• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What is the most common cause for NSX engine failure and what happened to this one?

I'm only guessing but I would say the #1 cause of NSX engine failure is engine modification, including addition of superchargers and turbochargers, especially if tuning is not not done well. I would guess that number 2 would be oil starvation, during track events. Number 3 would be overheating due to improper coolant maintenance. Not to say any one of those issues caused the damage shown in the OP.
I'd guess that the most common cause is the previously-mentioned "money shift", i.e. overrevving (revving above redline) when downshifting. The other causes you mention are also possible, although not necessarily due to the reasons you give (i.e. oil starvation, but not necessarily during track events - any failure to monitor oil levels over time; overheating, but not necessarily due to improper coolant maintenance - continuing to drive when a cooling system hose fails is probably the most common cause of overheating).

True, true, nsxtasy. I did neglect the over-rev which probably has accounted for more than a few Honda/Acura engine failures. But I think oil starvation is rare in street-driving. (I'm giving NSX owners some credit by assuming they check oil levels regularly.) And by improper coolant maintenance, I meant failure to maintain the entire cooling system. My choice of words was not very clear, but I actually had in mind failed coolant hoses and air in the cooling system. I both of these could be classified as the result of improper maintenance.

Last edited:
Back