• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Where did you find your NSX?

I had zero intentions of buying an NSX. I wanted one, but knew Id pay a pretty penny bringing it accross the border into Canada. Plus I was happy with my 366whp RSX-S. One day I was checking out Kijiji and came accross one in the next provence over. Took a small road trip that day, tested it out. Talked the Owner down to 21k CAD and picked it up the next weekend. Later sold the RSX before moving to Germany. Now the NSX lays dorment under cover until I move back summer 2017.

Last June (I believe), I found a Berlina Black 1991 with like 148k KM on it via my local Vancouver, BC CL page. As soon as the garage door started to lift and I saw the tail of that bad boy, I knew instantaneously I that I had to have it. Couldn't afford not to buy it!

I have been looking through the prime classifieds, autotempest, craigslist, cars.com, autotrader and cargurus daily and haven't quite found what I am looking for. I was reading some posts about NSX purchases and got to thinking about what other places I could search. People usually don't talk about how they found their car, only where they found it and how they got it. So...how did you find your NSX?

Found mine on Carsforsale.com after searching every site known to man for a month on a daily basis. I was lucky in that the owner had just placed the ad and it hadn't spread yet to other sites, so it was just me and one other potential buyer.
Did you find a car yet?

Found mine on Carsforsale.com after searching every site known to man for a month on a daily basis. I was lucky in that the owner had just placed the ad and it hadn't spread yet to other sites, so it was just me and one other potential buyer.
Did you find a car yet?

I have. Found it on cars.com.

I had been about a years since I sold my first NSX (forced sale since I had been out of work for more than a year). Every night I would go through all of the customary webs sites looking for an NSX. I was particularly looking for an NA2 car, preferably a red/tan one. Anyway, on a Sunday night I came across an add on Craig's List for a 97 NSX in North Hollywood, CA, about 10 miles from my house. The only problem was that the asking price was about $8,000 to $10,000 less than the going rate for an early NA2 NSX. I thought to myself, there must be something wrong with the car. But, I could not pass up the opportunity, so, I called the seller early Monday morning and made an appointment to see the car later in the morning.

When I got there I learned that it was a Spa Yellow Pearl NSX with about 112,000 mile on the clock. Modifications included 2002 wheels, tinted windows, a Pioneer double din stereo with navigation, and a Valentine radar detector. The car looked really clean, inside and out for its age and mileage, but there were no maintenance records available since the owner had died and the family did not bother looking for the maintenance paperwork. The entity selling the car for the family was a German auto repair shop. The repair shop representative said that they had gone over the car and replace the valve gaskets, spark plugs and a few other minor fixes. Their impression of the car was that is was fairly clean and in good condition. After going over the car and taking it for a spin, I decided that it was a very good deal. The only problem I had, was the high mileage and the lack of maintenance records. But, I quickly decided that it was a Honda, and 112,000 miles was nothing to be greatly worried about. So, I decided to make an offer at a little bit lower price (I got greedy). They refused, so I offered to buy the car for the selling price under the condition that I would first take the car to someone to perform a PPI.

Since my normal mechanic was too far away, I took the car to Glendale Acura. There they did a thorough non-invasive inspection. I paid extra to have them perform a compression test. All test and inspection points came back good. They were however, concerned about the timing belt. My thought, that even if I had to replace the timing belt, It would still be a good deal. So I offered to put down a deposit to hold the car until I was able to obtain a cashiers check from my bank. The shop representative told me that I did not need to put down a deposit, that he would hold the car for me for a day. So, I found the nearest branch of my bank and headed over there to get a cashiers check.

When I returned about an hour later, the shop representative said that he had received five calls inquiring about the car, and one over-the-phone offer for $5,000 more than the selling price. However, the representative said that he would keep his word and sell the car to me. So, I bought the car, and picked it up the next day since they needed to have the car smog tested as required by California law.

