• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

when buying who pays for the inspection?

im about to buy my first NSX finally. And i was wondering when i get the inspection done by acura(or if anyone would recommend me somewhere i live in so cali) or whatever, who usaually pays for the inspection? Buyer or seller?

Buyer.

When you're buying a house, who pays for the inspection? When you're buying a high ticket item, house or car, wouldn't you want the party that's doing the inspection being responsible and representing your best interests? Or, would you prefer that the party doing the inspection represents the seller's best interests? Just a thought :-)

veilstylez said:
if anyone would recommend me somewhere i live in so cali
Huntington Beach - Autowave
Oceanside - Applied Motorsports

Both of these places specialize in servicing NSXs, and both are familiar with all the common NSX problems (as well as with most aftermarket NSX modifications).

Last edited:
I recomend Autowave in Huntington Beach (do a search, there's plenty of information on Shane and Ron on this forum) and I've heard good things about John Martin up in Torrance (South Bay Acura?).

Buyer pays for the inspection... should run about $100.

Actually, you're wrong...it's the sellers responsibility. Check out the DMV site.

"When a car is sold, who is responsible for the inspection?

The seller is required to provide the buyer with a valid smog inspection certification at the time of the sale or transfer. Smog certifications are good for 90 days from the date of issuance. "

Just thought you'd like to know...

06Ridgeline said:
Actually, you're wrong...it's the sellers responsibility. Check out the DMV site.

"When a car is sold, who is responsible for the inspection?

The seller is required to provide the buyer with a valid smog inspection certification at the time of the sale or transfer. Smog certifications are good for 90 days from the date of issuance. "
You're talking about something else entirely.

A "smog inspection" is required in certain states and/or municipalities by law. Except where noted to the contrary, the seller is normally responsible for anything required by law for the car to be street legal.

However, the question was about a "pre purchase inspection", usually by a qualified mechanic, to identify any mechanical and aesthetic problems with the car. Unless agreed to otherwise by the seller, the buyer typically pays for a pre purchase inspection.

That question is like one of those stores where they don't have price tags - if you have to ask the price, you are shopping in the wrong store! hehe ;-)

Back