• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What year nsx should I buy?

Hello,members!
I've had a second baby born last October and just couldn't get back to nsxprime to continue search for my nsx. We can breathe a little better now. :biggrin:

I was just wondering, since I can't afford a new one or very latest one which cost pretty high, what year model i should go after..... This sounds a bit like a dumb question. I understand well maintained nsx can be very good even it may be like 15 yrs old. but isnt' it true that car ages no matter what, including nsx? so should i go as new as possible? or should i also look at ones as early as 91? i live in Chicago and plan to keep it for a long time. What do you guys think?

All years are good cars, It really depends on what features you want and how much you feel comfortible spending, The 97 is a very popular year because of the increase to 3.2L and the targa top so if I could spend 40+k on one I would start there,The Targa top became aval in 95 if that is an important feature for you, I also have children so spending 50k or so on a 2 seater car really wasnt the right thing for me so I found a well taken care of 92 that I really injoy...Happy hunting :smile:

Targa top was introduced in 1995, but was it offered on ALL years thereafter?

The answer to your question is very simple:

1. If you want a removable roof panel for open-air motoring, then get a 1995 or later NSX-T, which will cost $5-8K more than a similar 1991-94 NSX Coupe.

2. If you want the best performance, then get a 1997 or later NSX with the 3.2-liter motor and six-speed transmission, which will cost another $5-8K more than a similar 1995-96 NSX-T.

3. If you want the lowest purchase price and/or don't care about removing the roof panel (or prefer NOT to be able to remove the roof panel, for greater structural rigidity and/or the ability to drive in track events that don't allow open-roof cars), then get a 1991-94 NSX Coupe.

Incidentally, the dealer in your town provides excellent service, and services more NSXs than any other of the nine Acura dealers in the Chicago area.

FormulaRX said:
Targa top was introduced in 1995, but was it offered on ALL years thereafter?
Almost all NSXs sold in North America for 1995 and later model years are the NSX-T, with the removable roof panel. (It was never officially called a Targa, which is a trademark of Porsche AG.) The only exceptions were 50 of the 1999 Zanardi NSX, and the 1996-2001 NSX Coupe, which constitutes something like 1 or 2 percent of NSX sales for those years.

What zahntech said. I would ask yourself certain questions: do you want the targa, bigger engine, 6 speed, hidden headlights, certain color, one with major mods like supercharger, or with some mods like intakes, or one completely stock. Then how much do you want to pay, and how many miles are too many miles? There's a checklist under the FAQ that's pretty good.

Just a couple of questions you should ask yourself. Do you want Targa, 3.2L six speed, and/or the new revised fix lamps? That should narrow it down for you :smile:

Hoffman Estates???

What's up neighbor!!! :smile:

If you know where Golf and Rohrssen intersect we can meet up and you can take a look at my NSX and i can try to answer any other questions you might have.

Send me a PM :biggrin:

it's always nice to read such well put replies. one must appreciate it.

going back to my question, it sounds like i shouldn't base it on the year so much. but i was wondering, doesn't driving earlier year cars feel like an old car? because when i think about it, driving a 5 yrs old car and 10 yrs old car would feel different. my main reason would be that i live in chicagoland area and although i would store it in my garage during snow season, i would think that cars generally tend to age faster here mainly due to winter.

i guess my bottom line is, should i also look at earlier(91-94) yr nsx considering that i live in Chicago and would it still perform well when it'll be like 20 yrs old by the time i own it for 4-5 yrs.

windycitynsx said:
it's always nice to read such well put replies. one must appreciate it.

going back to my question, it sounds like i shouldn't base it on the year so much. but i was wondering, doesn't driving earlier year cars feel like an old car? because when i think about it, driving a 5 yrs old car and 10 yrs old car would feel different. my main reason would be that i live in chicagoland area and although i would store it in my garage during snow season, i would think that cars generally tend to age faster here mainly due to winter.

i guess my bottom line is, should i also look at earlier(91-94) yr nsx considering that i live in Chicago and would it still perform well when it'll be like 20 yrs old by the time i own it for 4-5 yrs.

The good news is that for the most part, the answer to your question is no.

The NSX is predominantly an aluminum car. As such, it doesn't rust and if properly cared for, weather affects it less than other contemporaries.

Moreover, they are very well engineered, very well built and very rigid. I've been in several 10+ year old NSX's that don't rattle, squeek, or moan. They drive like new.

Now... time stops for no man and the fact is that even a well cared for 1991 is going to ask more of your patience and wallet than a brand new 2005. Rubber wears out, as do shocks, synchros and all the little electronic gadgets that are in all cars. There's nothing you can do about that.

