• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

went by mazda today to see the RX-8

Yes, if you use divx codec, it should work fine. :)

I just finished watching those two videos (I'm at work!). Gosh, I don't know how to put it lightly... but the RX-8 is PATHETIC. Why did Mazda bother with a car like that??? At least meet or beat the Nissan 350Z/G35 Coupe.

Yeah.. one of the comments from the drivers was that the car just felt too slow in the straight, and seemed to have gearing problems. Very disappointing...

I've heard the upcoming Rx7 is going to be smaller and lighter (also only 2 doors, thus more rigid) than the Rx8, and feature a larger displacement 2 rotor.

Some TV program, not sure how reliable the source, was talking about 3 options Mazda had for extracting more power out of the Renesis. Adding another rotor, increasing the displacement of the existing 2 rotors, or turbocharging it.

He said that turbo's were out, and that adding another rotor would be an overall larger package than just increasing displacement, so the best option was probably a 1.6 or so Liter 2 rotor.

As with anything you read on the internet, take it with a grain of salt. I don't care whether you believe it or not, I'm just a messanger.

As for my opinion, it'll be interesting to see how the new side port responds to forced induction, rather than the 3rd gen's peripheral port. Hopefully there is a turbo solution without blowing apex seals every 30,000 miles and running 9 mpg like the old 3rd gens...

I went to a car event hosted by mazda called "Rev it Up" in Inglewood, CA not too long ago. I was invited by a friend who is a Mazda freak in every sense of the word. So I figured, sure. Why not. Might as well test drive a few Mazda's while he does his thing at the coned-track.

I saw a silver, red and black RX-8 on display. The silver one was roped off because it was modded up the ying-yang. The red and black were off to the side for people to get in and out of.

In short, I didn't like it--much.
The front end and the taillights were a knock-off from the S2000. No wonder the s2k guys are pissed. I went inside and my, plastic galore! It's so cramped in there too. The driver side is fine but everywhere else I sat, it was claustrophobic (sp?). The materials just felt cheap. And what's with the suicide doors (I think that's what they're called). It's a novel idea but could do without it.

Well, that's my first impression anyway. Who knows what it's like to drive it though.

Re: Re: went by mazda today to see the RX-8

nsxtasy said:
If someone is going to buy based on power - and ONLY on power (which many many many people do - look at all the comments about the NSX) - they're going to buy the 300 hp STi, not the 287 hp 350Z. In fact, the 350Z is last year's hot car, a car that nobody is talking about. At all.

Nissan built 30,232 coupes for 2003 which met their 30,000/yr goal. 4,000 roadsters are going to be made for 2004, all of which have been spoken for.

Why are you so anti-Z? Whenever the Z is mentioned, you always seem condescending towards the car. You seem anti-anything-non-Honda, but especially moreso w/ the Z.

Michael.

Michael,

That's pure, utter nonsense. In fact, if anyone is guilty of bias here, I think it's you. Read my post, again - but this time, take off your Z-biased blinders.

What happened was, Blue Knight mentioned a bunch of cars and identified them with different categories. I disputed some of his "nominations" and mentioned other candidates for those same categories. I said a few lines each of the cars - yet you come to dispute only what I said about the Z. I guess we can't mention any car on NSXprime without that car's owners attacking anything that is said, even when it's true. :rolleyes:

Sure, the Z may still be selling well. But it's not today's "hot car"; you don't find it on the cover of the big car magazines now the way you do the STi or the Evolution (or the RS6 or the E55 AMG or the other new, "hot cars of the month"). It was there last year, not now. It is "yesterday's hot car". Of course, you seem to ignore the whole point of my post, about what is a "hot car", in your zeal to fabricate some imaginary anti-Z crusade that never existed. In fact, if you read my post, you will realize that it implies there is nothing wrong with being a "hot car" or being "yesterday's hot car"; every car that is introduced with a splash goes through the same transition, including the NSX. The car is what it is, and doesn't change what it is whether it's in fashion or out of fashion. If it's a good car, it remains a good car, even when something newer and hotter comes along. The PT Cruiser is still a practical, eye-catching hauler for those who reject the minivan look, and the mini is still a great handling, nimble car.

