• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What is PHO !

Lame video, I completely seem to miss what is intended to be funny here:confused:.

By the way, if in beef version (also possible with other sorts of meat) it is Phô bo, and I like it a lot.
Another very nice beef noodle soup is Bún bò :tongue:
My wife is Vietnamese and a very talented cook of several cuisines, so I am a lucky guy:rolleyes::biggrin:

Lame video, I completely seem to miss what is intended to be funny here:confused:.

By the way, if in beef version (also possible with other sorts of meat) it is Phô bo, and I like it a lot.
My wife is Vietnamese and a very talented cook of several cuisines, so I am a lucky guy:rolleyes::biggrin:

I agree it's a very lame video.

But so long as the video tickles someone else's bones more power to them.

But yea, the video sucks, imho. This is why we all have different senses of humor.

Bun bo hue?

Is she from Hue, Vietnam? Bun bo is usually a recipe from the city Hue and other vietnamese usually don't have it.

LOL! I couldn't stop laughing. Great video. I go to a local Vietnamese restaurant called: "Pho King" the "Pho" is pronounced "fo" or some people say "Fa":biggrin:

Last edited:
Bun bo hue?

Is she from Hue, Vietnam? Bun bo is usually a recipe from the city Hue and other vietnamese usually don't have it.

Nope, my wife tells me the Bun bo exhists in lots of regionally different versions. Bun bo Hue has blood in it, pork feet/legs, special herbs, etc, don't think I will like that.
She makes me a very different version with steak beef in it.

My wife originates from Nha Trang and also lived in Saigon for a few years during childhood.
She had a Dutch grandfather (who was already deceased when she was born) but thus had a Dutch passport (even though she didn't know the country).
When Saigon fell to the communists in 1975, as Dutch passport holder she was picked up by Dutch embassy personnel for evacuation to The Netherlands.
Her family was on the last evac plane that left Saigon airport while it was onder heavy artillery fire.
A plane full of baby's/infants that was given takeoff priority and that took off in front of them was shot down. Her plane however, taking off after that, made it.

Last edited:
True, Bun bo Hue, has lemon grass for spice, and hamhocks, I don't think it has the blood cubes tho. Our family makes it with the well done steak/brisket. I have a similiar story during the fall of Saigon. It may have been my plane in front of hers. That was my first attempt at leaving the communist behind. The second time we made it by boat and were refugees in Hong Kong. I almost died both times as I was only a baby at the time. First time shot down plane burning, second time almost drowned. I had an uncle that worked in the US Embassy that helped up escape.

I haven't laughed that hard in a long time. The differences between Chinese and Vietnamese accent is so right on.

I'm having Pho tonight.

Wow, this is an amazing coincidence if you were on that plane with baby's.

My wife always thought no one on that plane survived as it crashed down burning when her plane took off.
She never forgot her luck as her plane was planned to go first but was held back to give way to the other plane to leave first and that beeing shot down. She saw it as an incredible event of fate that saved her life.

You must have been soo lucky to survive the crash, live to reach the US and live on.
Can't believe that we get into contact now over the rediculous Phô topic.

My wife has family in the LA area which we visited several times over the years, we have visited the US 5 times for family visits and roundtrips over the last 18 years.

The vnese guy name PHUC DAT BICH
"FUK THAT
BITCH" it really crack you up if your really listen to the way he talks (pronounce the vnese guys name).

My wife originates from Nha Trang and also lived in Saigon for a few years during childhood.
She had a Dutch grandfather (who was already deceased when she was born) but thus had a Dutch passport (even though she didn't know the country).
When Saigon fell to the communists in 1975, as Dutch passport holder she was picked up by Dutch embassy personnel for evacuation to The Netherlands.
Her family was on the last evac plane that left Saigon airport while it was onder heavy artillery fire.
A plane full of baby's/infants that was given takeoff priority and that took off in front of them was shot down. Her plane however, taking off after that, made it.

Around the same time, many families were fleeing bordered countries
into Thailand. My family and another crossed the jungle of Laos for nights
and days to finally reach the border, the Mekong river. The other family
took the first ride. They didn't even make it halfway the large river.
After much negotiation, my father arranged another boat the next day
and eventually made it to Thailand. They were sent to a refugee camp,
and once settled there, I was born.

QUOTE]

It would be very amazing. Since I was a baby at the time I'm not completely sure to all the details, I'm just glad to be where I'm at now. The way my parents tell me, we were very lucky to able to get any help leaving at the very last minute. And Now I'm lucky enough to own a NSX, I don't think that I would ever get an opportunity like that back in VN.

Ohhh goshhhh those are gross. But I'm sure there are some that LOVE those cubes!

My wife (who is Vietnamese) and I both love bun bo hue, but neither of us go for the blood cubes. One of my friends, however, loves them.

Last edited:
That's a funny satire Pho Sure! But on a cold raining day, nothing beats a hot bowl of Pho pho $6. Not to mention the pearl drink in 30 different flavors. Would I eat the extra beef tendons & stomach linings -phogettabbit!

QUOTE]

It would be very amazing. Since I was a baby at the time I'm not completely sure to all the details, I'm just glad to be where I'm at now. The way my parents tell me, we were very lucky to able to get any help leaving at the very last minute. And Now I'm lucky enough to own a NSX, I don't think that I would ever get an opportunity like that back in VN.

I agree! Watching that top gear video when they were in vietnam makes it seem noone really owned a car not to mention a nsx. Definitely fortunate to be living in the U S of A!:biggrin:

My girl is Vietnamese and she has introduced me to Pho. The closest pronunciation that I hear is "Fuh." So she's always saying, "I want some f------ Pho.":biggrin:
We have fun with the language. Her sister's name is Bich. My girl aways answers the phone when her sister calls: "What's up, Bi(t)ch!"
Also, she cooks Pho Ga, (chicken). It's very lean white meat chicken and a lot of bean sprouts and mint and other vegetables such cilantro. She says that's the secret as to why Vietnamese women are always so slender.
And there are some hair-raising stories concerning her familes flight from Vietnam. You could make a movie.

I have it the best. My mom's side of the family is from Hue. Our family is constantly competing to make the best pho and bun bo hue. So between 9 aunts and uncles, I eat ALOT of both!

I have it the best. My mom's side of the family is from Hue. Our family is constantly competing to make the best pho and bun bo hue. So between 9 aunts and uncles, I eat ALOT of both!

Ah, that's awesome!!!! I get the big pot once in a while where I freeze and have pho for the whole week from my mom.:biggrin:

But on a cold raining day, nothing beats a hot bowl of Pho pho $6. Not to mention the pearl drink in 30 different flavors. Would I eat the extra beef tendons & stomach linings -phogettabbit!

This pretty much completes my thought !

Back