• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What do you think about this?

A Porsche 996 guy told me that;

"My best friend has an '00 NSX and a Ferrari 360. I've driven those cars and my car nearly back-to-back, and the NSX can't really compete. It understeers heavily, its limits are nowhere near the Porsche's, and it doesn't have the power that the 911 does. The steering is very light, and doesn't communicate well at all, but the transmission is one of the best.
However, I have an '02 996, which has a bit more grip (bigger tires) and power. After driving both cars back-to-back many times, I've found that the NSX doesn't feel like it's in the same league as the Ferrari and Porsche. My friend has come to the same conclusion. He hasn't driven the NSX in weeks".

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Thoughts?

I've never driven a Ferrari 360....however...

I think your friend's friend is probably correct. I think the 360 is a notch above the NSX.

The 360 costs $150K - close to twice as much as the NSX. It also has 400 HP. I'm not sure what the point is here?

As far as the Porsche goes...well I think the match-up is much closer here. Considering that the NSX is an 11 year old model, I think the NSX acquits itself fairly well against the Porsche. I will say this...I do think the current NSX is overpriced in comparison with the Porsche.

Which means it's either time for Honda to redesign the car....or to lower the price of the current model to the $55K-$65K range.

-Jim

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
Looking for 76-79 Honda Accords

Hogwash.

I've driven the normally-aspirated 996 (also the 993).

Claiming that the NSX understeers and has lower limits is like comparing the NSX to the Viper and saying that the Viper is underpowered. IOW - handling and cornering are areas where there is no comparison between the NSX and the 996, because the NSX is far superior.

The biggest mistake made by those coming from other cars when they jump in the NSX is that they shift too soon (well before redline). So much of the NSX's power and acceleration happens at the upper end of the revband, because it doesn't need to upshift the way other cars do. I would bet money that he didn't shift at redline. Had he done so, he would have found that the NSX accelerates just about as fast as the 996 (close if not equal), assuming that it's not a turbo version.

Funny that he didn't mention the one area where the 996 really is superior: the brakes.

If you know much about cars, you ought to be able to point out areas where each car is superior. If you point out the wrong areas, you don't know much about cars. And it sounds to me like your friend doesn't know much about cars.

$.02

That's what I thought.. I can't believe that he didn't think NSX was in the same league as Porsche 996.
Thanks for confirming this.

Originally posted by Jimbo:
Thoughts?

The 360 costs $150K - close to twice as much as the NSX. It also has 400 HP. I'm not sure what the point is here?

-Jim
I agree - what is the point?
I think the McLaren F1 Road Car is better than the NSX & the Ferrari combined
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

------------------
'91 Black/Black

Oh..., sorry guys. The point was that the guy didn't think that NSX was in the same league as Porsche
mad.gif
???
When I test drove Porsche, it didn't really impress me like NSX did..

That's all..

Tiger,

I didn't mean "what was your point", I meant what was your friend's point in comparing the NSX to the 360.

As I said, the 996 is a much more fair comparison and as we've seen several people think the NSX is the better car.

-Jim

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
Looking for 76-79 Honda Accords

Originally posted by ak:
Porsche 996 costs whole a lot more than NSX.

Not all of them. I believe the 996 model designation refers to the entire line of the current generation 911. It starts with the normally-aspirated Carrera Coupe, which has an MSRP of $68,665 (obviously less than the NSX), goes through several other n/a models with lower MSRP than the NSX, and includes the turbo for $115,765 and the GT2 for $180,665
eek.gif
(obviously higher than the NSX).

I've driven my friend's naturally aspirated 911, it's got better brakes but the rest of the driving experience is inferior. You need to compare apples to apples, I'll pit my '92
against any '92 NA 911.

I work with a guy who has a 2002 Porsche...when I first bought the NSX he just went on and on about how much faster his "new" Porsche was. Well after a couple weeks..(and after comptech headers, by-pass pipes, new tires, kn intake) we had a showdown, from 0-70 was dead even...then he started to pull on me after I dumped into 3rd....but all in all I was very happy with my 10 year old car. All he says now was he wished he had bought one of these back in the early '90's cause it would kill any 911 before the 2002 911 (except turbo of course). This is why I want the NOS and I will tell him I want a re-match 'cause I bought a new "chip"...then lets see what happens

Don't even get into it with him Tiger740. It sounds to me like your friend has a bias and an axe to grind. You will find that the NSX inspires an incredbile level of resentment in some people.