As far as what the Z is, it is what it is; we've read about it, we've driven it, we know what it is, and we've driven other competing cars as well. The Z is a decent car and is fairly priced, although as a supposedly high-performance car it is a bit overweight and has performance numbers that are several notches below the similarly-priced and -powered STi and Evolution (which weigh about the same but at least they have AWD to help, which is why they are significantly quicker).

You claim that I am "anti" anything that is not Honda, yet you ignore favorable mention in my post about models from several other makes, including two models from Nissan/Infiniti as well as those from other manufacturers. Of course, in your Z-bias, you ignore those statements in order to make your ridiculous, untrue claims. :rolleyes:

Next time, read my post before you start making such wild claims.

Ken,

I understand this is an NSX board so everybody is entitled to be NSX-biased. That is to be expected. I understand that everybody has different tastes in cars. That is also to be expected. Some people come right out and say, "I don't like the 350" (on this board, the 350 board, whatever board) and I'm ok with that. Really.

However, it seems that you're intentionally singling out the 350 w/ your remarks. This is not the first post/reply from you where you state that the 350 is "last year's hot car." And you "say" it as though it is a condescending mark against the car.

I just doubt that it will be THE must-have car of the year, like the Mini and Z were last year.

If the 350 is not a must-have car that "nobody" is talking about, then production numbers would be far less the ones I provided, correct? In all honesty, the real test is to see production numbers in later years. If Nissan can still sell 30,000 (or even 15,000) 350z's 3 years from now, then I would say the 350 is a hot car.

From what I've read, _any_ favorable mention from you regarding the Nissan/Infiniti lineup is usually a neutral statement. Maybe I'm incorrect about the anti-anything-non-Honda comment, but you do seem to hold a grudge against Nissan.

Michael.

mdoan300 said:
However, it seems that you're intentionally singling out the 350 w/ your remarks.
Nonsense. Blue Knight mentioned the 350Z, not me. He identified it as the car to get for power. I disagreed with that characterization. That is not "singling out". If anyone "singled out" the 350Z for this discussion, it was Blue Knight.

mdoan300 said:
This is not the first post/reply from you where you state that the 350 is "last year's hot car." And you "say" it as though it is a condescending mark against the car.
Again, not true. Re-read my remarks above about "hot cars". Read them. Understand them. The whole concept is about which car is in vogue, which car is fashionable. I also said that the car itself doesn't change as it goes in and out of style. You seem to be ignoring that remark - did you not read my post? The car is, what it is. If it's good, it continues to be good. That's what I said - and I hardly consider that to be condescending. In fact, it's complimentary - I said that a good car will continue to be good regardless of whether it is the "car of the moment". That's hardly a "mark against the car", don't you think?

mdoan300 said:
If the 350 is not a must-have car that "nobody" is talking about, then production numbers would be far less the ones I provided, correct?
No, not correct at all. The Honda Pilot SUV was introduced the middle of last year, and it's been selling over 8,000 units per month ever since. But it's not the "hot car" (then or now) and I think it's fair to say that, within the context of "hot cars", no one is talking about it. But you are talking about sales, and I am talking about fashion and media attention. These are two different concepts.

mdoan300 said:
If Nissan can still sell 30,000 (or even 15,000) 350z's 3 years from now, then I would say the 350 is a hot car.
This is a matter of semantics, so it all depends on your definition. If you define a "hot car" as one that sells well, then the Honda Accord and the Toyota Camry are the hottest cars around. I am using that term to define the car that is getting all the media attention at a particular point in time. As I've repeatedly said, that doesn't mean that a car is any worse when it no longer is the "hot car"; it just means that it's getting less attention. That's my definition of a hot car, and how I am using the term. And according to that definition, the 350Z is not a "hot car" this year. Even though it may be selling well. (And I don't even know whether 30,000 cars a year is considered selling well; I'm sure it all depends on what you're comparing it with - competing cars, marketing's expectations, etc).

