• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What do you tell punk-ass street racer kids?

I was driving my NSX home from work late last night and this Saleen or Cobra Mustang
starts revving his car and driving irratically around my car... we then stop at the stoplight on the front row... you know what they are thinking, but I have a strict no street drag policy... what do you tell these kids? He could tell that I had my racing gear in the car, so I told him I only drive fast on the racetrack... What do you guys do? I don't think NSXs should be street racing at all...

Rev your engine a few times, give him the thumbs up, then grab your steering wheel tightly. When the light turns green just sit there and watch him make a fool of himself (hopefully in front the SFPD.) Then casually release the clutch and drive like a normal human being.
smile.gif

------------------
Tim Meekins
1997 Yellow NSX-T
http://tmeekins.com

Originally posted by tmeekins:
Rev your engine a few times, give him the thumbs up, then grab your steering wheel tightly. When the light turns green just sit there and watch him make a fool of himself (hopefully in front the SFPD.) Then casually release the clutch and drive like a normal human being.
smile.gif

Hahaha! yeah, I've done that a couple times... I almost seen a Camaro crash after I did this.

I have experienced similar incidents, one almost identical to yours.

Two young punks in a cobra mustang were next to me at the light, revving their engines,and looking over at me. I simply looked over at them and then started picking my nose (just kidding!)
biggrin.gif

Actually, all I did was ignore them, and looked the other way. When the light turned green, they waited to see my move. I then simply drove off normally, and they did the same. After that, they left me alone.

I think the best policy is to simply ignore them and not make any eye contact. If you take the bait and give into their challenges, then you are actually lowering yourself to their juvenile levels of behavior.

Worse yet, to give into their challenge is to concede that their car was worthy, and that somehow their car was in the same class and on par with the NSX. We all know that is by far not the case, so why disrespect yourself and the NSX that way?

Besides, at the end of the day, they *WISH* they were sitting where you are!!!
wink.gif

About 4 years ago, I was in a similiar situation, white mustang GT, older body style.

Typical street race attitudes, revving the engines, continual head nods, minor car leaps forward to catch my attention etc etc... well I knew the area I was in extremely well and was pretty aware of my surroundings (ie: no cars behind us).

I slowly put my car in reverse, the light turned green and I punched off going backwards...

Needless to say, after me and my passenger stopped laughing ... and drove forward, they caught us at a light further up .. and said that what I did was pretty funny .. and left us alone. Later that night we ended up running into them again at a resturaunt, and we got to inspect each others cars more closely, and had a rational conversation about performance...

Now I don't suggest doing this, but damn I'll never forget that time... truely a classic FU to the street racers...

-B

80000RPM... lol, I actually do that! I put my finger in my nose then I stare at them.
I know its gross, but its funny... I think I'm gonna have to try the reverse thing for kicks too.
Hahaha, you guys have great ideas.

This happened years ago - back in '96 I think when I had just gotten my TT Supra - I was running ~400rwhp at the time with the mods, so I was pretty quick. It was around 12:30am at bel red and 148th in bellevue, I was making a left turn (heading east to Eastgate). A modified 5.0 Mustang was right on my tail and pulled up next to me and revved his engine as soon as I turned on to 148th.

Well this was my first drag, the roads were clear, and I felt like having some fun, so off I went.

The guy never had a chance - before I knew it, his lights were WAY behind me... followed by some flashing lights... He was going 110 in a 35 zone. (I won't tell you how fast I was going, but I'm not like that anymore hehe)

The driver was obviously taken to Jail, and from then on, I never really partook in drag racing. Besides it's bad on your clutch.
smile.gif

So the moral of the story - it's not worth dragging on the street - even if you win, you'll probably lose in some fashion the next time. Jail isn't worth it. I just got lucky.

------------------
David Allen
'00 Silverstone NSX-T
Comptech SC, Headers, Intake, Exhaust & a little Mark Basch tweakage

I too am constantly harassed about street racing my car. The other day somebody told me I could have a 4-cylinder motor in my car since I don't drive it like a maniac. I took that as a compliment. I don't allow myself to get suckered into the street racing scene by some jerks in a Mustang or tricked out Civic. It ain't worth.

------------------
ALL NSX
92 RED/BLACK 5-SPEED

Originally posted by tmeekins:
smile.gif

Looks like someone beat me to it. Yeah that's what I'd do.
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Zanardi 50 (edited 28 June 2002).]

Originally posted by David Allen:

So the moral of the story - it's not worth dragging on the street - even if you win, you'll probably lose in some fashion the next time.

Like property damage, possible bodily injuries or even death to you, your passengers, the instigators and his/her passengers, innocent bystanders/commuters, etc. for example. Bottom line: Just don't drag race on city streets.

[This message has been edited by Zanardi 50 (edited 28 June 2002).]

Somebody posted on the NSX List that what they do is talk to them and somehow make them "sympathize (sp)" with you. For instance, you can tell them "Hey, sorry man, I'd race you but if I get caught again I'd lose my license."

or

"I just got a ticket for street racing/exhibition of speed last night and I don't wanna get one again."

