• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Vin check

Hello,

Been a long time fan and in recent search of a Gen 1 NSX. Stumbled on this forum from BaT. Can anyone give me input on this VIN? I'm looking at several cars online and this one I seem to go back to every time. It appears to have a Comptech supercharger. I know they are a reputable company but are supercharged NSXs reliable? Thanks in advance.

VIN JH4NA21663T000118

Hello,

Been a long time fan and in recent search of a Gen 1 NSX. Stumbled on this forum from BaT. Can anyone give me input on this VIN? I'm looking at several cars online and this one I seem to go back to every time. It appears to have a Comptech supercharger. I know they are a reputable company but are supercharged NSXs reliable? Thanks in advance.

VIN JH4NA21663T000118

Many of the NA2 (3.2L) cars were supercharged at the dealer using the Comptech kit at the time of purchase, which tells us that Acura believed the kit was very reliable. In the original format with the low-boost pulley, this is indeed a very reliable system based on owner experience. But, remember the initial install was likely over 20 years ago. All mechanical things wear out and the NSX is no exception. If it's on its original supercharger, then you may need to address wear items like bearings and belts. I'd also have a compression and leakdown test performed to check for ring wear and other potential internal engine issues that come with using forced induction long term.

Also, if you are serious about this car, I would have the frame inspected and measured at a competent collision shop to ensure there has been no major structural damage in the car's past. At this point in the NSX's history, most of these cars have been involved in some kind of collision. Many are minor, but some are serious and we have seen several of the newer NA2 cars come through with intentionally concealed major frame damage. Before I drop $90k on a NSX, I would want to know exactly what I'm buying and I'd gladly pay a shop the $500 to check it out first.

I did a quick check, and this car has not been mentioned on Prime before.

If you are serious about purchasing, it would seem appropriate to run a Carfax or equivalent. There does appear to be some accident history.

thank you for the info. I am partial to silver right now so it just jumped out at me. I think I will scour this forum for some research and classified ads. Thanks again. Hopefully I can find one I want in the next few months.

Snap Ring range comment on BaT

The 1st one sold yesterday for $82K. Did BaT block your comments?

There are currently 2 NSXs on Bring a Trailer. Both are 1992 models and the transmission numbers seem to fall into the Snap Ring risk group.

I tried to post something on one of them and got the feeling that it was not a welcome comment.

Here are the two listings:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1992-acura-nsx-49/
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1992-acura-nsx-48/

Just trying to help

Ken

Back