V1 rear mount

Has anyone mounted/hardwired their V1 using the Dali Racing mount + Apexcone rear brake light cover?:

http://daliracing.com/v666-5/catalog/index_browse_part.cfm?focus=637

http://www.apexcone.com/prod_invisimirror.html

1. Does it work for a 97 T? It looks like the storage area for the top would block the detector.
2. If it does work, how effective has it been?
3. I'd like to mount it somewhere permanently and since I leave the top off some times, somewhere hidden is ideal. Any other suggestions?
4. Where have you located the concealed display AND the remote audio adapter. Think the remote audio adapter can go in the ash tray, but not sure where to put the concealed display.

Thanks everyone.

Jim Invented both of those. I think he took into account the NSX-T. But then again, he is a BMW guy, so you never know.

FYI - I ordered the mirror about 5 weeks ago and have yet to receive it. Emails have gone unanswered.

Ryan

I put the rear mount on my 2004 and hard wired my V1 into the car. I also have the faux "third brake light". It works fantastic!! I've tested the sensitivity compared to my visor mount V1 on my LX470. No degradation noticeable. I bought the remote module and mounted it on the steering column. That way, no one can follow you and use your radar detector by seeing it through the back glass like with the mirror and visor mount. It looks good too. Good luck.

I did the InV1si/Dali mount/Apexcone "third brake light" cover setup. It took a bit of cobbling to get it right:

1) The Dali bracket is really designed for use without a cover, because the hole for the wire is on the outside of the box (see pic 1). So I reworked the bracket and cut a hole at the right rear of the bracket, so the wire now passes along the side of the detector, through the hole, and immediately down into the rear firewall (pic 2).

BTW the Dali bracket was one of the last things I ever bought from Dali. Learn why.

2) To get the RJ-11 connector to fit under the cover, I had to dremel it down (pic 3).

3) The V1 would not fit properly under the cover, so I cut a recess inside the cover to clear the V1 control knob (pic 4).

4) The cover is taller and bulkier than it needs to be, so I chopped it about 1/2". I have a newer low profile V1, so the extra height may be needed for an older V1.

5) I put the remote audio adapter in the console, along with my garage door opener (pic 5).

6) For a clean look, I covered up the original wire hole with a cap I found at Lowe's (pic 6, next post).

Fantastic photos. Great job. It's interesting to me that my third brake light cover looks WAY different than yours. The rear of mine is angled more steeply and matches the angle of the back glass. It looks no better or worse than yours, it's just different. Nice job on the remote audio controller. Do you have the remote display?? Where did you place it, or are you using the rear view mirror display?? Very nice work!!!! :smile:

Thanks. I have the InV1si mirror remote display. The car is so low the display isn't really visible from behind anyway. I like the mute/function button on the bottom edge. Remember to cover the main unit's display with electrical tape or it'll be visible through the faux brake light lens.

The rear of mine is angled more steeply and matches the angle of the back glass.
Although it's not very noticable in the pics, mine matches the angle of the rear glass too. Also - I covered the rear edge with a thin strip of black velcro to eliminate rattles.

RPM217 has the slickest remote V1 setup I've seen. He's got an InV1si-style mirror but the really neat thing is the V1 main unit is totally hidden. Nobody but the installer knows where it is, and he ain't talkin'.

I know that Jim makes them in his garage, and its not a simple process. He has to dissasemble the mirror, then he uses acid to etch the glass, then he has to seal it, and then he has to assemble the V1 display. All of this is pretty time consuming, so he may be waiting to do them in batches.

I am sure he will get to them as soon as he can. As far as the Dali Racing mount, he sold that invention to them and has nothing to do with it any longer.

He is busy inventing HID angle eyes for BMWs...

Mpire said:
I am sure he will get to them as soon as he can. As far as the Dali Racing mount, he sold that invention to them and has nothing to do with it any longer.

too funny - Larry Long made the first one of these 10 years ago because he needed one and no one else made anything like it. He only made 10 as I remember - probably because he didn't like dealing with the public. When I needed one and he wasn't feeling like making them, I redesigned it to be used without a plastic box cover since I didn't have access to them and made 100. The Invisimirror guys had nothing to do with "inventing" the mount for the NSX T-top in any way.

Regarding the V1 bracket: like many of Dali's offerings, the V1 bracket was never patented. Moreover, because it's been offered for sale for over a year, it never will be granted patent protection. As a matter of law, the V1 bracket - as well as many other Dali offerings - are in the public domain, and anyone can make and sell them. Now that's too funny!

By the way, Mark, nice of you to pipe up. Why don't you pipe up and explain why <a href=http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26211>you won't refund the $400 core charge you still owe me from two years ago</a>? While you're at it, please explain why you've ripped off so many other members of our community as well.

