• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Which do you prefer for your NSX.

Which do you prefe?

• Total voters
Trying to get some feedback. If you were to upgrade the factory stereo, keeping the OEM head unit, or replacing with an aftermarket, or using a tablet or portable device...

Which would you prefer?

1) ditching the factory subwoofer and getting slightly superior bass using one or two ultra small and lightweight bazooka style cylinders mounted to the front of one or two seats. Sort of like where the Dali fire extinguisher mounts. They would be quickly removable and you can use one, or two for more bass. Each cylinder will hold two small subwoofers. The tube will be around 3" in diameter.
This will increase leg room in the passenger side by about 3", or it gives you a place to mount your stereo amplifier. In the cabin, no running lines to the trunk or taking up space there or behind the seats.

2) keeping the factory sub with an upgraded driver in there, it is as OEM as it gets. Your amp would go behind the passenger seat or in the trunk, but the car would look stock with no bass tube in front of either seat. Slightly less bass reponse.

Hi,

well... after reading your explanations in the other thread, it's hard to choose because the 2 options will be very good.

I'm happy with either of them, but i think i will vote for the bazookas as i think they both will weight less than the OEM sub, right dave?? :tongue: (i will vote after your weight prediction :wink:)

Thanks,
Nuno

Hi,

well... after reading your explanations in the other thread, it's hard to choose because the 2 options will be very good.

I'm happy with either of them, but i think i will vote for the bazookas as i think they both will weight less than the OEM sub, right dave?? :tongue: (i will vote after your weight prediction :wink:)

Thanks,
Nuno

The bass tubes will be about 2 pounds each. Two would be 4 pounds. Slightly less than the stock sub.

Hi,

The bass tubes will be about 2 pounds each. Two would be 4 pounds. Slightly less than the stock sub.

"Slightly" is all i needed to hear :tongue: add that to better bass and one more option for amp location, and it's an easy decision: Bazookas it is!!

EDIT - and Dave, which do you prefer?? aeheh

Nuno

Hi,

"Slightly" is all i needed to hear :tongue: add that to better bass and one more option for amp location, and it's an easy decision: Bazookas it is!!

EDIT - and Dave, which do you prefer?? aeheh

Nuno

It depends. I'm trying to stuff a 5.5" into the stock cabinet. We will see. I haven't built the tubes either, so I have to do one and see how that sounds. I don't have a preference until I hear both.

Bass tube in front of the seat? Not underneath it? How does that look?

Kind of like this but without the extinguisher head

7470549460_fff078f4f8_c.jpg

^ i think that position won't interfere with our feet and if it's in the lowest and back most position, we won't notice it mutch.

What drivers in the bass tubes?

What drivers in the bass tubes?

I am looking at 3 different ones. Don't know yet. I am sourcing some of these as parts from home speaker manufacturers. They are 8 ohm but two of them in parallel give me a 4-ohm load. One is used in artison speakers, one is used by definitive technology, one is made by tang band. I have to see which gives me the best response in what I am looking for. Sounds like you are not following my stereo build thread. To fully understand what I am doing you have to follow that thread.

Last edited:
^ i think that position won't interfere with our feet and if it's in the lowest and back most position, we won't notice it mutch.

Oh believe me, I tried putting something of similar size there and it truly is not in your way at all.

I am using tapatalk on my phone and it doesn't show the vote option. Will do it on the computer at work.

So you'd take that option even if it is less bass and you have to take up trunk space and run wires through the engine bay?

From the looks of it I may have to make both options available.

For me the bass isn't really important. It's loud enuf as is stock and I don't listen to my music or radio really loud anyway. In my case, I rather put the amp behind the seat because my trunk is occupied with other stuffs already.

So you'd take that option even if it is less bass and you have to take up trunk space and run wires through the engine bay?

From the looks of it I may have to make both options available.

