• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

VW's with 100000 miles?

VW has a new TV commercial claiming that there are more VW's on the road with more than 100000 miles than any other carmaker.

How can this be? I think of VW's as trouble prone and as mechanical failures waiting to happen.

Do they maybe sell more diesels than other makers with better durability than gasoline models?

VW has a new TV commercial claiming that there are more VW's on the road with more than 100000 miles than any other carmaker.

How can this be?
You're kidding right? You do realize that VW as a corporation is larger than the big three combined. I hesistate you're thinking about the north american market only as VW's are everywhere in Europe and Asia.

You're kidding right? You do realize that VW as a corporation is larger than the big three combined. I hesistate you're thinking about the north american market only as VW's are everywhere in Europe and Asia.

2012 total worldwide vehicle production: Volkswagen is 3rd, behind Toyota and General Motors (Wikipedia).

Here's 2012 JD Powers.
VW is always at the bottom. Some years at the very bottom:

jd-power-iqs-1.jpg

Last edited:
When someone (a company) makes a claim like that, you have to wonder if they mean statistically. Maybe they have the most vehicles on the road over 100K out of those produced?

I dont know, I just never believe numbers in advertising until I can break it down and find the angle they're throwing them to me at.

2012 total worldwide vehicle production: Volkswagen is 3rd, behind Toyota and General Motors (Wikipedia).
When I made my comment, I was thinking VW Group which includes a plethora of brands (Audi, Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini, Porsche, SEAT, Škoda and Volkswagen). If we are talking VW in the similar fashion as 'Chrevrolet' or 'Cadillac', then I would be totally off base indeed.

Back