• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

what kind of stereo system you guys got?

for those who got more than stock speakers and deck what did you use to replaced you old ones.

how do you like em?

my stock radio in my civic sounds better than the NSX's

Thats Probably because all the speakers are not working.....stock system comes with a bose system two speakers .....one in each door and a foot well sub........if you even consider a speaker that small to be a sub driver.There is also a center speaker in the early models which was used for the cell phone which does not contribute anything to the sound system.Some say that when the system is in perfect working condition it sounds great but its all a matter of opinion and what you are comparing it against.Some say this car does not need a stereo system and like a Ferrari.....the engine makes the music.

Okay, I'll bite. When I got my NSX, the passanger speaker was starting to go out. When it wasn't working the system sounded like crap. When it was working, it sounded okay. Not great, not bad, but okay. It was something I could live with, but not something I wanted to live with. I ended up with an Alpine 7996 DVD player, an Alpine TME-M760 6.5" LCD in the Honda OEM navigation pod, Diamond Audio S6.0s 6.5" separates in the doors, an Alpine MRV-F450 5 channel amp. My sub is a custom fiberglass enclusure that bolts in the stock sub location with no loss of space. It is not completely installed yet, but currently being installed. I still have some work to do on the fiber glass enclosure. Once I have that done and I know exactly how much volume the enclosure has I will choose the right subwoofer. How does it sound in the NSX? I'm not quite sure yet as I only did a rough test with no real tuning, however, I had similar systems installed in my Acura Legend Coupe and it sounded great. IMHO.

Last edited:
I have an XTant 600 watt amp powering my system and can turn it all the way up with no discernable distortion. It is crystal clear and VERY loud. Get what you pay for and I'm glad I chose what I did.

I'm somewhat of an audio enthusiast and I listen to music in the car all the time, literally one of the first things I turn on when I get into the car. Bose is well respected but IMO the stock speaker system just doesn't do the car justice. I changed all the speakers in the car. I now run Sony Xplod speakers in the doors with Nakamichi tweeters in the corner of the door windows. I also run a 10" Illusion inverted subwoofer in the passenger footwell in place of the stock wannabe subwoofer. It is powered by an 800w Sony Xplod amp in the trunk. I am quite happy with the setup and the sound is truly crystal clear. The bass is decent but nowhere near the twin 12" JL subs I used to have in a sealed enclosure. =)

well i really can't blame the stock speakers since they are 12 yrs old. the technology used is pretty much obsolete compare to newer speakers.

i guess ill just hook up the sound system instead of the wings west kit.

I know that this is a dumb quesiton, but can you achieve the decent sound with the stock deck, but just replacing the amps and speakers? If so, this is a great news since I really don't want to cut the center console to fit the aftermarket in-dash CD player..

Thank you.

TigerNSX, I'm pretty sure you can change out the entire system and still use the OEM headunit.
On my car, when I bought it, the headunit was already replaced with a Alpine CD player. And yes, the center console doesn't look right. I have since replaced the headunit with a Kenwood KVT910 CD/DVD/am-fm/TV. It's pretty cool with the touch screen function. For now, I'm still using factory everything else, but I have some JL Audio XR650 components and a nice PPI sitting around to be put in one day. I think I'm waiting for someone to make me a custom subwoofer enclosure so I can install everything at once. :D
Z

TigerNSX said:
I know that this is a dumb quesiton, but can you achieve the decent sound with the stock deck, but just replacing the amps and speakers? If so, this is a great news since I really don't want to cut the center console to fit the aftermarket in-dash CD player..

Thank you.

I'm still using the stock head unit because I don't like the look of anything aftermarket in the center console. I works fine and sounds incredible.
Andy @ BuzzOff car audio did my system.

stereo

Alpine head unit
1000 watt PPI amp custom mounted flush in the trunk
Mb Quart front and rear seperates
8 JL in the floor board
Alpine 6 disk CD changer
Capacitor
Pheonix gold wires
6" screen for the DVD player flush mounted in the center console. I will try to get some pics.
DVD control unit

etc

TigerNSX said:
I really don't want to cut the center console to fit the aftermarket in-dash CD player..

Thank you.

I'm like you. I don't like to modify anything permanent. For the center console. You don't need to cut the OEM piece. Most of us just bought the aftermarker blank center console from places like Science of Speed. This way, we can modify the FRP piece and store the OEM console away. The FRP console cost about $250, but it is well worth it.

Back