• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What's the best way to get rid of smoke smell in vehicle

This is really off topic, but what should I use to get rid of smoke smell out of my mother-in-law's Toyota Camry? Besides a little air fresh. How about Frebrees? I want to sell the car, but it stinks from cigarettes. Not a really big deal as I'm dumping it off for $2k. Just thought I'd ask.:redface:

Damn Gabe, I thought you quit smoking!:biggrin:

Light up a joint. The smell of weed is much stronger than cigarette smoke. It won't smell like smoke anymore. :biggrin:

or.... I remember a car dealer tell me they had a "smoke bomb" they put in the car and it fogged the inside of the car and got in all the nook and crannies, etc. No idea what it is or if it works. My old faithfull was Ozium spray, baking soda on the carpets and the box of baking soda sitting open in the car for a week. Then vacuum.

Last edited:
Put about a 1/4 cup of vinegar in a glass and leave it on the floor overnight with the windows open a few inches. It will smell like vinegar for a little while, but once that wears off you won't be able to smell the smoke. It may also help to take out the mats and wash them.

Gabe,
Sell it to a smoker. I don't think you can get the smoke smell out especially if she has been smoking in the cars for years.

Put about a 1/4 cup of vinegar in a glass and leave it on the floor overnight with the windows open a few inches. It will smell like vinegar for a little while, but once that wears off you won't be able to smell the smoke. It may also help to take out the mats and wash them.

You can use pure vanilla extract in the same context as vinager as well. Smells a bit better than vinager.

not sure if it is worth it for a car you are going to sell for 2k, but I heard "fogging" works well. Most detail shops offer the service. They fog the A/C vents.

If you want to go cheap- Fabreze is a good option.

I have also heard that leaving a pan of baking soda, or odor absorbing cat litter (not used! :) ) in the back seat for 24 hrs will help kill the smell.

P

Try hiding a couple scented sheets of fabric softener under the seats.

I don't think you can get the smell of smoke out of a car 100%. Some people say you can, but they are usually smokers themselves and can't smell 100% anyway.

i read somewhere that a bowl of straight amonia absorbs the odors, similar to the vinegar trick (which i hear works well), pour some into a bowl and let it sit for a few days, windows cracked.

there is also a product called ATMOSCLEAR which i think you can get at hardware stores.

or if you're ok with the smell for sometime, a can of ground bold coffee helps with the ordor as well. you can go to your local starbucks or coffee shop and they will give you their used grounds for free.

LYSOL Aerosol Basin Tub & Tile Cleaner

Spray it on the carpet scrub it in with a brush w/water (it will foam up and remove dirt and smoke smell) then use a wet/dry Vac to remove some of the water and disinfectant spray works wonders on hard to remove stains like coffee. Just don't wet it to much or it will take forever to dry. It has a nice clean smell that lasts for weeks that is not over powering like most carpet stain removers.

I Also use their disinfectant spray in the vents and for AC/HEAT you run the fan on high and spray a liberal amount on the vent filter. It draws it into the vents to get rid of the mold that causes the mildue smell from not using the AC :smile:

I prefer Humbolt County stuff. :biggrin:

Anyways, thanks for the laughs. My car sold the same day I posted on Craigslist. I didn't even have time to clean the car. I guess it was a great deal for a Toyota.

Back