• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Venturing into stereo upgrade quagmire...please help.

So there I am driving along happy as a clam, listening to CD's on my stock NSX stereo jamming right along on a smooth road when all of the sudden the music cuts out, then is back.....then cuts out again. At first I thought maybe I had gone over some bumps and not noticed causing a skip, but that was not the case. How do I know this you ask?? Well, it did it when the car was stopped at a red light as well. No bumps there. :)

Here is the kicker. It ONLY cuts out the music while playing CD's. So I am figuring the amps must be okay, or it would do it all the time CD or not. Now, seeing as how I love my music, and love high quality sound, I started to hear those voices in my head calling out to me again.

They said... 'Mitch......Mitch....you know you want to upgrade this stereo. I saw the look on your face when the music cut out. You want a screen that flips out of the dash, you want to play DVD's and CD's...and you want to be able to just ROCK!! So go ahead....modify it!!' :D

Now, with the voices telling me to fix this problem through upgrade (since I have no real clue why it is cutting out, and needed an excuse to replace the stock Bose), I started into the black hole that is stereo enhancement. Why is this a black hole you ask?? Well, I know pretty much nothing about stereo components these days. I know the sound I like, what I want, and what look I am going for, but have no real idea whatsoever what pieces to get. :(

So, those of you sitting in the grandstands with your popcorn, Diet Coke, and box of Jelly Belly's are in a front row position to either help me build a great stereo, or look on in shameful disgust as I accidentally shock myself by trying to hook up parts that just suck. I personally am voting for the helping me build the great stereo option....and yes, I will send you another box of Jelly Belly's for your effort. ;)

So, here is what I want:

1.) In dash CD, DVD, and flip out monitor capability. Monitor must be adjustable to compensate for angle of NSX dash and sunlight.

2.) I DO NOT want to cut any additional holes or make permanent alterations to the vehicle. If at some point in time I want to reinstall the Bose, I want to be able to do that WITHOUT having to buy new console pieces because the originals were maimed or cut to make this other stuff fit. I do not want to have to permanantly hack any wiring harnesses either. That is too expensive to fix.

3.) The system should play everything from Sarah McLachlan, to Mozart, or Techno to Gangsta Rap, and sound good doing it. I have a system in my Integra GS-R that does this, so I know it can be done. Granted, the GS-R has more space...but oh well. :D

4.) The system needs to look like it belongs in the car. Aesthetics are important, as this car will be entered in car shows to promote my upcoming Internet based car parts business.

I know this is a high order, but it can be done. So, since I have already begun to sink into the quagmire, help me pick the right stuff so at least I have something to show for the expense. Oh boy......here we go again.... ;) :D

the only comment i have here is that the ONLY way you're not going to modify your dash panel is by sticking with the stock head unit (and it sounds like there may be a problem with that... or the CD changer, or the wiring in between). realistically you're looking at removing the stock console trim, putting it in a closet and buying a third party piece that can be hacked and cut that can accept DIN sized head units.

as far as what to choose for components, take a look through this area and see what others have done. theres TONS of choices, and as long as you choose wisely and have a good installer, you'll do fine.

Meeyatch1 said:
So, here is what I want:

1.) In dash CD, DVD, and flip out monitor capability. Monitor must be adjustable to compensate for angle of NSX dash and sunlight.

2.) I DO NOT want to cut any additional holes or make permanent alterations to the vehicle. If at some point in time I want to reinstall the Bose, I want to be able to do that WITHOUT having to buy new console pieces because the originals were maimed or cut to make this other stuff fit. I do not want to have to permanantly hack any wiring harnesses either. That is too expensive to fix.

3.) The system should play everything from Sarah McLachlan, to Mozart, or Techno to Gangsta Rap, and sound good doing it.

4.) The system needs to look like it belongs in the car.

1. There are quite a few choices here - features & aesthetics are going to come down to your personal taste so research the premium vendors sites & see what takes your fancy. You can certainly find something that meets your primary criteria as defined in this bullet

2. Get the SOS replacemement console & put your stock head & console in a closet somewhere. Whether you get the ash-tray or delete version will depend on how much room you need to accomodate with your new component(s). As far as wiring harness is concerned there is no need to hack existing - adapters are available, with several threads in this very forum that will give you details of what/where to buy.

3. Just about any system will obviously play your different preferences - the key rider is what your definition of sounding good is: you can certainly use your existing bose amps/speakers or go with an external amp and after-market speakers; endless choices here, depending on your ultimate audiophilic requirements (and of course associated budget!). The only thing you are probably limiting yourself to is not making holes in the doors for seperate tweeters, but you can get a co-axially mounted component speaker set or mount the tweet down low next to the mid (both options will allow reversability). Note that co-axially mounted components (driven by cross-over) are not the same as co-axial speaker which is another cheaper alternative (with associated performance). Even sub-woofers and boxes are available; stick with an 8" to avoid complications.

4. The most difficult requirement - that all depends on who does the work for you & whether the selection of the primary component is complementary to the design to begin with. My personal view is that a pop-out screen in the console does not look quite natural in this vintage of car; they all look after-market to some degree. Even the pod is somewhat of a compromise but personally prefer that look with single din head as more "integrated". However I would not press my preferences on anyone else - there are many fine examples of what others have accomplished on this site.