NSXGOD said:
too funny - Larry Long made the first one of these 10 years ago because he needed one and no one else made anything like it. He only made 10 as I remember - probably because he didn't like dealing with the public. When I needed one and he wasn't feeling like making them, I redesigned it to be used without a plastic box cover since I didn't have access to them and made 100. The Invisimirror guys had nothing to do with "inventing" the mount for the NSX T-top in any way.

Russ said:
By the way, Mark, nice of you to pipe up. Why don't you pipe up and explain why <a href=http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26211>you won't refund the $400 core charge you still owe me from two years ago</a>? While you're at it, please explain why you've ripped off so many other members of our community as well.

We're still waiting.

I'm bumping this old thread because I'm thinking about the same project.

One question I have, how hard is it to install the bracket? Is it something any normal stereo shop should be able to do?

Yeah, I think I was the first to do this, at least of the folks on the old list. Thanks Mark for the credit. And my heartfelt apologies to those folks who begged me to make some more. I didn't mind the people at all, but developed some health issues and just couldn't get it together. I'm feeling fine now and still loving the F1, and figured folks like Mark would be doing them if anyone wanted one. I don't know if my old posts are still out there or not, but in general I mounted the volume control on the drivers seat switch panel and mounted the display in the dash panel itself low and to the right of the column. You do have to cut a hole and depending on your steering wheel and where you sit, you may or may not be able to see it. Mine works but just barely. When some of the very inovative folks in the community make that neato digital dash, we can relocate it there.
Larry Long
Tanto/Tanto2
autoll in the old days

One question I have, how hard is it to install the bracket? Is it something any normal stereo shop should be able to do?

It's not difficult at all, remove the top trim panel and mount the bracket using the two existing 10mm bolts. You can get fancy and choose to cut the top panel around the bracket, but it's not absolutely necessary.

I had the same setup before. It worked very well. But, things changed after I installed the double din in-dash navigation system. The screen was causing intererence and V1 was constantly going off. I got rid of the bracket and now V1 is mounted under the visor.

I had the exact problem, my V1 must be placed next to the mirror or the LCD mounted on my nav pod causes a false laser alert at night.

Another prime member helped direct me to this post....

I love this mod as well but yea it won't work for me or anyone who has a LCD or touchscreen double din unit as it will trip the V-1 for sure 100%. I had this problem in an m3 install and we couldn't figure out why it was falsing till we covered the screen and voila, problem gone!

rick

For the guys who've done this, how do you wire a power switch to the V1?
I want to be able to turn the V1 off and on with a switch instead of having it turn on every time I start the car.

I love this mod as well but yea it won't work for me or anyone who has a LCD or touchscreen double din unit as it will trip the V-1 for sure 100%. I had this problem in an m3 install and we couldn't figure out why it was falsing till we covered the screen and voila, problem gone!

Is this because of the double din unit itself, or the navigation antenna interfering with the path of the V1 detection?

Is this because of the double din unit itself, or the navigation antenna interfering with the path of the V1 detection?

I just got off the phone with the V1 tec. service and they stated that they have not had any issues with a navigation system or any DD DVD players interfering with a V1 radar detector they did say that some GM cars w/those bright A$$ led tail lights can some times cause a false reading for laser pop mode. I think your issue might be spacific to your situation.

DRIFTER,
I have placed my V1 in front of an Eclipse 6" monitor, a Kenwood DNX-7100 double din unit, and for the hell of it in front of my Gateway CPU screen in the house. It seems the light from any LCD monitor placed in front of the V1 will trip a constant false laser alert. I have a new V1 unit with all the current version upgrades.

Khiladi1020,
We are talking about a false laser alert on the V1 caused by the light from an LCD screen, and GPS units do not affect radar detectors.

DRIFTER,
I have placed my V1 in front of an Eclipse 6" monitor, a Kenwood DNX-7100 double din unit, and for the hell of it in front of my Gateway CPU screen in the house. It seems the light from any LCD monitor placed in front of the V1 will trip a constant false laser alert. I have a new V1 unit with all the current version upgrades.

Khiladi1020,
We are talking about a false laser alert on the V1 caused by the light from an LCD screen, and GPS units do not affect radar detectors.

:confused: good to know the V1 is not going to work for me before I spend $500 on the thing:smile:

DRIFTER,

Khiladi1020,

Thank you for the clarification! All is not lost for me now... lol

It will still work, you just can't mount it over your right shoulder. I have mine at the top of the windshield to the left of the mirror. It works well in that spot, and unless a cop gets on his knees to look inside my car, he can't see it.

DSC00630.jpg

If it's mounted any further to the right, it will false alert on the stereo equipment.

DSC00628.jpg

Back