• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Victoria: Car ferry

Any Prime member in Victoria (or knows Victoria well)? I am thinking of visiting Victoria in late June with my family. Can anyone suggest a nice place to stay in Victoria. Traveling with 4 kids. Looking for accomendation that have 2-bedroom suites. May also swing by Vancouver for a couple of days before heading over to Victoria.

Regarding the car ferry from Victoria to Port Angeles, is customs before or after we get on the ferry? This will give me a clue to when to get to the ferry terminal. Thanks.

Although I lived in Victoria for over a year off and on, I cannot recomend a place that completely fills your particular needs. One thing I would highly recomend though is staying at one of the downtown hotels. There are many nice ones to choose from, and you can walk to 90% of things you'd like to see.

As for the ferry, I'm not sure how customs works, but the ferrie's website (The Coho btw) is http://www.cohoferry.com/

Thanks, I'll start checking on the web for hotels in the downtown area. Being able to walk to 90% of the tourist things are nice. Tires the kids out, and they'll be less hyper in the evening.:wink:

I was over in Victoria in January and stayed at a place called laurel inn, its doesnt have two bedroom suites, but I stayed in a regular suite and it was so nice with the flat screen tv and stuff.

Heh, I've lived in Victoria for 24 years, and I can't answer either of those questions off the top of my head :redface: I'll check around and see about finding a hotel with multi-room suites, and check on the customs steps for the Coho. You'll be taking it from Victoria back to Washington, correct?

Heh, I've lived in Victoria for 24 years, and I can't answer either of those questions off the top of my head :redface: I'll check around and see about finding a hotel with multi-room suites, and check on the customs steps for the Coho. You'll be taking it from Victoria back to Washington, correct?

Isn't that ironic? Most people will visit further destinations, but will overlook the local treasures.:rolleyes: I know I have not visit some of my local "tourist spot". Yes, our current plan is to taking the car ferry back to Washington. We are planning to viit some castles in Victoria. We love castles. Too much history channel.:biggrin: Thank you.

Is there some special event taking place in Victoria on the week of 6/23/08 - 6/26/08? Seems like many of the hotels are completely booked for 3 of the 4 days?

Last edited:
In downtown , I like the grand pacific . Very nice suites

slamstrom,

You may want to check the Marriott (It's just behind the Empress).
We were there several years ago and the place was brand new. Fairly reasonable and everything is a walkable distance.

I'm not sure how it's done now with the homeland security issues, but years ago, customs was just as we were coming off the boat in Port Angeles.

Have a great trip...the people up in Canada are terrific!

I know this has nothing to do with it... but 2 years ago my mom and I drove to victoria from reno and I swore to myself "my this time next year, I will have an NSX and my girlfriend and I will come up here." Well, we broke up, I got a new girl, and we and the NSX ended up driving to reno. Atleast I finished my goal of obtaining an NSX!

Have a great trip...the people up in Canada are terrific!

Its true - I don't deny it!:tongue:
And we got lots of hotties too!:biggrin:

I know this has nothing to do with it... but 2 years ago my mom and I drove to victoria from reno and I swore to myself "my this time next year, I will have an NSX and my girlfriend and I will come up here." Well, we broke up, I got a new girl, and we and the NSX ended up driving to reno. Atleast I finished my goal of obtaining an NSX!

You broke up with your Mom:confused: Then got a new girl and drove her to Reno?:confused: Where does the NSX come into it:confused:

Its true - I don't deny it!:tongue:
And we got lots of hotties too!:biggrin:

You broke up with your Mom:confused: Then got a new girl and drove her to Reno?:confused: Where does the NSX come into it:confused:

Haha I said my goal was to go back in an NSX with my girlfriend at the time (mainly cause it was a fun place but my company is boring... and I didn't have an NSX yet.. it was just a huge goal of mine). But then we broke up.. .so I couldn't ever go back with her... but I did hit my goal of obtaining an NSX... But didn't feel like going all the way up the entire country =]

Thank you for all the suggestions. I will start looking into your recommendations.

Talking a some folks who've taken the Coho, you'll "pre-clear" customs here in Victoria, so budget some extra time for boarding!

This looks promising. Will have wife take a look online and check for availability. Thanks.

Disclaimer :smile: : I have not stayed at this place myself but plan to do so when I visit Victoria next year. You may want to ask a local member about the area, etc.

Please share your experience if you end up staying there.

Ray

Hello, I live in Victoria any info you need I'll be more then happier to help. The down town hotels are very nice and there are lots too choose from. Bear Mountain is very nice but under construction and 1/2 hour out of town if you dont get stuck in traffic. The hotels depend on how much you want to spend per night because this is a tourist town and they are not cheap. But PM me and I can answer anthing you like!

We got reservations at the Swan (per BigYellowMan's recommendation). Like the virtual tour and it's about $350 per night. It is expensive for a hotel suite, but since we've never been to Victoria before, I figured why not make the visit to Victoria as memorable as possible. I'll PM you (Lime Green NSX) when I'm in Vancouver/Richmond. Always a pleasure to meet Prime members.

Hello, my friends...

Swan is a nice place but it is on the outskirt of right down town. The member that mention the Marriot and the Grand Pacific they are right where you want to be. They are in walking distance to any where. Swans is ok but older and the poor live outside just down the road from there. Not too attractive but they have a great micro beer!!!! that they make. There is as well Harbour Towers, Coast Hotel, do you want to be by water or where the night life is or just a view with quite at night? there are alot in Victoria too many to name.
But fill me in of what you would like and I can help you to my best.

Shawn

Shawn,
Thanks for the suggestions. Marriott & the Grand Pacific were fully booked. I checked Harbour Towers again, and a two bedroom suite opened up. So, I changed my reservations from the Swan to the Harbour Towers. Since my wife and I love to walk and see the local sight, the location of Harbour Towers is perfect. I'll PM you in 2 weeks.
Alan

Sounds good Alan, you'll like it there plus it will be more enjoyable in the evening instead of the crowds getting out of the night clubs by you patio!!

Shawn

Shawn,
Sorry, I didn't get a chance to PM you while I was in Victoria. Your suggestion to stay at the Harbour Tower was great. The suites was on the older side, but the location and the view were excellent. We were on the 9th floor with an inner harbour view. We walked out to the wharf by the outer harbour, and also walked around the inner harbour up to Font Street (and everywhere in between). We took the BC ferry from Richmond to Victoria and the Coho ferry from Victoria to Port Angeles. The BC ferry is the way to go: bigger ship, shorter wait, hourly departure, and smoother operation. I will definitely return to Victoria. Next time, I will PM you before arriving so we can get together. Thanks again for your suggestion.

BTW, For those who plans on visiting Victoria; the Grand Pacific looks really nice from the outside. The Empress is impressive and has a historical look.

Last edited:
Hi Alan, Well it sounds like you had a good time. I was down town last night with the kids and wife being Canada day, it was packed, there was around 70,000 people there - kids love it! I mentioned that to the wife that you never PM me... oh well next time your up.... Where abouts are you?

Shawn

Back