mdoan300 said:
From what I've read, _any_ favorable mention from you regarding the Nissan/Infiniti lineup is usually a neutral statement. Maybe I'm incorrect about the anti-anything-non-Honda comment, but you do seem to hold a grudge against Nissan.
And again, I think your charges are just flat-out wrong. But you seem to hold a grudge against what I say, anything I say, since you continue to dispute my posts without even taking into account what I've said. Sometimes you claim that something is condescending when it's clearly the opposite, and sometimes you claim that something is wrong when you're defining a term differently from how I have clearly defined it. If you had read my posts and thought about what I'm saying, you would realize that what you are claiming is simply not true.

Please note that I am not trying to flame you or Nissan; I just don't think you've been listening to what I'm saying.

Ken,

Although you clarified what "hot" is in your first reply to me, your original post indicated otherwise (and I explained why in my reply above). We can continue to argue about this, but I'm going to end it here because the topic will just go further off-topic. I've said what I wanted to say, and yes, I re-read and re-read your replies. I have had no problems understanding your posts/replies in other threads.

And again, I think your charges are just flat-out wrong. But you seem to hold a grudge against what I say, anything I say, since you continue to dispute my posts without even taking into account what I've said. Sometimes you claim that something is condescending when it's clearly the opposite, and sometimes you claim that something is wrong when you're defining a term differently from how I have clearly defined it. If you had read my posts and thought about what I'm saying, you would realize that what you are claiming is simply not true.

I did find your Murano-Morono and clown shoe-Viper "separated at birth" comments humourous. I also recognize that you have a great wealth of information on the NSX (and Honda products in general :)).

Besides, if I disagreed w/ everything you said, then you'd see more of my posts.

Michael.

I had a '95 RX7 and it was an awesome machine. With very little cost I was able to generate 290hp in a 2900 lb car. Dare I say (GASP) I liked it better than my NSX. In many cases, yes.

The new RX8 is a joke. I am sure its a decent car, but serves no purpose. It will only further increase the value of mint 3rd gen RX7's. I guess I should have hung on to mine!

>>With very little cost I was able to generate 290hp

Are you including the cost of replacing the engine every 60,000 miles? ALL my RX7 friends say this is a necessity.

The rotary engine is very reliable as long as its properly maintained. Unlike "regular" engines its not oil that rotaries care about, its coolant. you could run a rotary engine several laps on the track without a drop of oil, but get low on coolant and the engine is toast. Water Wetter was made for this car! Once the engine gets too hot, the apex seals corrode and its rebuild time. Mine had 13k on it when I sold it and was in perfect shape. The problem was there are not any qualified mechanics around (even in Chicago) to work on them. SO many horror stories of oil or coolant changes at the dealership only to break down on the way home. Mazda was very unforgiving too, not like Acura has been with the NSX.

Did I forget to mention that its necessary to add some 2 stroke oil to the gas for optimum performance?

osugrad97 said:
The rotary engine is very reliable as long as its properly maintained. Unlike "regular" engines its not oil that rotaries care about, its coolant. you could run a rotary engine several laps on the track without a drop of oil, but get low on coolant and the engine is toast.

With the Turbocharged 3rd gen rx7's, youd be LUCKY to push 100k miles out of a motor. Too much heat and too fragile is what it boils down to.

1) if your car is not properly tuned. BOOM! (blown apex)
2) car running too hot? 80kmiles and above? BOOM! (water seal)
3) car running too hot? 80kmiles and above? BOOM! (oil seal)

I owned an 340 rwhp rx7 FD for close to 5 years. Its a great car, but its got one too many issues.

so....i see more comments about the RX-8.....i guess i'm not the only one that sees the RX-8 as one item not too hot to sell....

i guess overall prices are dropping for others as well. my friend just got his STi for msrp in the bay area as well. i guess the econ is still hard on dealerships.

anyone get to testdrive an RX-8 yet? i never buy into dealers' comments about not being able to testdrive unless the car is not physically there. with 8 on the lot where i was at, one should've been a demo. was mazda afraid of disappointment after the testdrive??? bestmotoring was......

Back