• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What would have made the new NSX sell better?

I think the problem is that the all-new "base" NSX is slower than the "S" or "+" variants of competitors (and/or platforms that have been massaged over many years).

I wonder if it would have been better for Acura to have, right off the bat, two variants (i) the existing car and (ii) a "Plus" (or whatever, but probably not a full "Type R") with 10% more power and more aggressive electrics. More performance is easy if you tolerate a slightly higher failure rate. That could be a $25K option package that (from Honda's perspective) would mostly fund higher expected warranty costs for the small number of people that would drive the souped-up car at its limits. Use this car to beat more of the competition in the magazine tests, but expect unit volumes to be higher on the "base" edition.

Last edited:
If it weren't ugly it would have sold better, and if it had any heritage from the original.

600 total system hp. its a psychological thing.
pentagon grille, not the outdated beak.
more CF.

Last edited:
I like at least 600 hp I like the 135k price.......more color choice.....need a type R that more closely follows the race car which is front motor delete......oh and more diffussaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Power folding mirrors, lift system, active aero, and a more true build to order option. The build to order nsx's are a joke. You can build a Chevy online with more options, or even a civic for that matter.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
active aero so people can park like dbags with their wing up? :biggrin:

additionally, a color other than Nord Grey. Something flashy. yellow, purple, orange, etc.

Maybe have an intermediate sports car priced at around $70k and then the NSX as the halo. Kind of like what Porsche and Chevy does. If Porsche can sell a Boxster S for $94k, there's no reason why Acura couldn't sell a $75k car.

Acura/Honda doesn't know how to market a car besides the MDX.

but what does chevy and porsche have that honda does not? 50+ years of heritage/reputation in the corvette/camaro/911 (which helps the cayman/boxster).

honda wouldnt know what to do with a 70k sports car. even the civic type-r is questionable. sure its fast, but they put all the ricey things from the 90s into the exterior of the civic.

honda wouldnt know what to do with a 70k sports car. even the civic type-r is questionable. sure its fast, but they put all the ricey things from the 90s into the exterior of the civic.

I almost hate to admit it because I never thought I would say this but I like the new civic type R. I don't consider myself the demographic they were after but at $38k I would consider that as a "disposable" track and extra car.

active aero so people can park like dbags with their wing up? :biggrin:

additionally, a color other than Nord Grey. Something flashy. yellow, purple, orange, etc.
I agree some times the active wing is cheesy but it's cool to be able to fine tune downforce. Plus I agree a Yellow or Purple color or even better yet the oem lime green.

1. 2.5sec 0 to 60mph (Huracan wasn't doing too well initially as it wasn't a big step up on paper compare to LP560-4 gallardo until car and driver test of 2.5 sec 0 to 60mph, that opened a lot of eyes and greatly boosted sales). For Honda/Acura to set a such low rpm launch tells me the car is easily capable for a lot more performance with very minor tweaks. I am shallow just as majority of general public, we like wow amazing number to satisfy our inner shallow needs.

2. Lower price point, one either see it as bargain hyper car or over priced super car. Gen 1 nsx gone through the same, wasn't the fastest car in its class back in the days, yet it was the best. The problem with lower price point, then it become common like GTR. Even at its current price point it won't be long until NSX be very common in SoCal.

3. It is a misunderstood car, better marketing, etc. Even for myself I did not give it a chance. Give it time, it took 2 decades for general public to truly appreciate the GEN 1 nsx.

4. Lourder exhaust note in track mode, it need to sound badass while retain it's quad personality.

5. Include more driver selectable displays similar to the one on GTR. (Boost pressure, G force, tire temperature, etc). On Huracan and 570S both has tire temperature gauge.

5. It need a Lamborghini, Ferrari, McLaren badge (this is the biggest factor affecting the sales, end of the day people simply do not consider Acura as premium brand). The largest pool of buyer will still go for the badge first, especially if it is their first one.

Had they gone with a non hybrid system, it would had been a bigger flop. Then there is nothing new about it, all old dinosaur technology and would not offer any advantage over other competitors.

I am rarely interested in something unless I see it on the road, as more NSX gets delivered, it become a free advertisement. Name me a cooler car under $250k, McLaren 570s and Huracan have that and neither as good all around, everyone I know seem to have a Huracan. 458 (old technology), R8 (not as beautiful), AMG GTS (actually interesting and priced attractively), 488 (way above $250k), 911 Turbo S (too plain), 911GT3 (maybe), GTR (too unrefined and old).

Pejman Ghadimi just recently picked up a NSX as well. Not many people are as knowledgeable, for him to pick one up and he seems to like it says a lot. In Japan the car is priced at whopping 2.37 million JPY before options. From what I have seen, the sales are picking up in Japan. They have done a good job displaying the cars at major stations across Japan. The reaction from people seem very positive.

Attachments

• File_000-7.jpg
    File_000-7.jpg
    234 KB · Views: 707
Last edited:
I almost hate to admit it because I never thought I would say this but I like the new civic type R. I don't consider myself the demographic they were after but at $38k I would consider that as a "disposable" track and extra car.

But it's a FWD. The reason why I like my RS is because it has 350hp/350tq, AWD, Torque Vectoring, and super sticky Cup 2 tires as a factory option. Plus they are now going for under MSRP.

But it's a FWD. The reason why I like my RS is because it has 350hp/350tq, AWD, Torque Vectoring, and super sticky Cup 2 tires as a factory option. Plus they are now going for under MSRP.

And I hate to admit this even more - I like your RS! Maybe one day they will make it for men....

And I hate to admit this even more - I like your RS! Maybe one day they will make it for men....

Exactly my point. You'd be a perfect fit for it and now you can change your name to Caitlyn.

Yo should see Bob heel-toe in Christian Louboutins....

If the car came with two microfiber cleaning cloths rather than just one, I think people would be on board.:biggrin:

call me crazy, but I think they should consider a little stretch and fit the car with vestigial rear seats....ala evora.......that would widen the appeal to the pretty big 911 market of family guys or gals who want to drive and take the gang..

rear seats?

the hybrid stuff takes up so much space there isn't even room behind the seats to hang up a suit jacket

Trying to do a targa is going to be a bear because there is no place to ditch a roof panel

they would need to lengthen the car....Hey lotus did it..and the evora is praised for its handling....but yes If I mentioned this to the "team" they would have spit their hors d'oeuvre at me.....

Back