• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

US factory refresh plan for Gen 1?

In october 2020 some news have reported that Acura thinks of a factory refresh program in the US similar to the one in Japan. True?
They've stated some prices for overhauls and these are pretty hefty but feel free too google yourself...:)

In october 2020 some news have reported that Acura thinks of a factory refresh program in the US similar to the one in Japan. True?
They've stated some prices for overhauls and these are pretty hefty but feel free too google yourself...:)

Acura actually announced it at one of the virtual sessions of NSXPO this year as well. A survey was sent out to all Gen 1 owners (that Acura dealerships have emails for) that asked about different pricing options for different parts and refresh services, and yes they were fairly hefty in nature. They also asked for feedback in which a lot of owners asked them to start making some of the parts known to failure or breakage again. So fingers crossed for now to see what happens if anything.

I like to idea of having a refresh plan for the old NSX. But it's more geared towards the garage queen owners with a big wallet (as if NSX parts aren't expensive enough). I would not expect a lot of demand, even in the US, the land of DIY.
We won't have sth similar in Europe, even tough a lot of cars would badly need it. But the labor costs doubled within 15-20 years and it's not because of the NSX stuff but much more about all the other stuff they've stored for the newer cars.
Not sure if I saw the item on the list: complete refresh of the electronics. Are they going to repair the components or just throw new parts at the car?

I like to idea of having a refresh plan for the old NSX. But it's more geared towards the garage queen owners with a big wallet (as if NSX parts aren't expensive enough). I would not expect a lot of demand, even in the US, the land of DIY.
We won't have sth similar in Europe, even tough a lot of cars would badly need it. But the labor costs doubled within 15-20 years and it's not because of the NSX stuff but much more about all the other stuff they've stored for the newer cars.
Not sure if I saw the item on the list: complete refresh of the electronics. Are they going to repair the components or just throw new parts at the car?

Agree. If you add all of the options in the Japan-based plan, you're at something like $125,000. That kind of service is for either collectors who want the car perfect, or wealthy owners who drive it all the time and want it like new again. However, even at the Japan center, you have a "menu" of options that can put the price to a much more reasonable level. The benefit of the refresh plan is that you have expert techs replacing factory original parts using equipment from the assembly line- it's far better than any dealer could do and you're going to get a factory-level of quality. More owners will pay for this, I think. I really hope they do this, because it means re-starting part production for commonly replaced components, potentially from US-based suppliers too.

Brakes for example: they install new calipers while there's a refresh kit available in Japan. Ok, they might only refresh them too but it's too pricey what they ask for it then. $4500-5400.
Over 8k for the complete A/C system.

Maybe that's how the automotive industry works today and I am the one who must change his mind. :)

Agree. If you add all of the options in the Japan-based plan, you're at something like $125,000. That kind of service is for either collectors who want the car perfect, or wealthy owners who drive it all the time and want it like new again. However, even at the Japan center, you have a "menu" of options that can put the price to a much more reasonable level. The benefit of the refresh plan is that you have expert techs replacing factory original parts using equipment from the assembly line- it's far better than any dealer could do and you're going to get a factory-level of quality. More owners will pay for this, I think. I really hope they do this, because it means re-starting part production for commonly replaced components, potentially from US-based suppliers too.

I agree and believe if they proceed I would not be surprised if they follow the model they have in place at the refresh center in Japan.

As you pointed out, they offer the customer a menu to choose what they want refreshed. From what I saw you could do as little or as much as you wanted. It was not cheap. I like it.

Last edited:
I agree and believe if they proceed I would not be surprised if they follow the model they have in place at the refresh center in Japan.

As you pointed out, they offer the customer a menu to choose what they want refreshed. From what I saw you could do as little or as much as you wanted. It was not cheap. I like it.

I could see a lot of US customers doing the body seals, suspension, door internals, and interior trim. The engine overhaul and body respray is more for the collectors, I think. A quality detailer can do wonders with paint correction, assuming there is enough clear coat left on the car.

Honda is trying to monetize the capital investment of the PMC. I think a Refresh Program would add some good margin to that site's operation. Also, the media and public finally seem to be catching on to the fact that the NC1 is really, really good. I hope that translates to more volume for 2021.

Last edited:
In Japan, it might make sense for a Type S (Zero), R, But for a standard NSX? I doubt it. In the US, there are only 50 special NSX (Zanardi).

A 21 stage paint process for $35k? I doubt it. If the whole car is painted there won't be much hassle anyway. Repainting a fender is a challenge even at the factory. The Gen 2 Orange is very nice but a nightmare for a paint shop.

Maybe the prices are so steep because owners from Japan would ship it to the US if they were half of the listed ones. :wink:

I'd like to see them offering that program but at lower costs.

When attended NSXFiesta in Japan, we spent some time at the refresh center.
They used Rm, waterbourne base and RM Urethane clear.
I recall one of the techs goofing with May Lee, producing a color sample to match her purple dress.
The NSX's there were being painted by people not machines.
I discussed this with Shigeru Uehara and he told me that all the NSX's produced, their final paint was painted by people not machines.
What I saw of the methods used and in place at the refresh center can and are done in the field as well.

When we painted a NSX we used a 93 step process. The booth was a 15 steps from the mixing room.:biggrin:

Back