• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

WATER in Spark plug recess

Without telling me the guys that replaced my timing belt broke one of the coil pack covers and glued it back together. They also malformed the gasket allowing water to enter the plug hole.:mad: Of course that destroyed the coil pack on that cylinder causing a miss. By the time the smoked cleared it cost me about 500:eek: to fix the problem. one new coil cover 225 one new coil pack 179 luckily The shop only charged me one hour labor and I know the tech spent a couple hours messing with it. The covers only have a gasket on one side acura says that is where the water is channeled off so that is all that's necessary. I don't drive my car in the rain so it had to happen when I washed it. From now on I plan to cover engine with plastic drop cloth before washing even though acura says with correct cover and gasket it shouldn't be a problem.
Has anyone else had this issue?

Tony

Looks like you need a better tech working on your car. I've never had that problem. I clean my engine bay twice a year and don't cover the engine. I cover the other electronics in there though and I don't use high pressure to rinse. I'd also make the tech pay for the mistake. Mine guarantees his work for 2 yrs, 24,000 miles. So he would have replaced the coil pack and gasket at his cost before I even got the car back.

Frankly, this is not that uncommon. See it on the rear bank, and it is mainly from excessive water during a wash, getting the hose near the rear vent;).

HTH,
LarryB

Back