirofumi has stated.

SUICA card comes pre-loaded with 1500 yen and you can easily add as much as you may need from machines as you travel about.

http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/suica-nex/

Thanks for clearing that up.

I was planning to take the limo bus. I'm guessing it's just like Seoul and the limo buses are very convenient over there from the airport.

You can take the Narita Express from the airport into Tokyo and back when you leave for home. Round trip is the best savings as shown in this link. You may also take limo bus directly to your hotel as Hirofumi has stated.

SUICA card comes pre-loaded with 1500 yen and you can easily add as much as you may need from machines as you travel about.

http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/suica-nex/
I would love to hear more details about this. How much would it cost for the round trip between the hotel and Narita? Any detailed instructions on how to buy and how to use it (electronic fare card read by a turnstile?) would also be appreciated.

Pick up a SUICA card and a N'EX card combined deal at the airport using your credit card. The combined deal is only available to foreign passport holders and can save you some money. The Nex will give you a one-way or round trip on Narita Express and is valid for 2 weeks, which is all we need. The SUICA smart card can be used on JR East and many subway lines and buses. Many 7/11's and small station shops as well as vending machines accept SUICA.

The vending machines are "awesome". You can purchase a hot Latte in a can by just holding the card up to the machine. Locals just hold up their cell phones. How cool is that! :eek:
Just look for the SUICA signs around the city. The letters IC in SUICA means integrated circuit.

I recommend to buy SUICA or N'EX card, too.
When you get off at Shinagawa station, foward to Takanawa exit and downstair.
Hotel Shuttle bus is avairable from near taxi station.
This bus goes Grand Prince Hotel Takanawa via Shinagawa Prince Hotel.
You can find timetable on wall.

Hirofumi

I would love to hear more details about this. How much would it cost for the round trip between the hotel and Narita? Any detailed instructions on how to buy and how to use it (electronic fare card read by a turnstile?) would also be appreciated.

All the details are on the link that I've included in the post. Essentially, you are spending 5,500y for both cards which w/o this deal would cost 7,880y if purchased separate. It's like getting the SUICA card for free and then some.

As for using, it has a chip, so unlike NYC Metro card with magnetic strip, just hold it near the machine and it will allow entrance. Just watch the person in front of you. First time ever should not be "rush hour". :eek:

After a few days, you will be buying everything from machines!! :biggrin:

Back