• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

whats the shortest final drive?

Whats the shortes final drive for the 6speed and what a the shortest gears for it? I want to get out a max top speed at about 165mph. So I can turn the transmission in lot of acceleration power. thanks

Available are:

4.55 Comptech (this is actually out of production, but you can get them:))
4.44 Giken
4.23 (NSX-R/Japan stock)
4.06 (stock US)

Regards,
LarryB

Whats the shortes final drive for the 6speed and what a the shortest gears for it? I want to get out a max top speed at about 165mph. So I can turn the transmission in lot of acceleration power. thanks
I think there's only one set of gears for the six-speed, aside from the ring and pinion (final drive) gear. With the stock gears in the NA2 six-speed, the theoretical (gearing-limited) top speed of the NSX is 202 mph, but it's drag-limited to 168 mph ('97-01) or 175 mph ('02-05). If you put the 4.55 R&P in, the gearing-limited stop speed is lowered to 180 mph.

what do you mean with drag limited?

Ken is pointing out that if you were to reach redline in sixth gear you would find yourself travelling at 202 mph. However the stock NSX does not have enough hp to propel it to redline in sixth gear. Drag cannot be overcome at 168 mph (97-01) and 175 mph (02+). The 02+ has a lower Cd resulting in a higher top speed.

Ken, if the gearing is changed and theoretical top speed is lowered wouldn't that result in a quicker run to 168/175 but not assist in surpassing that speed?

Ken is pointing out that if you were to reach redline in sixth gear you would find yourself travelling at 202 mph. However the stock NSX does not have enough hp to propel it to redline in sixth gear. Drag cannot be overcome at 168 mph (97-01) and 175 mph (02+). The 02+ has a lower Cd resulting in a higher top speed.
Right. Note that drag refers to aerodynamic drag, the resistance of air towards moving an object through it, that needs to be overcome.

Ken, if the gearing is changed and theoretical top speed is lowered wouldn't that result in a quicker run to 168/175 but not assist in surpassing that speed?
That's correct.

spaceball.gif
spaceball.gif
When the funeral home is right next door to the cemetery.

Back