• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Washing and waxing your NSX

Hi,
I'm a new owner and am enjoying the car immensely. When it comes time to wash the car, do folks recommend stuffing rags in the hood air extractors and side intercooler vents to minimize water from getting in? I'm sure water getting in there is not a problem, but just looking for best practices when cleaning the car. My car has the carbon roof and exterior package. Any problems with apply car wax to these areas like I would with the painted metal?

Thx, Tom

Hi,
I'm a new owner and am enjoying the car immensely. When it comes time to wash the car, do folks recommend stuffing rags in the hood air extractors and side intercooler vents to minimize water from getting in? I'm sure water getting in there is not a problem, but just looking for best practices when cleaning the car. My car has the carbon roof and exterior package. Any problems with apply car wax to these areas like I would with the painted metal?

Thx, Tom
Think the manual says limit direct water in the hood air vents, or something similar. I keep that in mind, but don’t do anything special. Just wash it.

Glad you’re enjoying the car.

I just carefully spray the car with a mist, and try to avoid dumping any large amounts down any of the vents...... Not hard to do. I follow that with a wipe down with a microfiber mitt and a bucket of warm water and mild car wash soap. I soak a section at a time, wash with mitt, rinse with a jet, again being careful not to fill the vents, and then wipe down with larger microfiber towels. I avoid washing in direct sunlight as that can leave water marks. After the exterior is washed and dried, I wipe the door jams and then open the hood and engine cover and wipe down any water left over. And BTW, water down any of the vents would not be a problem, but you might get some water spots that you can't reach.

I have not yet figured out what to do about waxing. After picking up my car from it's gas tank recall, the dealer did a nice detail job on the car. They must have wiped it down with something, as it shines and sparkles like crazy. I HAVE to find out what they used.

Back