If I lived in the Chicago area I'd look hard for a 1997+ coupe first (there aren't many so it'll be tough), a 1994 car second (dual airbags but no power steering or T roof so all the good and none of the "bad" of the T cars) and then a Zanardi last. Why a Zanardi last? The supsension is a little firmer and the ride height slightly diminished and from what I recall of Chicago roads that wouldn't equate to much fun.

windycitynsx said:
doesn't driving earlier year cars feel like an old car?
No.

windycitynsx said:
my main reason would be that i live in chicagoland area and although i would store it in my garage during snow season, i would think that cars generally tend to age faster here mainly due to winter.
Not true.

Let me know if you'd like to see and drive my '91 that has spent fifteen Chicago winters in my garage. It still looks great (although if you look close, you'll see the usual tiny chips on the front end and windshield like on any car that has 60K miles).

Remember - a well cared for 91-92 has no passenger side airbag so you can safely take a small adult or child with you in the car without otherwise modifying you car.

This was an important factor to me. My 91 with 57k miles has no squeaks, rattles, or other annoyances. Yes - things have and do wear out and need maintenance and repairs but a well cared for 91 will sell for nearly what you pay for it after several years under "NSX normal" miles and is as safe and reliable as one could possibly hope for in a supercar.

Last edited:
For me, I would buy the best condition newest model your budget can handle, assuming you may have to do some service work when you get it to establish a baseline.

I wanted the hidden headlights so it was easy for me, I bought the last year they were produced, 2001. Good luck -

OK, now the other side of my brain has to speak. Start a college fund for your children first and contribute regularly. Once that is done and you are comfortable, buy an NSX. Of course this assumes you already own a home. If not, buy a home first! Sorry, could not help myself.

Matteni makes a good point in 93 a passenger side air bag was added,my kids love riding in the "Race car" and my wife wouldnt let them if there was an air bag..as far as the ride/drive quality of an older car?...the NSX holds up better over time and miles than any other car I have ever seen and I see/drive on average 8 cars a day. my 92 is as tight and quiet as any 98-99-2000 I have driven..JZ

basically, how much money u got?

Its more than a question of money I have a friend that likes to track his car alot,so an older hardtop was the way to go for him,I like to take my kid with me on drives and I don't really care for the sun beating down on my head so a pre 93 is best for me,If I was single and had only myself to invest in I might buy a newer more costly car, It really depends on what you want the car to do for you....JZ

"What year nsx should I buy?"

Its a personal issue.
You should drive some cars, make up a check list and go from there.

1. Budget
2. Coupe or T top.
3. 3.0 (5) speed or 3.2 (6) speed

One knuckle heads long story.... :rolleyes:
I set out to buy a coupe.
Did not want to spend the bucks for a Zanardi.
(Too close to a regular NSX for me to justify the bucks, even though it is a 3.2 coupe) Great collector car though.
(decided on $40k tops, not $55k +) {Tight Azz}
Finding a 97 or later coupe is tuff / impossible, and probably more than I wanted to spend,
plus I like manual steering & black tops. :biggrin:
If I wanted a T top, I would have went for a 97 or later for the 3.2 / 6 spd
and would have had to add $$$ to my budget.

A few things I did find out.
93 & (especially 94's) seem to have more miles than 91-92's
Lots of 91-92's for sale with under 30k mi.
(several under 20k, & a handfull under 10k)
Have not seen any 93-94's advertised with super low mi?
(must be by sheer numbers of 91-92's built, bigger pot to choose from)
95's and 96's seem to be the best deals going.
Many priced @ or a _ _ _ _ hair above the earlier coupes.
Not a lot of choices for true "A" cond cars on the market, probably due to the fact that so few were produced & age. (US probably averaged 500 cars per year imported from 93 on)
Many of these cars have been involved in minor or major wrecks.
Most have had at least some paint work. Most have had 3 or more owners. Most have been in several States. Many have limited to zero history.
Carfax is not 100% reliable.
And the biggest thing I found out,
(Drum roll............) This is not an easy used car to buy. Its not uncommon for sellers to change their mind. (I know, and have talked to others as well)
Sellers get frustrated at dreamers/ tire kickers, Buyers get tired of looking at cars not properly represented in add's. "Mint Cond" :eek: etc.
But, in the end if you pull it off (and get the right car) it is 100% worth the trouble. :smile:
I still check the adds every day.......
Just in case.......................... :wink:
They are that neat. Can picture a super low mi. example on jack stands in my garage right now! Maybe a 3000 mi silver 93?
(No silver in 94 :frown: but do prefer the larger wheels, dash & airbag)
Got to dream big!
Bla Bla Bla...................

Back