• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What Color are my 1998 OEM Wheels???

I'm stumped, and need advice (my apologies if better use of the search function would get my answers):

The OEM wheels on my 1998 are painted what I would call a medium grey color (ie. are not simply polished or brushed metal). It seems to me to be a factory paint job. Questions:

1) Was this an option or something for that year (and perhaps other years) to get painted wheels - rather than unpainted? Or did a PO simply have this done by a paint shop somewhere?

2) If it's a factory paint job, anyone know the paint code - or the easiest way for me to try to get the paint code?

TIA for any help.

'94-'96 NSX: SOLARIS SILVER (gunmetal gray color: NH-536M)

'97-'01 NSX: BLADES SILVER (brushed aluminum w/ clear-coat)

'94-'96 SOLARIS SILVER vs. '99 Zanardi-edition WASHI-GREY:

3739Solaris-vs-Zanardi.jpg

Guys,
Thanks for the help. It turns out they are Solaris silver instead of Blade silver. That is a bit weird since the car is a 98 and blade silver was the stock color that year. The only thing I can guess is that the PO. whom I don't know, liked the darker color better and had them painted. Thanks again.

You better go back and make sure you have a six speed and red valve covers:wink::biggrin:

Be advised that a car could have re-conditioned wheels. While the wheel for your model year was originally a brushed finish, some refurbishing companies paint them in a color that is similar to the brushed finish to cover their repair work.

I have seen a number of NSX's in my shop that had entire sets of re-conditioned OEM wheels and the owners were unaware.

Where are you?

DocJohn,
Yes - the car definitely is a 98 :wink: And the wheels definitely are the right ones for a 98 - they just have the older Solaris silver color on them. It had me quite confused because the wheel paint looks totally factory. I would not have guessed someone had them repainted. The really wierd thing is: this is a very low mileage car. It had 11K miles on it when I bought it (that was verified as accurate), and the car has not been hit, repainted or anything. Actually I prefer the darker Solaris silver wheel color (I would call it grey) against the Fornula red body paint of the car. I halfway wonder if the Solaris color could have been special ordered on the wheels instead of the correct brushed finish or blade silver paint when the car was new.

It's possible the previous owner liked Solaris Silver as well and traded the Blades Silver ones that came on the car to someone w/ Solaris Silver wheels.

Back