• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What would have made the new NSX sell better?

IMO: It did not help the car was delayed.
It did not help the car didn't make the 10 best sports cars of 2017, because the mag came out in june and the car didn't till april.
Next year will be different unless the economy hits the skids.
I expect the car to be in the top 10 if not #1 or 2.
I expect the used ones to disappear or command a premium.
Can I wake up now? lol

with over 500 sold at least they collected over 85 million$......that payed for something....:tongue:

This project will take a while to reach break even.

My understanding is that the factory was $70 million to build.

They also build like 150 prototype (ouch).

And they there is x years of development costs.

To Heavymetals point, the late to the party hurt. Even, the slow production ramp up led to customers bailing out.

From my reading of Ferrarichat, the general market circumstances matter. In the mid engine entry to mid tier supercar space alone we have the; 488, Huracan, 650 and now 720, R8. Many of the target NSX customers are the new shiny bauble type and the NSX is already not the newest (720 taking that mantle).

Since Acura is not providing a better customization program for 2018, the best hope for moving more cars is a friendly lease.

right-o, i didn't know B&B was talking sales versus production numbers, etc? now i know, let's go with that.

so by that logic, let's say 500 cars sitting in owner's garages as we speak (for the first 365 days). significantly less than 800 however you want to look at it.

40 used ones on the market (with miles), and about 175 brand new ones sitting on showroom floors. no matter how you work those numbers, a very bad first year for a hot new, long awaited flagship Supercar.
Yep. The used number for sale isn't really a worry, but the fact that they came up well short of their 800 unit/year mark in the first year is not a good sign. The 800 unit/year goal was supposed to mean that they sold every one they made and didn't have a ton of cars sitting around unsold.

p.s. if the fall off of the '92 NSX is comparative, Acura will barely sell 250 for the 2018 model year.
I imagine the fall off will probably be somewhere under 350 units. In July they only sold 30.

Last I talked to the Acura folks they did not foresee offering a lease program but hopefully they'll see the light given the negative sales trend.

I imagine the fall off will probably be somewhere under 350 units. In July they only sold 30.

mate, i don't even see them selling 300 next year to be honest...

Last I talked to the Acura folks they did not foresee offering a lease program but hopefully they'll see the light given the negative sales trend.

wow, they really aren't getting it are they?! seems as if they've already written this car off? :confused:

the car is selling very badly, but they're not willing to even pretend to help reverse the trend...

30 cars sold in the US this month is a complete fail (thought consistent with recent results)

You have to get used to how Japanese companies operate.

They make a plan and stick with it, for better or in this case worse (for them).

As I keep saying, us owners generally feel we got great value. I can drive it to work, in traffic is is totally docile and has all the amenities. When traffic is light, I can get on it. And when car folks see it they smile a lot and swivel their heads to a degree that looks painful (but they keep smiling).

Today's example, a Lexus dealer sold a new 2012 LFA in July 2017 (per Lexus' July 2017 US sales report). That car has been sitting on the store floor for 4+ years prior to finding a loving home.

I am looking forward to hearing about who orders the GT3 version.

mate, i don't even see them selling 300 next year to be honest...

wow, they really aren't getting it are they?! seems as if they've already written this car off? :confused:

the car is selling very badly, but they're not willing to even pretend to help reverse the trend...
^This... The only people who shop the new car are techies. The car is not up to par for such a high dollar buy in when a froggy 911 can destroy it. It pains me to see why Acura/Honda doesn't get it. I say this with utmost respect to gen 2 owners. I really wish they would just wake the hell up. Instead they make a gt3 program for buyers for .5 mill. Meanwhile, all the 2nd gen needs is less weight and more POWER!!! It's so clear a vision that it is uncanny. Did Trump take over Honda motor corp?

More power for old NSX owners = injured and dead NSX owners.

Honda is about mobility, not creating disabled people. They will leave that to VW's able hands (Carrera GT anyone?).

They ain't gonna build a 2800 lb 700 HP RWD street legal car that folks will mate with trees and light poles.

They just want to have a "somewhat responsible" super car on the road to move their brand image needle away from sleepy and towards engaging.

Expecting them to fix their low sales situation is expecting too much I am afraid.

A small number of folks will own the car and hopefully a good percentage of those folks will keep them and enjoy them a long time.

After 10 months with mine, I have gotten much better at unfolding myself to get out of the car in my too small garage.

Don't mind me B&B. I worked 12 hours today in 110 degree heat and I am having some well due margarita's. But still, I know the car has balls. I am just wondering when Honda will unleash them. The car has the bones. I am just floored they do not update it for 2018. It is so easy to make this car a serious competitor? WTF?

I agree they need to do something.

Knowing Honda, the more likely thing is more customization, but that is over a year away.

How would they win an power war anyway?

The GT 2RS has 700 HP and the 720s has more than that.

Ferrari is next man up as they they need a new chip in the game against McLaren in the mid engine segment.

We saw Ferrari go to 800 HP in the 812.

It looks like for folks who think a warranty is toilet paper, from what we are seeing from the good folks at FabSpeed,there should be some more power available at reasonable prices. I just hope the tranny doesn't do a remake of the 2009 GTR soap opera.

The car market is in the toilet.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-...s-tank-despite-record-july-incentive-spending

My $0.02 is steer the course.

They can offer a street legal GT3 down the road, just the opposite of what the new Corvette is going to be.

They are supposedly going to offer it in a hybrid model.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/a29781/mid-engine-corvette-2018-rumors/

"High end " sports endeavors are a "must do" if a car company is going to field a race team IMO.

Looks to me there will be nice competition to see who builds the eco hybrid "super car" (BMW I8 owns that) and who builds the hybrid "super car".

The 918 being the "gold standard".

However with cheap oil, forget the battery weight!

You will probably never see a hybrid Hellcat. lol

You might see a reborn hybrid Viper.

As I mentioned earlier. Less weight and MORE POWER.... Simple. Remove batteries and up boost.

Keep the batteries, if they lose the hybrid there's nothing that makes the car unique from the competition. But you're right about the boost. A facelift and ~625hp would be spectacular.

Last edited:
what is funny is that in a recent acura owners email about the entire line....always an infomercial....when they got to the nsx blurb they state.." with nearly 600 hp available".....well then make the damn thing have over 600 hp...:rolleyes:

right but even the corporate speak is rounding up....that's my point.

Back