• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What do you DISLIKE about your NSX's?

Originally posted by ChopsJazz:
My only dislike is trying to clean the lint off that engine hatch. What'd they make that out of, velcro?

So I'm not the only one who has this problem. Duct tape takes it off nicely but don't press too hard.

There's nothing I don't like, just things that would make me like it even more. Many have been already mentioned so I won't list them here.

------------------
Hal Jones
Lake Oswego, Oregon
95T Blk\Blk SportShift

Wow, lots of great info. As I suspected, no disqualifying offenses
smile.gif
. Thanks you guys!

That's not a complaint. There are TWO NSX's in my garage!!!

Come on Doc, share the wealth!

On the topic of the stereo system, hell, the whole center section where the stereo/climate controls etc. are...
Does this look dated to anyone else? I have only seen Edo's 91 in person up close. Do the newer models still have the orangish-red LED? IMO the orange is really ugly and out of date.

Once again, thanks for all the input.

Honda's notorious rattling windows...

Sounds like your car needs an adjustment. I've had my NSX for ten years and I've never had any rattles. In fact, the doors and windows shut tight like a bank vault.

I can't believe that no-one's mentioned the sodding boot lid ( trunk lid to you colonial chappies ) - the struts never hold the damn thing in place and it falls on top of my head every time :).

I know they are replaceable, but, come on !!

And the way you have to push dead centre of the boot lid / engine cover lid to click them closed.... and the fact I have to drive for miles around south London to get it serviced.....

Then again, I can't fault the car's poise, handling, pose value and performance.

K20 NSX 1993 5sp manual

I can't believe that no-one's mentioned the sodding boot lid ( trunk lid to you colonial chappies ) - the struts never hold the damn thing in place and it falls on top of my head every time :).

Come on yourself! This is a part that wears out in roughly six years. You're overdue. Spend the hundred quid and get them replaced, and you'll find that the trunk lid stays up nicely all by itself.

If this is the worst thing we can say about the car...
smile.gif

I forgot to mention the mileage factor. I put too many damn miles on my car because I love driving it.

I kinda like the orange lit dash. Makes it look different and its not as bright as the blue ones that every other car has. However, some of the gauges on the new cars (i.e.Lexus IS300) look sweet. But, hey sometimes simple and clean is better.

Originally posted by nsxtasy:

I am on set number 3 of these little struts, and I don't know why they don't last?

Come on yourself! This is a part that wears out in roughly six years. You're overdue. Spend the hundred quid and get them replaced, and you'll find that the trunk lid stays up nicely all by itself.

If this is the worst thing we can say about the car...
smile.gif

Forgot to mention that the NSX has the worst headlights (performance-wise, meaning visibility) of any car I've owned since I became a "grown up".

But then again this is a detail, although I'd like to find an economical fix for it.

Just needs more torque. And a few more ponies, but other than that, it's a great car. You can see pictures of my two NSXs here: http://www.nsxsc.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/000001.html

The NSX is an exotic car, so the little things that are weird is what makes it so cool! Just my 2 cents...

------------------
For more NSX content in your life, please visit www.nsxsc.com and the new NSXSC forums at www.nsxsc.com/bios

Doc Lane,

Its okay. I am only 24 yrs old and so far managed to get one NSX. God willing I will give that one to my girlfriend (future wife) and get another one (hopefully a '97+ coupe). As for complaints: I'm sorry, don't have any. Yes lint there, rattling this, boring old design of this. But be honest guys. Driving you car is an intoxicating experience; the NSX is a well rounded most Efficient, Best handling, Beautiful sports car. And none of you would EVER say otherwise. So as for the one who posted this original topic. Stop wasting time looking for the minor quirks of the car. And focus on getting one. There will be no regrets.

Blade '91 blk/blk

Originally posted by maomaonsx:
It's a money pit!

Well, it is not often that I disagree with you folks, especially when you actually do own one of these... but I just don't see this as being right. Let's compare:

I have a 2000 NSX-T that I have 6,300 miles on after almost 1 year now. In that time I have only had to replace the rear tires at a modest cost of only a few hudred dollars.

