• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What kind of oil do you use?

ck

Experienced Member
Hi, everyone,

Just wondering what what kind of engine and transmission oil do you guys use. Synthetic or mineral? What brand? Any comments or recomendations?

Thanks,
Chris

I am a Mobil1 kinda guy myself. You will get lots of answers from this group. Try the search function on the forums page and type in oil, should bring up many, many posts.

BTW, my old NSX tech (who was gung-ho on anything Honda until he jumped ship and started working on BMW's for more $$$) said that Honda motor oil is just as good if not better than Mobil1 (it is synthetic) and said the Mobil1 rep even agreed when pressed. JFYI.

------------------
Gary Yates
1995 Red/Tan

I have been using Red Line oil in all my vehicals for past 6 years, I guess Mobil 1
is cheaper but I feel that Red Line is the better product plus it is a local company.
I see you are in the Bay area Chris, we should get together for a drive some weekend.

I use Mobil 1 10w-30 in the engine and Honda MTL in the transmission--never had a problem at the track or on the street.

Ditto here.

I had been using Pennzoil Performax synthetic when it was less expensive than Mobil 1, but now that they cost the same, I'm a Mobil 1 guy.

Valvoline Synthetic in the Engine
Redline MTL in the tranny

The only oil induced engine failure I have ever heard of was my friend tried an oil with molybdenum disulfide in his motorcycle in the late 70's. The particles plugged a small pressure reducing orifice that fed the camshaft, result, camshaft seized.

I would avoid the use of any oil that has particles of "super lubricants" in it if the oil has to be pumped through small places. Great on door hinges, bad on small passages.

My dad won't touch Pennzoil or Quaker State, he says Pennsylvania Grade Crude Oil is the most contaminated Crude Oil that comes out of the ground, but he used to work for Standard Oil and might be a victim of employee disinformation propaganda, or he is an educated chemist that worked at Lawrence Livermore Laboratory for 20+ years after working in Quality Control for the Westvaco Chemical Co.
http://www.westvaco.com/products/chemicals/chemicals.htm

You got my 2 cents for what its worth.

Fritz

Thanks a lot for your replys!

I was wondering if it is true that when you switch from mineral to synthetic, you may have problems? I heard that the synthetic may dislodge helpful buildup in the engine and actually make it more prone to leakage. Is this true? Can I make a direct switch to synthetic safely?

Thanks for the speedy responses, going to change the oil in a couple of hours!

Chris

NorCalWhite:

I would be interested in a weekedn drive sometime. I'll keep your e-mail.

Originally posted by ck:
Thanks a lot for your replys!

I was wondering if it is true that when you switch from mineral to synthetic, you may have problems? I heard that the synthetic may dislodge helpful buildup in the engine and actually make it more prone to leakage. Is this true? Can I make a direct switch to synthetic safely?

The first synthetic oils may have caused shrinking of seals leading to stories of synthetic oil causing leaks. This is no longer anything to worry about.

------------------
Andrew Henderson
The NSX Model List Page

Originally posted by nsx4fun:
My dad won't touch Pennzoil or Quaker State, he says Pennsylvania Grade Crude Oil is the most contaminated Crude Oil that comes out of the ground...

I believe that the oils made from Pennsylvania crude are typically higher in paraffin, and have been credited with causing gummed up rings after years of use. The older the engine the bigger the problem because more of it gets past the rings to begin with.

Thank you all for your replys!

I have went ahead and used Redline 10-30 and a Honda OEM filter. I think NorCalWhite's comment about Redline being a local company did it! Also, Andrie Hartanto, the worker at Monument Car Parts said he knew and races with you and he had a whole story about why Redline is better than Mobil 1. It sounded good, and everyone on the forum seems divided, so I went with Redline.

By the way, it feels much smoother than the dino oil. It may just be because my oil was dirty, though.
smile.gif

Chris

Back