Bottom line - you can meet your goals I believe, especially wrt reversability which is readily do-able; but ultimately it will depend on your individual tastes & more relevantly budget - you can do literally anything you desire if you throw enough money at it!

Thanks for the posts you two. I am willing to buy another center console trim piece, I just want to make sure that none of the mounting points for screws and associated hardware underneath of that are going to be altered. Do you know what I mean? It has to be reversible.

I understand, your value is shared by many - to confirm, the SOS console trim panel requires no rework or alteration of the main console tunnel; similarly the stock wiring does not need to be cut into - adapters are available & any splicing necessary can take place on those components as opposed to butchering stock harness.

One small mod I had to make to fit the SOS console was to trim the aspirator fan slightly with a dremel sanding disc to fit; this in no way compromises its ability to work with stock component or affect its operation in any way. Of course it's completely obscured behind the panel anyway.

The only other consideration is that you would need to match the console trim paint finish to the factory stock item; it's a much easier proposition to paint the vent/grille surround to match whatever colour you make the console (obviously returning to stock means original vent colour should be retained however) - if you go with the pod screen solution though you can put your original vent/grill assembly in the closet too and paint new console whatever colour you choose ! Whichever way you go, you need to match the color of both components or it won't meet your citeria of not looking "added-on".

D'Ecosse said:
- if you go with the pod screen solution though you can put your original vent/grill assembly in the closet too and paint new console whatever colour you choose ! Whichever way you go, you need to match the color of both components or it won't meet your citeria of not looking "added-on".

Doesn't the pod screen require you to drill holes in the dash though??

Meeyatch1 said:
Doesn't the pod screen require you to drill holes in the dash though??
Right now mine is just sitting there with no fixing - both ChrisK & myself have similar feelings about screwing down through the dash! We are both looking at potential alternatives - I will likely afix a bracket inside then use double-sided tape or adhesive backed velcro.
Incidentally it actually sits there quite nicely under normal driving - only issue is would be not too safe in any kind of accident where it might go flying! (So motivated form that perspective to make it a little more secure)

D'Ecosse said:
Right now mine is just sitting there with no fixing - both ChrisK & myself have similar feelings about screwing down through the dash! We are both looking at potential alternatives - I will likely afix a bracket inside then use double-sided tape or adhesive backed velcro.
Incidentally it actually sits there quite nicely under normal driving - only issue is would be not too safe in any kind of accident where it might go flying! (So motivated form that perspective to make it a little more secure)

See, I would love to get that screen, but I would have to have a way to secure it without the holes.

i havent seen the pod, but surely there must be a fairly easy way either with velcro or double sided tape, or maybe even something like rubber cement (which i THINK would come off the dash easily?)

D'Ecosse said:
IOne small mod I had to make to fit the SOS console was to trim the aspirator fan slightly with a dremel sanding disc to fit; this in no way compromises its ability to work with stock component or affect its operation in any way. Of course it's completely obscured behind the panel anyway.

I'm thinking this is a variation from console to console because I was able to mount the ash tray unit with aspirator fan on my SOS without modfications. However, the fiberglass SOS console doesn need work to get everything to get better IMHO. It fits okay, but you do need to tweek it a bit.

There's nothing currently in the pod to stick it to - it's pretty much an open frame at the part that interfaces with the dash: hence my suggestion it needs a bracket glued in there first (to attach the tape, velcro or whatever to) so there is a parallel medium between the dash & pod.

ChrisK said:
I'm thinking this is a variation from console to console....
Most likely Chris - the finished (front or top) side is obviously the part in the mold while the inside is going to vary as it is laid up with the glass. I could have sanded that down instead of the aspirator fan, but the fan was just easier to access & I wasn't too concerned about blowing through that with the dremel vs the console! I was surprised that I did actually remove a decent chunk of material from the fan to acommodate however, at least in my case.

D'Ecosse said:

I would agree, so far it has stayed in place, but if you get into an accident I know it will pop out. I think what I will do is fiberglass the entire bottom end of the nav pod. This serves me two purposes. It will act as a sealed enclusure for my center channel, and also have a nice flat bottom in which I will probably use the very sticky emblem and trim double stick tape. I will also run two thin metal straps (the type you use for stereo back bracing) under the pod (I probably will have to cut grooves in my newly glassed bottom to retain its flatness) to mount to the stock brace that the AC control unit bolts to. This will prevent it from flying out of the dash in an accident and the double stick tape should be enough to keep the back end from lifting off the dash under hard acceleration (Although mine never moves even unbolted). I might try the velcro first to see if that holds up well enough since that would make it easier to remove for servicing. If not, I'm sure the double stick tape will hold up since my 02+ mini spoiler is held down that way and it hasn't lifted yet.

Last edited:
Rather than traditional velcro, you should try dual lock. It is considerably stronger than velcro, and it allows less play between the two things that are stuck together. Maybe there should be a section of the gallery that shows just stereo installs that people have done. Since a LOT of people seem to end up doing them on this car. You would think Acura would have upgraded this stereo over the years. If this was a $25K car, that's one thing. But $89K and the first thing you have to do is practically change the entire audio system out to get decent sound??!? I'm watching with great interest (and popcorn) how your new system comes out Meeytach1. Good luck to you.

Back