Compare that to my 1975 Porsche 911S that costs me $750 ever time I even call to make an appointment with the mechanic. I have had my Porsche 911S for almost a year too and I have spent over $3,000 in service.

I think that as services and overall maintenace costs go, the NSX is the best deal going. Think about the poor slob who is a Ferrari owner. Come of those 15,000 and 30,000 mile services cost over $5,000 - $15,000! Yikes!

I can find a lot to complain about in the NSX if I try and I might even buy something else here soon, like a 1998 Porsche (993) C4S, but I try to think about the good things on the NSX... like it doesn't cost $143,000 like the 2002 NSX will.
wink.gif

------------------
Gordon G. Miller, III
2000 NSX-T #51 Yellow/Black

But G-man, this was the "dislike" thread. Want to start a "likes" thread?
smile.gif

And I for one noticed your absence in this forum, thought you'd gone to Ferrari-land. Glad to hear you still own your beautiful yellow NSX.

P.s.: but lets not start spreading exaggerated rumours about P-car maintenance...

[This message has been edited by rquintero (edited 03 February 2001).]

So as for the one who posted this original topic. Stop wasting time looking for the minor quirks of the car. And focus on getting one. There will be no regrets.

Hey, lets not get personal here. If you feel that trying to get both sides of the information on something before spending $30,000+ is wasting my time, that is your opinion. I am just trying to make an educated decision. I have in fact driven an NSX on a few occasions and I LOVED it, however, there have been many things that I have bought in the past (not necessarily cars) and after owning them for awhile I found many things that bugged the HELL out of me, destroying the experience of something I thought I would like.
After hearing these responses however, I feel much better about shelling out the dough. If these are the worst things you can come up with after 10+ years of ownership, it appears that my gut feeling was right. The NSX is a very attainable and resonable dream car to own and to drive. I'd like to thank you all for your responses, you've been very helpful.
-Dave-

------------------
Weenie '95 V6 Mustang
Dreams of Future NSX

So as for the one who posted this original topic. Stop wasting time looking for the minor quirks of the car. [/QUOTE]

I think his question is excellent. If I had more carefully considered the downside of some of my previous cars instead of only the highlights, I would have made some much better purchase decisions.

Cupholder? Oh yeah. I tried putting a cup in there once...and almost ended up with Coke all over my lap after taking a corner a bit too fast.

Here's another annoyance: After washing the car, I find myself constantly drying a stream of water dripping from the mirrors. I must do this a dozen or more times before it finally stops.

Of course, I'm only adding things to keep this amusing thread going. How could anyone truly dislike anything about the NSX?

[This message has been edited by akira3d (edited 04 February 2001).]

This is not my gripe list, just possible solutions to a couple ones others have mentioned:

Re: cupholders - The stock ones are a joke. Spend a few bucks on the Dali Racing one that mounts over the brake handle if you want a good cupholder.

Re: dripping from the mirrors after washing - fold the mirrors back when you do your final rinse.. this lets more water drain out.

Re: Wishing TCS defaulted to "off" - Get a SmartTCS from Dali Racing. It keeps TCS set to the last mode you selected.

Re: Dash / center console light dimming when you turn on the headlights - this is by design. Almost any car I can think of does this. You can adjust how much the dash lights dim with the knob to the left of the gauge cluster, but you can't do much about the center console lights unless you get in there and start messing with your wiring.

Re: poor headlight performance - I always thought the NSX headlights did an above-average job of illumination. Granted not if you compare them to a nice HID setup, but better than most. Maybe double-check your headlight alignment at an inspection station..?

Jester and David,

I was not getting personal. I was not judging you for asking the question. But if after all the replies you have recieved you are still asking yourself "should I get an NSX and what are the downsides" then by all means take your time and make your decision. Personally my decision was made through research and comparison with other cars of equal value. My passion was for the car. I was merely giving the NSX priase, not insulting you.

Understand.

Blade '91 blk/blk

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
I like EVERYTHING about it.

come on, comments like that cause questions of objectivity.... However, I guess it would be a valid statement FOR YOU if you have NEVER modified your car in any way, including changing brakepads to anything other than OEM, etc.

[This message has been edited by justin hall (edited 05 February 2001).]

Back