• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

viper or nsx?

Originally posted by v8hunter:
how is handling of nsx? is it hard to drive due to mid engine layout or very balenced and easy to drive?

Hey. I think the best thing for you would be to go out and drive one for yourself. We could post all day on how nice it is to drive, but you won't really know until you drive it for yourself. I've driven a couple of pre-97 NSXs and both were awesome to drive. Felt like driving a go-cart. Very nice handling, and the view was great. The road was right there in front of you. Big change from my C5 where there's a big V8 sitting in the front.

As I said, drive one and you'll be hooked. Btw, I've also driven a Viper and in my opinion, the NSX is a more "fun" car than the Viper.

------------------
2001 QuickSilver Corvette Coupe - Not Stock

2002 Black Acura 3.2 TL/S

www.RacingFlix.com

nsxstay:

"Things I don't like about the NSX:

1. I wish they had left the natural fragrance of the leather in the car instead of coating the leather"

I finally applied the UK Liquid Leather "smell restorer" I wrote about last month: the result is fantastic! It really restored the leather smell and now my car smells like a Ferrari, Maserati or Jaguar! Since you, like me, miss this featurem, they can be the best 10$ you can invest in this...

V8hunter, although I posted this a week or so ago to someone who was looking to make a choice between a Viper or an NSX I figured I'd repost as some of it applies to your dilemma.

I sold my 96 Viper RT/10 (white/blue stripe, 17K orig. miles when purchased) 5 months ago and just got back last week from picking up a black 92 NSX w/ 38,400 miles (drove her 12 hours home from IN). All the above points are good but I thought I'd throw in my 2¢. Simply put, you will never find a car that attracts as much attention w/ the general populace as a Viper, including but not limited to a Countach, F355, 996TT, etc. Kids, old folks, even animals love it. Corvettes don't even rank when it comes to this category simply because of their ubiquity, although I think they're nice cars but not my cup of tea. Driving the Viper is like driving a blimp down Main Street USA - it can't be missed. The NSX is like a stealth fighter, it seems to sneak up on people. Lots of attention once you stop to gas up though. This is a mixed blessing, I enjoyed letting people sit in the Viper, see the engine, etc. but it also attracted some fairly negative attention. I liked nothing more than getting out of town and heading to the N. Georgia Mountains for some solitude and quailty speed time. Viper also wins hands down in the hp/torque category for obvious reasons. Personally I enjoy feel of the NSX, it's a nice stream of power, like a good high pressure shower head v. the sometimes out-of-control firehose feel of the Viper. Sure, I could go for more HP, but who couldn't. The Viper was an absolute blast to drive and I have to respectfully disagree that it can't be a daily driver, you just have to work a lot harder at it. I bought mine and took it on a GA to CA to GA 6K mile "Vipercamp 2001" road trip and it was the most fun I've had in years. I also drove it to work quite a bit. (I put 18K miles on it in ten months, that says it all). You have to assess how much risk/reward comes from driving it daily. You exponentially increase your chances of a fender bender, vandalism, verbal abuse by insecure losers, etc. Oddly enough, I heard the same horror stories about the cockpit heat and poor AC of the Viper before buying. Not true, at least not in my case. Air was ice cold and the fact that the top and windows don't really fit dissipates plenty of heat. I've found in the last week that the black cockpit of my NSX gets much hotter in the GA heat since the doors and windows actually seal, although AC is also good in the NSX. Handling I'd have to go with the NSX simply because it's user friendly and confidence inspiring. The Viper makes you a little nervous (which is good in a way) and you're never quite sure when something is going to cut loose. I got it up to 160 while in Utah and it was like riding in the space shuttle upon re-entry. Fun but a little scary too. Although I haven't made a high speed run in the NSX I took it on the Great Smoky Mountains Parkway in TN and was very happy with the handling. Exhaust note, hands down NSX. Steve McQueen and LeMans come to mind - Viper sounds like UPS truck. (update: installed Taitec lightweight exhaust from SoS - love it!) Over the long haul I'd say the NSX would probably be more reliable but I put more miles on my Viper in 10 months than had been put on it in the previous 6 years and it performed flawlessly. I'll wrap up this book I've started and put it as simply as I know how. When friends ask me if I like my NSX I say, without hesitation, "I love it". With the Viper it was always "she's beautiful, fast, wild, fun, whacked, unreal, etc." but I never said I loved it. You can have a heck of a lot of fun with a Viper and I wouldn't trade my ownership experience but you can live with and love an NSX without compromise. I'll no doubt buy an NSX-T in a year or two, I doubt I'll ever buy another Viper.

[This message has been edited by Tbone (edited 24 September 2002).]

Back