• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What is/was your college major?

BS: EET Purdue University

I soon realized it sucked being a 'real' engineer. Studied Cisco Systems certification track. I'm a CCNP and making more money than the vast majority of my classmates. I work from home and love it. The extra time affords me the opportunity to trade the currency markets. I love that too. Would I do it differently? No, College was a great time, and it looks good on the resume. I have the ability to learn!

BA in biology with a minor in Psych, I rely on my minor when navigating prime:wink:

I've been on prime for over 7 years and have seen several of these threads. I have yet to meet a member from my Alma mater .... Carnegie Mellon :(

Yeah, but you're the "dumb business guy" who lives in a multimillion dollar condo in SF looking at picking up a Lambo to drive around in. To me, that's pretty damn good.

Seems like mechanical engineering is my calling. The math doesn't scare me away nor physics since I actually discovered I loved math in jr high, and physics in high school. I had just gotten lazy a year ago and strayed off in the opposite direction and tried to avoid the math. Now the math is in my way. Too bad I can't take the calculus classes 2 at a time because they build upon each other. Math isn't tough, I took two different math classes at the same time last semester and did just fine. I think I should be able to easily do 3.

I just need to get my life rolling in a decent direction. Going back into the air force as an O1-E doesn't seem like much of an option anymore when they're forcing out more and more people every year.

Got my BSEE and MBA. Take it from a guy who is 45. There are plenty of years left after you earn a degree. I've been working for 21 years as an engineer and still have another 20 to go before retirement! :eek:

Don't think you have to get out as soon as possible. I've seen plenty of technical people that could get further if they had obtained a degree before going into the work field. It's not a pre-requisite, but certainly helps you up a few rungs and opens doors down the road. Life's a journey so don't worry about the extra year or two. If you think a BSME will fit, put in the time and make it happen. 10 years from now, you will look back and think "man that was a life changing decision"!

Whatever you do - wish you well....

Shaun

Penn State

B.S. Finance

earned Certificate in Financial Planning

Minor: Management Information Systems (useless, only took 2 courses outside of required finance courses)

Worked as a Financial Advisor in Philly for a while. Now I am VP of our Columbia, MD firm.

Previous work experience is more important than ever now, some programs require an internship prior to graduation too. Lots of people entering the work force, have to differentiate yourself.

I went to Battlenet University under the the College of Starcrat. I majored in Zerg Rushing Tactics with a minor in Siege Tank deployment.

Thank God I am a little younger and got that out of the way in highschool. You cannot pass 12 hours of time any faster than playing that game. In my prime I used to study replays of professionals for hours a week.

I've been thinking of returning to school... this post gives me hope!

I'm with you on that.
I'm at the top of my game in my current job and get very bored with it on a regular basis. I don't really like it anymore either.:frown:
However, having just adopted a child and the wife's job not being the most stable right now(works for GM), it isn't exactly the right time for me to try and go back to school. Although it might be a great time as I can get a degree in something and allow her to stay home and raise our child.:cool:
I just gotta quit talking about it and get off my ass and do it !!!!

Oral Roberts University
Major: Intl. Business
Minor: German/History/Theology

Just toured Notre Dame's law and mba school. It'd be quite a feat to transplant the family but you never know. ;)

Thank God I am a little younger and got that out of the way in highschool. You cannot pass 12 hours of time any faster than playing that game. In my prime I used to study replays of professionals for hours a week.

Thank god someone got my Starcraft reference! I was beginning to think I was the only person that played that game religiously. The only reason I didn't list my real major (BSME) is because I think I actually spent more hours playing that game then I did attending class. And you're not alone. I used to check out the pro gammer clips too. In my prime I cracked the top 100 in the ladder rankings.

Oral Roberts University
Major: Intl. Business
Minor: German/History/Theology

Just toured Notre Dame's law and mba school. It'd be quite a feat to transplant the family but you never know. ;)

"Oral Roberts. Is that like Anal Johnson ... or was that Dirty Sanchez?"

-Juan Castillo, Club Dread

Sorry, just had to. :tongue:

Thank god someone got my Starcraft reference! I was beginning to think I was the only person that played that game religiously. The only reason I didn't list my real major (BSME) is because I think I actually spent more hours playing that game then I did attending class. And you're not alone. I used to check out the pro gammer clips too. In my prime I cracked the top 100 in the ladder rankings.

My worry now is I need to crack the quarter billion mark before I play the 2nd SC in case that is even 50% as addicting as the original. I've got a long ways to go.

Majored in Comm Strategies, Minored in Business, and could have gotten a doctorate in Womens Studies (or at least the study of women ;) )

I am currently a Project Management Team Lead in the global datacom industry. I use a lot of my organizational comm knowledge in my day-to-day, but most of the tech I have learned with experience.

P

North Carolina State University
B.S Electrical Engineering, B.S Computer Engineering, M.S Computer Engineering

Washington University
MBA - Marketing and Strategy

In retrospect, i should have just attempted to go into business
(read consulting or quant finance)
after my BS degree... that would have given me alot more flexibility than the path i ended up taking....

I ended up doing all this stuff cuz I wasn't a 'natural'.. i still don't know what i want to be when i grow up....

UC Irvine, M.S. Information and Computer Sciences

Current: Information Security professional in one of the Big 4. Responsibility is to persuade clients to spend more money on consulting.

- College for Creative Studies (Detroit)
- I'll be graduating with a BFA in Industrial Design.

I'm currently working as a Product Designer for Motorola and hope to finish schooling spring of 2009.

After I've been in the design field for a couple years, I'm going to start my own design firm. I don't plan on focusing on one aspect of design. I want to dip my toes into; furniture, product, automotive and clothing design.

Marketing w/ a focus on Advertising. Minor in General Mgmt.
Spent a few years in Operations, but most of my career in Marketing and Advertising for Internet/hosting/e-apps technologies and most recently wireless/cellular/wifi/wimax.

Last edited:
I went to Battlenet University under the the College of Starcrat. I majored in Zerg Rushing Tactics with a minor in Siege Tank deployment.

I had a lot of friends who attended that school, which resulted in them being dropped from their other school. It was a good thing that I sucked at that game.

Back