• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

walks through glass without breaking it

The glass actually extends down through the wall, the trick is the bottom half has a hole in the middle, put the piece of paper over it and an accomplice slides the glass up, push through the hole and take your bows while your accomplice slides the glass back down, tap the glass and prove that it is solid. The "store owner" is a shill as are most of the "spectators." The removal of the shoes is a distraction and you will notice the camera speeds up during that process so that you cannot tell how long the actual "setup" takes. Very "convenient" to find that paper in the trash as well.

Yes...the only explanation is that the glass he walked through had a hole in it and it was substituted using an accomplice.

The "shop owner" was not a believable actor.

This one is pretty weak. :rolleyes:

However, David Blaine does freak me out with a lot of his tricks/stunts. Not to mention the large scale stuff, but even the card tricks and the floating in the air trick...mmmm :eek:

Camera trick maybe??? :confused:

bling said:
However, David Blaine does freak me out with a lot of his tricks/stunts. Not to mention the large scale stuff, but even the card tricks and the floating in the air trick...mmmm :eek:

Camera trick maybe??? :confused:

He has something that he is using to balance on. It is concealed in his pants. From the particular camera angle, its contact point on the ground is obscured. The cameraman is in on it.

One I like and I did with my kids was where you pick a card and it appears somewhere else. In my case, I made it show up in the microwave, and Blaine had it appear on the other side of a glass window. I just went through a simple deductive process with the children, who are exceptionally bright. Did YOU put it in the microwave? No. Did your brother put it in the microwave? No. Well, then, who could have put it in the microwave? After about a second, the conclusion is obvious.

When Blaine makes the 6 of spades appear taped to a window on the other side of the glass, there are only a couple explanations. The first is that he hands that card to someone else to put on the window. The other is that he is using hand substitution to force the "victim" to pick the card he's already got taped to the window. Blaine is exceptionally good at slight of hand, as are most magicians like this. They could pawn an entire deck of cards without trouble. So, Blaine probably gives the guy a deck full of 6s to pick from and shows everyone else a real deck. Then, he throws the real deck against the glass and there's your card.

Magic tricks depend upon cognitive dissonance as a result of experiencing the unexpected. If you focus and eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.

liftshard said:
He has something that he is using to balance on. It is concealed in his pants. From the particular camera angle, its contact point on the ground is obscured. The cameraman is in on it.

One I like and I did with my kids was where you pick a card and it appears somewhere else. In my case, I made it show up in the microwave, and Blaine had it appear on the other side of a glass window. I just went through a simple deductive process with the children, who are exceptionally bright. Did YOU put it in the microwave? No. Did your brother put it in the microwave? No. Well, then, who could have put it in the microwave? After about a second, the conclusion is obvious.

When Blaine makes the 6 of spades appear taped to a window on the other side of the glass, there are only a couple explanations. The first is that he hands that card to someone else to put on the window. The other is that he is using hand substitution to force the "victim" to pick the card he's already got taped to the window. Blaine is exceptionally good at slight of hand, as are most magicians like this. They could pawn an entire deck of cards without trouble. So, Blaine probably gives the guy a deck full of 6s to pick from and shows everyone else a real deck. Then, he throws the real deck against the glass and there's your card.

Magic tricks depend upon cognitive dissonance as a result of experiencing the unexpected. If you focus and eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.

How about the steak knife through the menu to poke the card of choice out of the whole deck?

liftshard said:

OK, so how does Chris Angel do the same trick on a moving bus, leaving the card on the outside of the windshield going 65mph???

I want to know how David Blaine did the ice block trick and standing on the tower trick. Where those two simply mind over matter? :confused:

I have only heard of chris angel and seen picks of him, how is his show. He looks pretty cool, like a goth superstar! I wish my abs looked like his :frown: ...
Damn I am getting old!

SNDSOUL said:
OK, so how does Chris Angel do the same trick on a moving bus, leaving the card on the outside of the windshield going 65mph???
How about the steak knife through the menu to poke the card of choice out of the whole deck?

Let us start by ruling out that they have magical powers enabling them to perform feats which defy the laws of physics.

Angel can go through glass because there is a hole in it. End of story. He cannot walk through solid glass. He cannot heat the glass to melt it and form a hole and then remelt it to close the hole because he doesn't have the necessary torches. So, the only possible way he can go through the space is if there is already a HOLE there. By what means he substitutes formerly solid glass for glass that has a hole in it sufficient for him to walk through is immaterial. It's WHAT he does. There is no other option.

As for poking a knife into a deck, once again, if the magician knows which card you have chosen, and there are a variety of ways by which this can be accomplished, he has virtually unlimited leeway over how to perform the rest of the trick. Blaine's slight of hand, for one, is good enough that he can substitute cards that you think you are holding in your hands. When he was much younger in his career, he did precisely this on live TV using Bob Dole as a subject.

Practice, practice, practice. Some of these pickpockets are good enough to swipe things off people's wrists without them noticing. So, it is WELL within the realm of the feasible for Blaine to pawn an entire deck of cards, to determine which card you have chosen, or to force you to choose a specific card. The card you chose cannot magically end up sewn into a suit or on the other side of a pane of glass or inside a safe. The cards, the deck, the knife, the menu, are always in the magician's possession and control during the trick.

The fact is,if he could REALLY walk through the glass why bother with the paper in front of it.As everyone knows the paper against the glass is used for a very good reason,to hide the fact that it is simply a trick.

Anyone see that trick where he constantly gets to date hot chicks and supermodels? Who cares about cards. :biggrin:

Back