• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

VW gets hit with multi-billion fine

This is pretty bad.
It sounds like the ECU could detect if there was smog testing equipment connected to the car and change the engine tune to put out 40% less smog during testing?
Not good.... Not good.

it is taking a dump...I don't buy auto stocks,though,not sexy enough.

it is taking a dump...I don't buy auto stocks,though,not sexy enough.

Same here but I'm always looking for a deal. Don't follow any auto stocks though. Pays a 3% div at Friday's price. I'm guessing it will recover at some point so was thinking of long term with div.

its a huge company,and really a Europe play so if the us debacle moves the needle(which it is),you are right ..

This is pretty bad.
It sounds like the ECU could detect if there was smog testing equipment connected to the car and change the engine tune to put out 40% less smog during testing?
Not good.... Not good.
The difference is a lot more than 40%. The EPA's letter to VW says "emissions of NOx increased by a factor of 10 to 40 times above the EPA compliant levels, depending on the type of drive cycle (e.g., city, highway)."

For almost a year, VW tried to deny this was deliberate cheating. They now admit that it was.

sneaky Germans were secretly terraforming america for a potential colonization...:tongue:

So once they make correct adjustments the cars will have like 3hp, lol.

BP was decimated when they had their oil spill. The stock was creamed and I stepped in near the bottom then waited for CNN to take down their little window of the oil well gushing into the sea. Boom, stock went back up. Hope the same thing happens here for VW.

So once they make correct adjustments the cars will have like 3hp, lol.

I'm curious how, from a technical point of view, they could fix the issue.
I'm assuming a MPG and/or HP decrease will result in whatever they could do to lower the emissions and that in and of itself will be a class action lawsuit.

Probably should but I won't. The div is decent where I bought it and will return me back to where it was yesterday in short order. It will recover.

There was no lawsuit, but this has kind-of been tried before. Sorry to bring up super old stories of a domestic car.

In reference to Pontiac's famous 1973 Trans Am SD-455:
2gta.com said:
Well, it appears that Pontiac had to play games to get the Super Duty a smog legal status. Originally, a camshaft with .480" inches of lift was planned and indeed this engine seemingly passed the emissions tests, as the duration of the tests lasted 50 seconds. Pontiac developed an EGR system that would only be activated for 53 seconds of run time, enough of a cushion to allow for production variances. The EPA found out and decided this little variation wasn't quite in the spirit of the law so the approval was revoked and Pontiac set out to re-engineer the SD so it would be legal again.

Last edited:
I'm curious how, from a technical point of view, they could fix the issue.
I'm assuming a MPG and/or HP decrease will result in whatever they could do to lower the emissions and that in and of itself will be a class action lawsuit.

I drive at night as little as possible. I like to keep my nocturnal emissions to a minimum.

There was no lawsuit, but this has kind-of been tried before. Sorry to bring up super old stories of a domestic car.

In reference to Pontiac's famous 1973 Trans Am SD-455:

Although I haven't taken the time to look and confirm someone told me that AMC also did the same thing using the hood pin switch to de-tune the motor. When the hood was open to place the testing equipment on the engine the car would pass.

I think we are seeing why so many diesel configurations are available in other countries that are not available here in the states.

I predict that VAG will be selling off a few of their subsidiaries to raise some money. Porsche will probably be first to go.

I predict that VAG will be selling off a few of their subsidiaries to raise some money. Porsche will probably be first to go.

And each machine, tool, die, desk, work bench, etc will be optional and an additional cost over the actual selling price of the company.

Last edited:
I'm curious how this will play out. I have a 2013 TDI as a daily. If they detune the car expensive emissions parts life will decrease mpg and Hp will suffer. They can require a reflash to re-reg. Owners will not be happy with that class action lawsuits are lined up ready to attack. The lawyers are all over the forums. I don't live in the NYC so mine will get a boost in HP (around +130) and get about 59mpg if this is the only option (roll coal) after a required reflash on VWs dime eventually.

EPA fines can total $37,000 per vehicle (I can see the EPA buying all the cars back) or force VW to buy all them back. Most likely the cheapest option for them. (No more TDI VW's) if that's the case VW just did me a favor 0% financing they payed $2k more then I payed for my trade in and I got 48mpg for the past 3 years on VW. The way I look at it I'm up.

If they do nothing or make the reflash optional (same thing) I still love my TDI for what it is. A dam good daily! I don't think the resale will be effected especially if VW starts selling the detuned version or stops TDI sales in the U.S. All together.

Last edited:

Being a non-finance guy, I am curious - what happens to the stock price (POAHY) if VW sells them off to raise funds? My non-educated impression is that the stock would tank, but as I said I am non-educated.

Crazy. I can't believe that a whole Dept. of Engineers would go through all the effort know full and well that When, not If but when EPA/Gov'ts find out that they will have Hell to pay.

All I know is that Toyota's Hybrid Dept. is celebrating right about now!

Back