• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Vtec switch

After about four lap into my forth session in the driving school, my check engine light came on. And the rev limiter kicks in a lot sooner (about 6800 rpm). I finished my session shifting at about 6500 rpm. I turned off the engine to reset the computer and the lights went out. Drove back to the hotel tried it to rev all the way up to 8000 rpm, everything seem to be fine. The next day, After a couple of lap, my check engine light came on again. I pitted and reseted it and went on to continue running the track. About halfway to the first lap, again the light came on. So I decided to finish the day and head home to my mechanic.

Got it checked and the code say it's the rear oil pressure switch (vtec switch). It's a switch that open up the vtec when the oil pressure gets to the switch (I'm not sure if I decribed that correctly). I am wonderin if anybody ever experience this? What causes this? Is it just a faulty switch or is my oil did not generate enough pressure to open up the valve for the vtec?

Attachments

• 3023.jpeg
    3023.jpeg
    15.4 KB · Views: 0
Do you see anything weird going on with the oil pressure gauge? The problem is most likely just a bad switch or sensor. The vtec system is not directly activated by oil pressure, though it uses oil pressure to operate.

[This message has been edited by Lud (edited 25 April 2000).]

Noyhing weird with the oil pressure gauge. I tried to drive it hard in the highway the day after the driving school. Could not make the lights came on again. However I decided to have the switch replaced after all. My mechanic happen to have the switch in stock and let me have it for a week or two, tryin it out.

Back