• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

what do you think about this crazy idea?

ok, I have hard time to find a manual transmission NSX

a friend of mine suggested me to buy an automatic transmission NSX first
and then I can spend US$7000 (including installation) to buy a broken NSX junk car...(crashed and totalled from major collision but not damage in mechanical parts)

he told me every Japanese car's body is designed for both manual/automatic usage, and left/right hand design.
so the only thing the shop needs to do is to open up the hole for the cutch
and then convert all engines/transmission to manual

(from their words) according to the registration note in Hong Kong's department of transportation, they only register the engine performance of the vehicle, not the transmission specification.
so I can basically change to manual without notify the department of transportation.

additional notes;
I can buy a 1991 model NSX, and then install a 2000 model NSX engine/transmission into the car...
(I wonder if the department of transportation will find out....I think the performance is very different)

other suggestion;
I can always switch back and forth between the automatic /manual transmission and engine for the annually inspection by the government.
(to fool the legal system)

I am thinking, since this may be illegal, why not to buy a Japan GT cup NSX engine /transmission instead...
then I can have a NSX GT Cup version that's built from Mugen team HONDA.....and there is no way any other NSX in HK can be faster than mine, even they are highly modified aftermarket...because mine will be GT Cup spec directly from Honda racing team

anyone do similar "crazy" things to their NSX??

chinaboy said:
I can always switch back and forth between the automatic /manual transmission and engine for the annually inspection by the government.
(to fool the legal system)

Wouldn't this drive you crazy? I'd expect this to be a lot of work and money in the long term. I like the GT Cup version idea ;)

Think about all the differences - especially if going from OBD1 to OBD2 as well: not just the transmission alone but all the ancillaries. It is really impractical to switch back & forwards.
Here are some of the things to think about:
Engine/Transmission & clutch/flywheel; pedal box & clutch hydraulics (reservoir, master & slave cylinders & lines etc); transmission linkage & lever, gear lever boot assembly and shift knob; ECM; TCS module; instrument panel; cable harnesses; Then you have to deal with the Throttle control if changing from cable to wire; I'm sure there's more but hopefully you're already getting the picture.
In other words - it's a big job once, let alone doing/undoing! Yes, it's a crazy idea!
nut.gif

Oh .... & a wrecked car for $7K??? (which per your post includes the labour to do the conversion?) - I think not! & just how much do you think a JGTC racing motor/transmission/clutch assembly would be?

Converted mine to manual, i have 2 spare engines & trannys i'm trying different builds on. Look for some completed pics & dynos this summer. Custom parts are a pain in the a**. Always a waiting period :-(

-Ray

US$ 7k for a junk NSX, if this is avaliable in HK. I would buy it right now. Just the parts is more than the value of the car.
As to instal a manuel tranny into an auto car, the $$ is just going to be too much. it is not just dropping a unit in and out, the '91/'00 are two really different model in all depts..I wonder if anyone in HK truly has that capability. it is not a simple mechanical job, alot of electronics as well. Having owned mine for many years, i don't think i came across a true Acura/Honda trained technican. also most have no idea of latest factory updates. that is why other than the price of NSX, some owners are totally pissed off with servicing their X. While Porsche/Ferraris distributors are serious about taking care of their owners. DCH here is into doing volume cars. even at that they are pretty bad. I would take my time for that manuel car. Importing direct from Japan is also a nite-mare, let alone the 100% import duties etc, passing emissions etc.

D'Ecosse said:
Think about all the differences - especially if going from OBD1 to OBD2 as well: not just the transmission alone but all the ancillaries. It is really impractical to switch back & forwards.
Here are some of the things to think about:
Engine/Transmission & clutch/flywheel; pedal box & clutch hydraulics (reservoir, master & slave cylinders & lines etc); transmission linkage & lever, gear lever boot assembly and shift knob; ECM; TCS module; instrument panel; cable harnesses; Then you have to deal with the Throttle control if changing from cable to wire; I'm sure there's more but hopefully you're already getting the picture.
In other words - it's a big job once, let alone doing/undoing! Yes, it's a crazy idea!
nut.gif

Oh .... & a wrecked car for $7K??? (which per your post includes the labour to do the conversion?) - I think not! & just how much do you think a JGTC racing motor/transmission/clutch assembly would be?

ya its not that easy as just getting a tranny. everything he mentioned and it is alot of work. i did it to my integra and that sucked. there are so many little parts you need.

there is a 92 manuel NSX on today Appledaily, auto section on the net for HK$n 238k. 30k miles and ZERO owner. should call and test drive.
so don't say there are none here. also from the pixs, conditions is ok.
good luck!!

pacacu said:
there is a 92 manuel NSX on today Appledaily, auto section on the net for HK$n 238k. 30k miles and ZERO owner. should call and test drive.
so don't say there are none here. also from the pixs, conditions is ok.
good luck!!

That sound like a good buy, i paid more for mine NSX last year. The conditions are similar...... Good luck Chinaboy

chinaboy, any reason not importing a used nsx at Japanese aution place??

Like i mentioned before my buddy who specialized importing JDM cars into US had the source getting cars from Japan... In fact we just looked at the site couple days before and there were at least 10 nsxes on there, including one NA1 R and NA2R, yummy platinum white pearl 94 or newer... red, blk, silver NA1 etc... Mind you I'm from HK, and that Buddy of mine is also HK "man", some cars he's importing to US were from HK (instead of Japan) too; please let me know if you want me to ask his connection (in HK) to get you hook up.

Anyway, don't go through that auto to manual transformation unless it's absolutely needed!!

Back