• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Vandalism at a parking lot

My daily driver, BMW M5, got keyed at a parking lot which I have used in the past three years on a daily basis.

1. Is the parking lot responsible at all? I had a long conversation with the general manager at the lot, but he was firm on not taking any responsibility to the damage since per their policy.

2. What can I do to fix this? It's all the way across from front to back on the passenger side. Could it be buffed out by a skilled detailer? Or would a body shop need to repaint every single panel?

If you had similar experiences, I would love to hear about how you handled this.

Thank you.

Normally depends on the degree of keying, it could be corrected.

If it's not deep with some loss of clear coat, then you should be able to polish it out the marks.

If it's deeper, a skilled detailer should be able to use matching touch-up paint, followed by some wet sanding and compound polish to make it look good again.

Good luck.

I couldn't imagine the owner of the parking lot being responsible. Hopefully you're comprehensive insurance deductible isn't to high.

that sucks, my brothers m5 (02 carbon/caramel) was egged by some kids and the clear coat is completely fudged,

not very anxious to take sandpaper too it but have tried everything else:rolleyes:

good luck with your m

Thanks for your help.

Perhaps, it's better to park next to other cars than park away from everyone else from now on. Door dings are easier to fix than paint damages or bad things people do to other people's cars...

I am still surprised that the parking office will not take any responsibility - still had to pay the fee to exit!!!!

Was it a secured lot ? Do they have any cameras there ? Its vandalism still and I would file a police report which you will need if you are going thru insurance

That sucks.

I had this happen to my M5 at my work's parking garage. Reserved space for me too.

IMG00370.jpg

Sorry to hear that. Is it free parking or paid parking? and do they have sign posting like " we are not responsible for any damages of your vehicles" that is visible?

That sucks. However, a good bodyshop can do pretty amazing things with paint.

As for the lot taking responsibility, I don't think any parking lot, secured or not, will accept responsibility for you car or its contents. They are only providing a parking space, nothing more.

Sorry to hear yet another act of vandalism perpetrated on a NSX owner (at least it wasn't the NSX). Like others have said, don't think that the lot will take any responsibility, but it makes sense to see if they have any security cameras that are recording, maybe you'll get lucky there. If it's into the clear coat, you're screwed and if "touch-up" doesn't look right to you, you're looking at painting the panels.

You asked to hear other's experiences, so i'll share. My previous NSX was a '91. About 2 mos after I bought it I was in the post office when a woman came running in and said 'whoever has the black sports car outside, someone is out there keying it.' Long story short, some crazy old guy keyed the crap out of it b/c the car was intruding into the handicap spot (no, before you ask, I do not park in handicap spots). He ended up paying to have the car repainted at a cost of many thousands. BTW this was not the first car i've had keyed or vandalized, it's happened several times actually.

Last edited:
I am actually surprised that one would feel the parking lot would be responsible for the damage. I am sorry for you and hope that you know an excellent body shop that can address the damage correctly so the car looks like new when they are finished. People who damage other people's property need to be severely punished.

You asked to hear other's experiences, so i'll share. My previous NSX was a '91. About 2 mos after I bought it I was in the post office when a woman came running in and said 'whoever has the black sports car outside, someone is out there keying it.' Long story short, some crazy old guy keyed the crap out of it b/c the car was intruding into the handicap spot (no, before you ask, I do not park in handicap spots). The police would not prosecute despite the fact that I had two witnesses to the whole thing (he said he didn't do it! :rolleyes:). I ended up contacting his attorney and bluffing, I told him they were going to prosecute his client. He ended up paying to have the car repainted at a cost of many thousands. BTW this was not the first car i've had keyed or vandalized, it's happened several times actually.

Several times? Really? Man- I would change my parking style or something. How do you overhang into a handicapped stall? That is why I never park other than between the lines and typically as far away from everyone else as possible. Been driving for almost 40 years, had a ton of very nice cars and none have ever been keyed- thank goodness.

Thanks for your thoughts and sharing your experience.

I know that it's just a car and that they disclose to customers that they are not responsible for any damages incurred at the lot. However, it's an unfortunate hassle even after paying a large sum of fees (~$500/month) to this secured parking lot in order to have a peace of mind.

I am actually surprised that one would feel the parking lot would be responsible for the damage.

Because that is the law in most states. Here is the standard in New York:

Parking agreement with “park and lock” garage gives rise to implied bailment, where garage is not an open-air arrangement but a fully inclosed permanent structure, egress from which is controlled by attendant at main gate, and where garage operator provides a security guard for garage premises; thus, owner of vehicle parked in garage which was damaged by vandalism could rely on presumption of negligence against garage operator in determining liability for damage.

Additionally, many times the parking facility's "disclaimer" about lack of liability for damage is unenforceable. Many states invalidate it completely since it attempts to absolve the owner of the facility from any liability including in those instances in which an employee may back into someone's car and thereby makes it overbroad and against public policy.

Last edited:
Several times? Really? Man- I would change my parking style or something. How do you overhang into a handicapped stall? That is why I never park other than between the lines and typically as far away from everyone else as possible. Been driving for almost 40 years, had a ton of very nice cars and none have ever been keyed- thank goodness.

That one time it was my fault, I had the car at an angle since I was in a rush and didn't pull back and correct, but that is absolutely no reason to ruin someone's car, i'm sure you would agree. Back in the day my IROC was keyed in the lot of my job, shortly after it was repainted. I found out much later that it was someone I knew and that he had done it out of jealousy...I hooked up with a girl he liked (didn't know he even liked her) and he was afraid to confront me face-to-face so he keyed a quarter panel. Had a window smashed in my Grand National to get the radio, and any other vandalism I can recall occurred in the parking lot of High School and College and was most likely random. Pretty sure I don't need to change my parking style. :smile:

Because that is the law in most states. Here is the standard in New York:

Parking agreement with “park and lock” garage gives rise to implied bailment, where garage is not an open-air arrangement but a fully inclosed permanent structure, egress from which is controlled by attendant at main gate, and where garage operator provides a security guard for garage premises; thus, owner of vehicle parked in garage which was damaged by vandalism could rely on presumption of negligence against garage operator in determining liability for damage.

Additionally, many times the parking facility's "disclaimer" about lack of liability for damage is unenforceable. Many states invalidate it completely since it attempts to absolve the owner of the facility from any liability including in those instances in which an employee may back into someone's car and thereby makes it overbroad and against public policy.

Had the facts contained any information about the "parking lot" being a facility as described above, my comments would have been different. As described, I took it to be a typical parking lot, not a secure facility with security. I also agree with you about the canned language disclaimers which can typically be defeated in court as just that, canned language.

Back