Ask your friend who HIS friend is with the 360 and NSX. Tell him you want to talk to the guy that actually owns both cars and that you think he is full of ...

Push him on the subject of Japanese cars as well. I wouldn't be surprised if you end up hearing "no jap POS is worth $80k". This is typical...

I'll be buying a 996 for one of my customer's tomorrow in Los Angeles and probably drive it back to No. CA. I'll let you guys know what I think as I haven't actually driven a 996 for any long distance yet.

Well..., spookyp, you are absolutely, right!

Here is what he said or wrote at the end.

"As I said, I am not an NSX fan (no history, no legend, no soul)."

No history, no legend, no soul???

No soul?? I thought that NSX was all about soul!! And that's what I love about NSX.

"Soul" is often defined by those driving European cars based on their faults and design flaws, and "legend" based on all the stories owners accumulate of adventures experienced during mechanical breakdowns in out-of-the-way places.
biggrin.gif

Fortunately for everyone, the high-end European sports cars are now being designed better, for better reliability - and much of the credit for this goes to the NSX.

Precisely!

So funny..
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
"Soul" is often defined by those driving European cars based on their faults and design flaws, and "legend" based on all the stories owners accumulate of adventures experienced during mechanical breakdowns in out-of-the-way places.
biggrin.gif

Fortunately for everyone, the high-end European sports cars are now being designed better, for better reliability - and much of the credit for this goes to the NSX.

biggrin.gif
That's pretty funny, Ken!

Originally posted by Tiger740:
Well..., spookyp, you are absolutely, right!

Here is what he said or wrote at the end.

"As I said, I am not an NSX fan (no history, no legend, no soul)."

No history, no legend, no soul???

No soul?? I thought that NSX was all about soul!! And that's what I love about NSX.

No History??
What an Ignorant, what a moron?!
6 Formula 1 constructor championships and 5 Driver's Championships are no history? What about winning a Grand Prix, three years after Honda's first production cars rolled out.

Ask him when was the last time Porsche won an F1 title. Don't ask the guy with the 360 though.
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by NSX2F1 (edited 03 April 2002).]

I would agree that the 360 is indeed superior to the NSX. However, for your friend to say that his NA 996 is also far superior, it clearly shows that he is a Porsche bigot and does not know much about cars.

It is sad that some people dismiss the NSX simply because of its Honda roots - lack of soul, character, history, blah blah blah.

REAL car enthusiasts know better - and your friend is not one of them.

Originally posted by BoneZ:
I think its time to change my license plate to 996KILR

Yeah, just pull even with the 996, and then use your Linksys wireless access point to zap over some 802.11b WiFi virus spam to mess up the 996's engine mgt software and you can save yourself some gas.

biggrin.gif

Originally posted by 8000RPM:
Yeah, just pull even with the 996, and then use your Linksys wireless access point to zap over some 802.11b WiFi virus spam to mess up the 996's engine mgt software and you can save yourself some gas.

biggrin.gif

Alright, that was a little too techie for me. Silicon Valley...
confused.gif

[This message has been edited by ck (edited 03 April 2002).]

hahahahaa!.. I liked the WAP joke. I was telling my friends about the WAP in that guys car, and I think its a great idea. next... plop in a hub, connect your laptop and you are good to go!.

I was and stil am a Porsche fan, one day I was at a light with a 2001 996 and he motioned at me. I figured that there was no disgrace in my losing to a brand new Porsche with my 94 NSX. I wanted to see him run. Well off we went, from a 5 mile per hour roll and of course he gained about 1/2 a car length.. but to my surprise my car started pulling ( especially when he went to shift) slightly ahead. By 90 mph. I was one full car ahead. (stock with a recent tune-up from NSX Modified- polished heads) .

I was really surprised.. and oh so proud of my baby. Talk about bang for the buck! Says a lot when a 8 year old car can compete with a new one in its class.

I still would love a 996 with the GT3 kit
smile.gif

Back