I have now owned the car for a year and a half, and it is still looking a running great. The only problem was a blown radiator hose when I took the car to the track. I also may need a new clutch since it appeared to be slipping on another track weekend. I have also made some mods and have or will be making some more modifications in the near future. You can read about my build in the "Build Thread here on Prime. See link below:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/190361-MCano-s-97-Spa-Yellow-Build

Well that sums it up! Thanks for taking the time to read my post.

Last edited:
Good read. You are lucky they didnt sell it under you. I guess money doesnt talk in all situations.

OK, so here is my story, pardon the length:

I have always thought the NSX was a cool car, but it wasn't until my final semester of college that all of my buddies and I had a celebratory lunch where we discussed what were were going to do once we got jobs in our field. It was during that conversation that I realized I might be able to buy one in a few years if everything went well. Six months after graduation, I got a pretty good job and casually looked for NSXs in the Dallas area. Of course prices were too much for a guy with student loans that had just started a new job, so I waited and began looking for S2000's instead. I found one in Houston for $15k and bought in in august of 2011. In 2012, I came into some serious money, paid off my student loans and all other debt and began saving. I also began looking for an NSX again, but was a bit more serious. It was still out of my price range, but I was hoping that a real deal would pop up and I might just be able to nab it. I was vigilant, pouring over all of the sites listed in this thread several times a day. Some decent ones popped up, but sold before I could even fly out to look at them. I came close to buying a couple of them, but they ended up just not being what I wanted. Seeing how prices began to rise, I became more and more anxious. I had to get one soon before prices became too inflated. I began to get serious. I put together a checklist to make sure everything was looked over and no detail was left un-scrutinized. Eventually I narrowed it down to a few that might work for me. I did my legwork and narrowed it down to one that was about 10 hours away in Albuquerque. I drove out there with a friend, spent the night at a hotel, then went to check out the car in the morning. It was a BB 92 with 59k miles on it, all stock. The asking price on Cars.com was $39k, but he said he would let it go for $37k. I brought up the fact that the car was in snap ring range and he knocked another $1000 off. We took it to the local Acura dealer for a PPI, where we found that a cv boot was slightly leaking, one of the front ball joint boots was cracked and leaking, but everything else was fine. It even had the 60k mile service performed the prior month. All service records were included and verified the cars excellent condition. After going over the car thoroughly and pointing out the cost to repair the few small mechanical problems and minor paint scuffs, he agreed to let it go for $34k. I wired him the money and drove it all the way back to Dallas that same day.

A couple more anecdotes from the way back home:
My friend has a 2002 Camaro with the 5.7 v8. I got to drive it on the way out to pick up the NSX. It was terrible. It had power and torque, but not as much as I would expect from such a huge engine. We did some pulls on vacant stretches of highway. From 60mph, he would pull on me a bit, but after 3rd gear, I could just pull away. I was able to get the car to 140 pretty drama free. I was amazed, even at those speeds, the NSX was perfectly stable, no front lift or floaty handling.

For those of you that are interested, here are the purchase checklists I assembled:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...owgrn-ozoKKmVApPLLiFDyl_-0/edit#gid=737859260

Hope this helps any one still looking. Cheers.

Good read. You are lucky they didnt sell it under you. I guess money doesnt talk in all situations.

The shop representative that I was working with told me that the guy that made the high offer was kind of a jerk, and said some not nice words when his offer was turned down. So I was in a safe place.

I found my car sitting on an Audi dealer's lot. Someone had just traded in their NSX for a brand new S4 only a few days earlier. I bought the car that very day after test driving it. Later I managed to locate the previous owner. When I pulled into the parking lot at his workplace in the NSX to meet him, all of his co-workers came outside and gave him a hard time by saying "your old car is so much better than your new car!"

This was what replaced the NSX. 2001 Audi S4. About as exciting looking as a tarted up Civic. Upon seeing this it was easy to understand his co-worker's comments. My wife didn't get it either asking "why?" His only answer was that he thought that the Audi (being newer) would be more reliable. :)

Audi-S4-white-2001-05GDL312726170A.jpeg

Back