• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What is the point?

I just bought a 91 NSX. There is no spare tire, compressor or tool kit. But why the hell should I care? The car has 17/18 wheels and is lowered so the spare won't work anyway.

I guess I am asking if there is any point in bothering to get these pieces? The car is a little rough. I don't think anyone who would want to buy it is going to ever make it stock.

Any thoughts? I have looked at prices for the spare from people parting them out, about 150 to 300 dollars. Looks like 250 to 300 dollars for the tool kit and compressor. Thats two new tires ect. I have a Sears plug into the cig lighter compressor already so thats not a reason.

Peace,

Prude

Don't bother. Even if you get it I doubt it'll boost the resale value of your car that much, from what it sounds like.

Originally posted by Prudeone:
I just bought a 91 NSX. There is no spare tire, compressor or tool kit. But why the hell should I care? The car has 17/18 wheels and is lowered so the spare won't work anyway.

I guess I am asking if there is any point in bothering to get these pieces? The car is a little rough. I don't think anyone who would want to buy it is going to ever make it stock.

Any thoughts? I have looked at prices for the spare from people parting them out, about 150 to 300 dollars. Looks like 250 to 300 dollars for the tool kit and compressor. Thats two new tires ect. I have a Sears plug into the cig lighter compressor already so thats not a reason.

Peace,

Prude

I guess it all depends on if you use your car for a daily driver or not I sure would want a spare tire just in case. I sold my Tool kit and Spare Tire for weight savings and I only drive the car on weekends and track events so they didnt matter to me. When I take a longer trip I just toss in the 16inch stock tire in the trunk with a wrench and small jack.

Steven 91 Blk/Ivory

Just get AAA and be done with it. They'll trailer your car to any service station you choose w/i 100 miles. At no extra charge.

Originally posted by Prudeone:

Yes, it will. The bigger wheels and lowering have nothing to do with your ability to use the spare.

Think about the worst possible place and time for you to get a flat tire - in the middle of nowhere, when you're in a rush, out of cell phone range, all dressed up, late at night when tire stores and mechanics are closed, etc. If you're okay with not having a spare and jack in those circumstances, then don't worry about it.

Remember, it takes about 15 minutes to change a flat tire, and you can continue on to where you're going, and repair or replace the tire later, at your convenience. If you have to call a tow truck, they may or may not be able to fix the flat, and if not, they can only drop you off someplace, where you may still need to buy a new tire to continue on your way.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 23 November 2002).]

Get an aerosol-type tire puncture repair kit like the one in the NSX-R.

Nsxtasy is right! I have 17s and 18s on my car and got a flat and used the spare . It worked but it wasnt pretty or safe good thing I had to only go a few miles. The problem I ran into was I had some one with me and my 18 inch rim does not fit in the trunk.

Back