• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What inspired you to pick your user name/avatar?

Tom239 is my name followed by a number I've liked ever
since reading a certain section of a 1972 publication on
computer science, math, and other miscellaneous topics.

^:biggrin: So, are you a mathematician or what?

EDIT: I see you're a software engineer. I'll have to ask my son about 239. He's almost done with his PhD in Computer Science at UCSB and is interning at Google for the third summer, right now. He's a geek, too. :wink:

Last edited:
^:biggrin: He's almost done with his PhD in Computer Science at UCSB and is interning at Google for the third summer, right now. He's a geek, too. :wink:

.....now that is a real Gaucho with a future. I had a TA who was working on his PhD but he was majoring in surfing and minor in Physics.

.....now that is a real Gaucho with a future. I had a TA who was working on his PhD but he was majoring in surfing and minor in Physics.

Yeah, I am one proud ass mom! When he was in high school he would kid that he was going to get a PhD so he could make us all call him Doctor, at least for a day. I can't help but boast about him. :redface:

^^^That is quite an amazing achievement.

Tokyo Xtreme Racer series (TXR).
In TXR2 there is a racer who requires you to drive at midnight for him to appear and he was called the "Grim Reaper" and he drove a S15 Silvia.
Ha! I knew it! Someone had to have a name related to TXR!

=================================================================
I have been an on/off automotive forum user for some years now and have unfortunately observed a very high rate of online heckling/bragging/bitching/favoring/empty hatred/....you name it. I've never been in the middle and got along with almost everyone...and tried to stay away from any "online groups" of people that huddled together in their own little virtual clique.
When I joined the forum, I wanted a name that would hopefully show people I'm not here to argue or even give my worthless opinions. I just want to observe and learn. Maybe laugh a little too. Peace Frog is a song I was listening to from The Doors while I was creating my account.

Last edited:
^:biggrin: So, are you a mathematician or what?

EDIT: I see you're a software engineer. I'll have to ask my son about 239. He's almost done with his PhD in Computer Science at UCSB and is interning at Google for the third summer, right now. He's a geek, too. :wink:

Yeah, I'm more of an "or what" than a mathematician. :)

The memo I linked to was somewhat of a hit among geeks in the 1970s,
it's a bit of an obscure reference nowadays.

=================================================================
I have been an on/off automotive forum user for some years now and have unfortunately observed a very high rate of online heckling/bragging/bitching/favoring/empty hatred/....you name it. I've never been in the middle and got along with almost everyone...and tried to stay away from any "online groups" of people that huddled together in their own little virtual clique.
When I joined the forum, I wanted a name that would hopefully show people I'm not here to argue or even give my worthless opinions. I just want to observe and learn. Maybe laugh a little too. Peace Frog is a song I was listening to from The Doors while I was creating my account.
^Ha ha. I love it. Peace Frog. :biggrin:

After joining S2ki.com in March 2003, I've seen what you're referring to. I do my best to stay out of the BS and try to not take things personally. Only once did someone really go after me and it was another woman on facebook in the NSX So Cal group. The world is full of all kinds but I try to stay away from the negative soul-suckers.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, I'm more of an "or what" than a mathematician. :)

The memo I linked to was somewhat of a hit among geeks in the 1970s,
it's a bit of an obscure reference nowadays.

You and I are close to the same age. I was a math major changed to physics with a BS in 1981. I didn't run across that, though. I'm a bit jealous of you, living in Lone Pine. Are you getting any color change yet? Like at least the rabbit brush must be turning gold.

You and I are close to the same age. I was a math major changed to physics with a BS in 1981. I didn't run across that, though. I'm a bit jealous of you, living in Lone Pine. Are you getting any color change yet? Like at least the rabbit brush must be turning gold.
No color change on trees yet.
Some late-season gold flowers on shrubs, although anything
that depends on rain is scaled back because the past couple
years have been really dry (even for here).

No color change on trees yet.
Some late-season gold flowers on shrubs, although anything
that depends on rain is scaled back because the past couple
years have been really dry (even for here).
Thank you for the info. :smile:

My name is Hugo, and I am a man.

Well, when I was volunteering at a recreation department, kids call me Mr. Hugo, and I really liked it. hahaha...

I am Mexican and I am Ricer... Fast and furious bodykit, halo lights, underbody glow you name it I got it :p

Back when I was really into honda civics the whole JDM fad had started exploding and the ricers would get made fun of. As a joke I joined the forums (honda-tech, nwp4life, etc) with MexiRicer to throw people off..

Plus I was almost always the only mexican at the meets back then haha, not as much anymore though.. Avatar speaks for itself...

Super sonic. Because the car is blue and although sonic is blue and super sonic is yellow, the car was originally super charged. This super sonic. It is now turbo, so now it's just super awesome lol

Didn't put a whole lot of thought into choosing a name. Kind of the first thing that popped into my head at the time. My wife and I have owned a Honda dealership for over 20 years- Kings County Honda in Nova Scotia. Driving an Nsx makes me feel like a king too. Driving an S2000 isn't far behind.

My wife and I have owned a Honda dealership for over 20 years- Kings County Honda in Nova Scotia.
Wow! We drove right past your dealership this past July on a vacation trip to NS. We visited Halifax and spent several days on Cape Breton Island, and spent a day trip from Halifax touring all the many wineries in the Wolfville-Kentville-Grand Pre-Canning area where your dealership is located. Small world!

Oyagi is Japanese for "old man" which is what my wife calls me....

Wow! We drove right past your dealership this past July on a vacation trip to NS. We visited Halifax and spent several days on Cape Breton Island, and spent a day trip from Halifax touring all the many wineries in the Wolfville-Kentville-Grand Pre-Canning area where your dealership is located. Small world![/QUOT

If you're ever in the valley again by all means stop in and say hi. Pretty much live at the shop. I would be happy to show you some of the local sights. We enjoy stopping by the local wineries in our area. I can pretty much tell you how many bottles my wife can fit in the trunk of the S2000. Not sure about the Nsx. Hopefully you caught some decent weather while you were here.
I doubt we drove right past your door, but we were in Chicago last fall. It was the second time we were there for a Honda convention. We love the blues,
so Chicago never disappoints. This time we caught John Mayall at the Mayne Stage. He was awesome, hard to believe he's like 78 years old. Neil Young's wife Pegi, opened up for Mayall with her band The Survivors. They were excellent also.
The last time we were in town, we were lucky to see the Stones for the first time. Chicago rocks!

Back