• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What do you guys think about the Carbon fiber dash trim?

JIMSBLACK92 said:
Here's jpeg of my car just after I bought it 3 years ago, and another one 2 mos later. I don't know how old the CF decals were , but they were bubbled, peeling & faded looking.

Jim,
What'd you use to refinish it? are you happy with the end result? Looks like a nice paint job! Looks more glossy than oem but I think the oem finish would be hard to replicate.

MLmotorsport said:
Jim,
What'd you use to refinish it? are you happy with the end result? Looks like a nice paint job! Looks more glossy than oem but I think the oem finish would be hard to replicate.

Don't try to do it yourself. It is much easier to take the parts out yourself and then give them to a body shop to be painted for you. It would only cost about $50 and it would be bulletproof with clear coat and all. You could paint it any color you want and it could have the look of the exterior paint if you like.

IMHO carbon fiber is cool for what it is - light and strong - and not for what it looks like - a B&W closeup of a tweed sport jacket. :rolleyes:

Russ said:
IMHO carbon fiber is cool for what it is - light and strong - and not for what it looks like - a B&W closeup of a tweed sport jacket. :rolleyes:

Right you are, Ken :biggrin:

I remember the CF in interior of my old audi (4 Audi's ago S6). It was cool and interesting since I hate wood and like different. I like the look of the Fiber BUT I hate anything that isn't 100% real. IMO stickers are a "Band Aid" solution (pun intended) If you are going to do it, and like the look, replace the steel with CF, don't cover it with stickers, you will reget it one day when it peels, or you scratch it.

Personally, I considered CF vs stock, but after I spent some time sitting in the car I realized its cool for what it is, which is something I wouldn't change.

Talk to me about those chrome rings for the instruments thought! :grin:

MLmotorsport said:
Jim,

I had a company that specializes in Plastic restoration and finishing do the work on my parts. They used PPG along with clear coat. I purposly chose a 'semi-gloss finish which is evident in the pic.
I am very pleased with the result and would not consider going back to the C.F. look.
Many people have done their own restoration/paint work on these parts and have achieved very good tastfull results with patience and good prep work.
Have fun
Jim

OQQO and NSXBOX have done CF modifications to their consoles, and I must say it's done very tastefully. NSXBOX's console looks awesome. However, as with all things, LESS IS MORE... too much CF can make it look ricey.

One potential problem with a CF console is dust & fingerprints; they show up more clearly on CF and looks messy.

AutoVation said:
Downforce does produce a real carbon fiber center console piece. I'm sure they can produce the other pieces at affordable prices.

They do?? Do you have any pics of it or prices??

Center Console...

Meeyatch1 said:
... prices??

www.Downforce.biz produces a paintable center console for the NSX in fiberglass for $125. I'm sure for more $$$, a carbon-glass or CF version can be made.

Radio Console Fiberglass
SKU# 78004
This Fiberglass console is perfect for installing aftermarket radios,
a cheap solution to keep your factory console from being cut apart,
and allows you to revert to factory setup.
Price - $250
You Save 50%
Sale - $125

IMHO

The overlays is extremely cheesy, most people I know with these ended up regreting and you can not undo it if you don't like it.

On the other hand the true replacement pieces/non overlays, looks awesome and you can always undo it if you wish.

I personally would never ever consider purchasing a car with carbon fiber overlays.

NsXMas said:
I just became aware that a couple of the negative bashers don't even OWN an NSX. That's really sad. To comment on something you don't even own, and not even going to NSXPO.

It's really easy to be sitting behind a keyboard, posting all kinds of opinions without any kind of thought.

This forum has been great with lots of NSX enthusiasts. It's really gratifying to see people help each other. It's really disappointing to see a simple thread about a dash trim turn so ugly. :mad: :mad:

I have an NSX....i think the carbon fiber is hideous. Chill a bit...with due respect, I think you're the one turning the thread ugly.

I have it and I like it personally.......I think it varies on how much and where you decide to use it........When I bought my car it came with the carbon fiber trim in the car and it grew on me.....so I ended up doing the dash as well........but to each their own.......I think the nsx looks good with it or without it ..........so whoever that owns an nsx that doesn't like then don't put it on......to the others who do like it, don't worry about what other people think..I use to worry about what other people were going to think about what I put on my car....it is your car and you have to like it since you will be driving it....just my 2 cents...... :cool:

Personally, I like it. I have the SOS dash kit, the SOS Type-R shift boot, CF racing pedals and the SOS speedometer bevel kit. I haven't done anothe on the exterior with CF. For me, I think that would be a bit much. I want to fight the urge to go overboard and have my NSX looking like an Integra. Not htat I have anything against Integras.

Kerwin

kouasupra said:
What do you guys think about the Carbon fiber dash trim? Opinions and thoughts?

The carbon dash trim is ugly and looks cheap to me. But an all carbon dash full replacement with weight savings, would be very nice.

I would take real CF pieces, which look different and considerably more understated than this overlay or even decal junk. The cheap stuff is meant to shout "CF" to onlookers whereas real CF, for example, in high-end 911s and whatnot, looks fine. Sort of high-tech. I'd actually prefer wood. I like the whole Aston interior look, personally.

While the interior of the NSX does not look particularly "upscale" in any way, it's comparable to most of the Ferraris out there and even Maseratis that you see. A lot of them ALSO have the rollover odometer and other early 90s touches including not automatic climate control. I'd like to have some of the otherwise cheapie plastic interior in the NSX replaced with some nice stuff, but "nice" does not equal "fake CF." Wood, real CF, or even some kind of metal would be cool.

Back