So is my trunk. I store my targa in there, plus I have a VRH tank in there, and I have little interest in running signal wires through the engine bay. I've already removed my cd changer. I refuse to take up space on the driver's side where a spare tire won't fit in there. A lot of car stereo installers think Acura left that little indent in the trunk for them to fill with an amp... :rolleyes:

that's why I liked the idea of the amp going under the carpet. Honestly with my speaker system, with what you are describing, you won't even need a sub. I have more bass already without a sub than the OEM system with a sub.

It sounds like you already made up your mind on which option you prefer, so what's the point of even having the poll? Not that I mind or anything, since I agree with the bass tubes and not running anything to the trunk. It's your project and you're doing all the engineering on it, so you should proceed in the way you think is right. I'd rather see you work on one option (either one) and have the kit come out quicker instead of working on parallel projects.

I'll work on parallel projects anyway because I need to hear both. I haven't made up my mind at all, it isn't just for me, I am trying to just make sure everyone understands the pluses and minuses of each one. But if the vote comes in 90% that people don't like something, I will probably just not waste any time on it at all. It sounds like both are good options so I will continue work on both and report back with results. I do however want people to vote so I can get a real sense of which is preffered by most people.

Bass tubes are a great idea, especially if they are covered in OEM-like vinyl or leather to blend in visually...

Well I can make them any color. If I get good Sound and enough orders I can have them painted silverstone or imola or berlina black, actual automotive color and spray painted. I can even make a kit to make them available as an add on to the factory systems. But that paint work raises the cost. Maybe I will make them all silverstone because it's the best color anyway.

First things first. I'm using 4" woofers. So let's see how they sound first.

Have you looked into the v3 version of ztoolmans sub box. I have a v2 and the thing is amazing. I removed everything to do with the OEM audio system and replaced it with aftermarket. Right down to the wires. I have the amp behind the passenger seat. Sub in passenger floor and 6.5s in the door built into the existing speaker housing but modified similar to what SOS sells for the doors but sealed and dynamated. It hits highs that hurt your ears and lows that will piss off you neighborhood. Don't know why you would want to keep the stock head unit. It's not even the expensive part of the system.

Have you looked into the v3 version of ztoolmans sub box. I have a v2 and the thing is amazing. I removed everything to do with the OEM audio system and replaced it with aftermarket. Right down to the wires. I have the amp behind the passenger seat. Sub in passenger floor and 6.5s in the door built into the existing speaker housing but modified similar to what SOS sells for the doors but sealed and dynamated. It hits highs that hurt your ears and lows that will piss off you neighborhood. Don't know why you would want to keep the stock head unit. It's not even the expensive part of the system.

Because I'm not willing to reduce passenger space at the front by a sub and at the rear by an amp. I'm also not willing to add 90 pounds of weight to the car, nor am I keen on altering my center console. Because I also dont want to cut doors or anything else for tweeters, and lastly because I hear a lot of sonic compromises the average person doesn't because this is what I do for a living. I'm guessing you are not reading my stereo thread, because I have talked about this. While I like Z's V3 and I'd go with it from what's currently available, I would have to move a lot of factory wiring including airbag wiring. I'd have to move my power steering unit, then cut small metal brackets. Then I'd have to add roughly 20-25 pounds in, and have a sub that fires into a plastic backed carpet, a pad, and a floormat. For a sub that would need some real EQing to be balanced.

These are all compromises I'm trying to do away with.

Not trying to sound like a jerk... I appreciate the input. I'm just trying to accomplish a different goal.

Guys I appreciate the intent to help, but you guys are trying to "solve my problem" with traditional existing equipment and I've moved way beyond all of this already. Please reply to this thread only if you've read my stereo thread, and want to give input about my two choices listed here. If you wish to give input on overall stereo installation and components, do it on my other thread.

Again, I really really appreciate it guys, don't take me the wrong way. I'm not trying to be a jerk. But this thread is a continuation of my efforts on a totally different type of project. :smile:

Back