• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Which Digital Camera ....?

Howdee y'all.

I'm looking to purchase a new digital camera soon. Right now, I have a Kodak EasyShare, which is a good camera but am looking for an upgrade.

Just wondering what your preferences are? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

ThaNSX*!
*MErmi*

How serious are you about "upgrading"? Are you considering a digital SLR?

haha i you want an UBER small stylish camera
there is always the Sony T5 or T7

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INT...dcc_DIDigitalCameras_Cyber-shotDigitalCameras
http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INT...dcc_DIDigitalCameras_Cyber-shotDigitalCameras

these arent the best overall camera's BUT they are small, have a pretty large screen, are 5 megapixel and have a 3x zoom with good video capture, these kind of suck if you are taking pictures in dark rooms though i must admit.

i personally want one because the T7 is probably the only camera i can bring with me pretty much anywhere to shoot, i cant exactly bring the big fat SLRlike Digital Fuji to my favorite pub to shoot my friends in time lapse =o

I may work for a Sony owned company, but I far prefer Canon's digital cameras (not just their DSLRs) to Sony's. I've owned the Sony DSC-P1 and the DSC-P93 and I wouldn't recommend them over any of the Canons.

akira3d said:
How serious are you about "upgrading"? Are you considering a digital SLR?

Well, I'm looking at about a $500-600 price tag. Sorry for my ignorance :eek: , but what is the difference b/w the SLR and regular Digital?

Also looking for a camera that is pretty portable and not too bulky.

Thansx y'all!

I've got a 5MP Sony Cybershot. It's been great. Fits in a pocket easily, does everything I need... I use it for vacations, around the house, sometimes at work. Small stuff, but the pics look great. It WAS $400 but I think they're down to about $300 or less...

I was told for everyday use 5MP is all you need. The 7+ are good if you plan on printing pics that are 8 1/2 X 11.

My $.02

I really like Olympus'. I had the 5 mp and it was great. I do like the 800 Thansx!

Hugh said:
All you had to do was ask me! :)

The problem with asking people publicly what camera to buy is that everyone is going to suggest you buy the one they own or want to buy.

I'm going to suggest a few that I neither own nor plan to buy but think would be perfect for you.

Olympus SP-500UZ Ultra Zoom about $380.00

Olympus D-595 Zoom about $220.00

Olympus Stylus 800 about $450.00

Steve's Digicams at http://www.steves-digicams.com/ is a great site with reviews on all the current models out there.

MiamiMermaid said:
but what is the difference b/w the SLR and regular Digital?

Simply put an SLR camera determines how well the image is in focus by actually looking at the image through the actual lens that's taking the picture. It is a feature more commonly found on professional and pro-sumer cameras.

Most digital cameras today focus by sending an infrared beam to the target which enable to camera to electronically calculate the distance and focus properly.

MiamiMermaid said:
I really like Olympus'. I had the 5 mp and it was great. I do like the 800 Thansx!

I had a feeling you'd get a kick out of that one. It's a great camera and it's weather resistant to boot meaning it will be great for cruises, ski trips, deep sea fishing and even Disney World! *wink*

Hugh said:
The problem with asking people publicly what camera to buy is that everyone is going to suggest you buy the one they own or want to buy.

Well, technically, I didn't.

My main camera is a Canon D60 digital SLR...absolutely love it and would recommend ANY of its successors (5D, 10D, 20D, even the Digital Rebel models).

The big problem with SLRs are the size and the price...especially for the higher quality interchangeable lenses (which are another huge advantage over point-and-shoot camera). Since you're looking between $500 and $600, SLRs are out of the question. For most people, SLRs are overkill.

If you're just printing 4x6s, you can get away with 3 megapixels and up. At this size, higher megapixel cameras still can work to your advantage because you can crop in and still print razor sharp 4x6s. A 6 megapixel camera produces beautiful 8x10s.

Hugh said:
I had a feeling you'd get a kick out of that one. It's a great camera and it's weather resistant to boot meaning it will be great for cruises, ski trips, deep sea fishing and even Disney World! *wink*

!!! M-I-C-K-E-Y !!!!

fbbxae.jpg

*ThaNSX*

akira3d said:

My main camera is a Canon D60 digital SLR...absolutely love it and would recommend ANY of its successors (5D, 10D, 20D, even the Digital Rebel models).

The big problem with SLRs are the size and the price...especially for the higher quality interchangeable lenses (which are another huge advantage over point-and-shoot camera). Since you're looking between $500 and $600, SLRs are out of the question. For most people, SLRs are overkill.

If you're just printing 4x6s, you can get away with 3 megapixels and up. At this size, higher megapixel cameras still can work to your advantage because you can crop in and still print razor sharp 4x6s. A 6 megapixel camera produces beautiful 8x10s.

Gotchya! Yea, then I'm looking for a 6 mp or higher. I saw some of the SLR's are upto $3K :eek: It's not for super professional use but definitely would like to have a camera that produces lovely photos .... ThaNSX* for your input !
*Mermi*

akira3d said:

I have an Olympus E-20N that I'm looking to replace. My main complaint with the old E-20 is the lack of buffer size. I want a camera that I can take multiple images in rapid succession with.

I'll probably replace the old girl early next year so I'm just starting to snoop around at what's out there. I want my SoS headers first!

Hugh said:
I have an Olympus E-20N that I'm looking to replace. My main complaint with the old E-20 is the lack of buffer size. I want a camera that I can take multiple images in rapid succession with.

I'll probably replace the old girl early next year so I'm just starting to snoop around at what's out there. I want my SoS headers first!

pictures pictures pictures
please please send me my pictures :tongue: ;)

Re: *ThaNSX*

MiamiMermaid said:
I saw some of the SLR's are upto $3K*Mermi*

My roommate's was $5,000, plus 2 Nikkor Lenses and flash system... spent a hair over $7,000 for it.

He has a Nikon D2X, and kinds of wishes he had waited for the Nikon D200, as it's $1600 and would have been a better value for a college Photo-Ill major.

http://bhphoto.com is the best photo gear site I know and we've bought probably $8,000 worth of equipment in the past 6 months, and everytime (except my current order of back-ordered 400spd film) each time I've received the gear in less than 4 days, and it's packaged with care.

rickysals said:
http://bhphoto.com is the best photo gear site I know

B&H is a GREAT place to buy from. I get their printed catalogs too. They have the Olympus Stylus 800 in stock at $339.95. Great price! Are you listening Miss Mermaid? :)

Hugh said:
B&H is a GREAT place to buy from. I get their printed catalogs too. They have the Olympus Stylus 800 in stock at $339.95. Great price! Are you listening Miss Mermaid? :)

I agree. B&H is the place to buy from and also has great prices!

what do you need a 6MP camera for? unless you're printing larger than 8x10 pics or are really cropping out a lot of the pic and printing, the pixel numbers become a marketing gimmick. I'm ordering a Canon S2-IS to replace a Canon G1 for my wife (that's only 5MP and more than enough). She's mostly a point and shoot sort of gal, but she wants the big zoom lens (12x) with image stabilization, normal batteries (it takes AA so if they die while on the road you can just pick some up anywhere), it powers on and is ready to take a pic in 1 second. You need to think about all these things rather than just 'I want a camera, what do I get'. The Canon S2 runs around $450.

i see you were given the links to steve's .. also check out dpreview.com

MiamiMermaid said:

Wow, I sure do look different . Must've been the lighting ;) haha

I wonder whats going on behind the scenes there.....Hummm. :rolleyes:

By the way I pretty much agree with Rob that 5 megapixiels is plenty and you should just consider the ease of use of the camera over its pixiel rating.

Back