I thought these suggestions made weren't great, but it doesn't make us look like we are scared, snobbish, etc.

Either way, ANYTHING is better than street racing. I like this thread.

I had two instances where I was "challenged." Once I drove my car by a big import car hangout (unbeknownst to me) and by the time I got to the end of the block, I had two Supras on my tail. One pulled beside me revving his motor profusely. He said he wanted to race. I told him I only race at the racetrack. The light turns green and I pull off normally. Both Supras follow me at 35mph through a business part and get beside me revving their engines enticing me to take off with them. They kept doing this for a few block and kept my steady 35mph. They finally gave up and took off.

The second instance was quite interesting. Cruising on the freeway in my NSX at 70 and see a 2nd & 3rd gen Mazda RX-7s coming up behind me. Now, these guys were working together to get me to race. One would get in front of me and start slowing hoping I'd change lanes. When I do the other RX-7 would be beside me ready to blow me away. I made the lane change and kept my speed the same. The other RX-7 that wanted to race me now gets in front of me slowing so I'd change lanes and try with the other. Needless to say, each one tried this tactic twice and gave up. They just took off.

Taking off in reverse (if it's safe to do so) is way cool. I like that!

Vytas

Originally posted by POWERED by HONDA:
Somebody posted on the NSX List that what they do is talk to them and somehow make them "sympathize (sp)" with you. For instance, you can tell them "Hey, sorry man, I'd race you but if I get caught again I'd lose my license."

or

"I just got a ticket for street racing/exhibition of speed last night and I don't wanna get one again."

How about, "Ever since my cousin died in a street racing crash, I don't do it any more." It happens. And they need to realize it.

I don't agree with street racing, however I must comment on the article you linked to.

Anyone notice the vehicles being driven?

BMW SUV - Deceased Passenger/Driver
Honda S2000 - Minor injuries.

Kind of odd don'tcha think? You'd think the tiny S2000 would have the deceased individuals, as opposed to the big, boxlike SUV.

Either way, its a sad story....

-B

Originally posted by BoneZ:
Kind of odd don'tcha think? You'd think the tiny S2000 would have the deceased individuals, as opposed to the big, boxlike SUV.

Individual accidents can happen in unique ways, and media articles rarely describe the chain of events resulting in deaths and injuries. However, given that it mentions occupants of the SUV being thrown from the vehicle, in this case the determining factor could have been as simple as which individuals were wearing their seat belts. Just like in this accident.

I have to confess. I do have a few friends that I hang out with that are heavily into the street racing scene. I do go out with them and watch them do it. Let me stress the word WATCH them. I don't participate in it and that drives them absolutely crazy. Why do you own a car like that if you aren't going to race it. I can't tell you how many times I've been asked that. 'Let's go to the track and I'll show you what is up' is my response to them.
To their credit though I will say we find dead end streets off the beaten path to do this activity. They race away from the crowd. We keep a couple of cars at the finish line well off the road with 2-way radios letting us know if there are any cars racing toward us. If there isn't then we let they ones that have raced go back to the crowd where the starting line is. The police know that we are there and normally don't say a lot to us. Since we do it late at night and away from the public. When they do come it is only to tell us that we need to wrap it up for the night.
I'm not saying that the police condon what we do but to say that they are aware of it.
There are of course a few jerks in the crowd of people but for the most part everyone it just there to have a good time and talk cars.

------------------
ALL NSX
92 RED/BLACK 5-SPEED

The 2002 X5 4.6is horsepower is around 340@5,700 rpm with the 0-60 at about 6.2 seconds. Not bad for big SAV, Sport Actvity Vehical
biggrin.gif

It requires a little facial acting but I always just give them a look that says "why would I want to race that thing?" A little eye roll. I usually accompany it with a little flicking motion with my hand as if to say, "you're not worth my time". Yes, this is snobbish but it really pisses them off and they usually just take off beating the shit out of their car, ripping it out sideways and this amuses me because I'm a little touched in the head so......

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
How about, "Ever since my cousin died in a street racing crash, I don't do it any more." It happens. And they need to realize it.

Hey, I posted that.
smile.gif

I haven't really been pushed (like experiences shared here) to street race while driving my NSX, if it ever does come down to me talking to them, I will tell them a true story:

"I don't street race. My best friend died in one, and he wasn't the one racing."

From my experiences so far, I get challenged more (and harder) while driving my daily driver than I do when I'm driving the NSX.

You mean to tell me NO one here has ever put the hammer down on someone else? I seem to recall several "kill" threads. The NSX is not a good Drag/Street racing car anyway. I don't make a habit of this, but I have done it. Vetts, BMW's and the like, but no Riceboy type cars. I will never give them the satisfaction.

While I love the feeling and excitement of racing, no one ever wants to race me when I take my NSX out for a drive. They're too busy trying to figure out what this low, blacked out, race looking car is because they've never seen it before.

However, when I take out my lowered accord they want to race!

I do not promote street racing though, so keep the streets safe
smile.gif

------------------
Richard
NSXTASY

Back