• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

VIC Crackdown on Loud Cars

Gday all,

I saw some report on TV yesterday saying that VIC police is cracking down on loud cars.....

Is anyone with an aftermarket louder exhaust a little bit wary of this? I'm hoping they'll leave the NSXs alone......well, here's to hoping.

Unfortunatley not a chance. It's not only Police that will be cracking down. Authorised officers can also report you if they think that your car is too loud. This results in having 30 days to get tested and prove you are below the aloowable limit. This requires a appointment and associated cost, can't remember but around $50. Does not matter if you are below the limit you still have to pay.
If you are over the hassle is then getting a new exhaust and another test (associated cost and maybe time off work). It's a real PITA. A lot of places may also say the car is too hard to work on, not enough space.
I went through all of this on about my third drive in Melbourne about a year ago.
Best just to be aware and short shift!

If you get pulled over by the authorities and they ask you to rev your car to see if you have a loud exhaust i would refuse on the basis that most vehicles have the potenial to have loud exhausts if you rev them, same as all vehicles have the potential to go over the speed limit if you drive them fast.

Unless they have caught you while revving you vehicle to an excessive noise level you have not broken the law.

If you get pulled over by the authorities and they ask you to rev your car to see if you have a loud exhaust i would refuse on the basis that most vehicles have the potenial to have loud exhausts if you rev them, same as all vehicles have the potential to go over the speed limit if you drive them fast.

Unless they have caught you while revving you vehicle to an excessive noise level you have not broken the law.

Unless you live in Victoria, gulity until proven innocent is this case. If any Police "think" that the car was too loud that is all they need. They will not even pull you over, just a letter in the mail sending you off to get checked at your own cost.
There have even been cases where Police will write down license plates from cars at a meet with big exhausts and owners getting a letter in the mail.

Maybe I'm getting old but I must say I'm not totally opposed to this.

I think 4cyl cars with 3" exhaust systems is stupid from both a noise and engineering perspective,.

I personally can't stand Harleys because of the stupid loud exhaust on them. Ducati's have a sweet v-twin sound which is not obnoxiously loud but still performance orientated.

I know you can have a performance enhanced exhaust and not be obnoxiously loud...

Although I disagree with the way it is policed and I think that needs to be changed...

Re: SOS engine

Maybe I'm getting old but I must say I'm not totally opposed to this.

I think 4cyl cars with 3" exhaust systems is stupid from both a noise and engineering perspective,.

I personally can't stand Harleys because of the stupid loud exhaust on them. Ducati's have a sweet v-twin sound which is not obnoxiously loud but still performance orientated.

I know you can have a performance enhanced exhaust and not be obnoxiously loud...

Although I disagree with the way it is policed and I think that needs to be changed...

you are getting old.lol

Re: SOS engine

you are getting old.lol

phew! Finally I can apply for a seniors card and get cheap public transport!

The last thing I would want to do is not know when I'm getting old and keep driving on the road at a little faster than a snail, totally oblivious to the other people on the road around me who actually have places they need to be before they too get old waiting for me to give way to the car 10 km away...

So harley's, old drivers... who's next? Anyone for religion or politics? :biggrin:

Back